Massicor

Quick thoughts on battalion1944

14 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

Sup fellas.

So i just wanted to make a small post on some quick thoughts iv had about battalion recently...mostly out of boredom :P

So we have all seen the gameplay video for battalion and fuck me its great looking...already looks more fun than any game iv played over the past few years. Bulkhead as expected know what what the community want and how to deliver it and to me this reinforces how successful this game can be. I backed battalion and days of war as they both started on kickstarter and iv always had the feeling that bulkhead had a more concrete basis and bigger target audience than driven arts had meaning they would more than likely be much more successful than driven arts.

Since the start of DoW being kickstarted iv been signed up to there forums and reading/making  topics and same with battalion but the big difference is that driven arts had attracted the day of defeat playerbase who fundamentally reject mostly anything CoD like to the point of basically alienating themselves to there own very small community as they had driven away any other feedback or ideas on how to change DoW on the forums and discord etc. This in turn has now lead to the game being basically dead and as of current anyone of their discord is now just awaiting new updates from devs (mainly the new movement animations).

What i would say here is iv done everything i can on the forums,discord and chatting to the devs at driven arts to try get the dev's to move away from the DoD gameplay direction they have pursued and made them aware during the full development process of the risk there taking in catering to the DoD playerbase as small as it is and not taking seriously enough the feedback from other players from different audiences which in turn is a much bigger audience than DoD. Iv told them what they should consider changing direction through out the process to make there game more successful and its not been until very recently after they released to EA and videos of feedback on their game have been made by people like Phantasy that they seem to be listening a bit more and making changes based on these videos (the same changes iv been telling them to make during there full alpha process) but its all a bit too late as most people interested in the game got there taste of DoW and didnt like what they seen so then driven arts since have taken a more broad variety of feedback onboard from non DoD playerbases but again too late as first impressions count most and they missed that with there DoD based EA release.

Anyways what im getting at is mainly that the bulkhead team seemed to have had there heads screwed on during the full process of development and knew exactly how to make there game successful whereas driven arts i cant say the same. I dont want to  specifically bash the driven arts team as iv talked to lee and they have done what they said they would do ....taken feedback onboard from the community...but they have taken the wrong feedback onboard and iv told them this several times and most often its illogical feedback from the DoD playerbase they have taken onboard and what makes me sad is the fact that even the DoD playerbase dont play the game ...the game is dead as of now and whether this will change is to be seen and if it does it will be with the introduction of the map maker. Iv posted many indepth topics on driven arts forums to try help them make there game a success and planned on doing the same on this forum for bulkhead ..difference  is iv made little posts on this forum compared to  driven arts as iv said before bulkhead seem to not need anywhere near as much help from the community as they already know what we want and how to produce this whereas iv made loads of topics on driven arts forums to try help them as from the kickstarter i felt they needed much more help to make there game more successful and to get them to open there minds to feedback from other communities and not just DoD.

Final thing id like to say again is a massive welldone to bulkhead on how they have done things so far and what they have produced and id like to point out iv seen mostly positive feedback from people who seem to be informed of what this game was actually meant to be and most of the negative feedback seems to be from misinformed people who didnt read any info on the kickstarter for battalion on what type of game this was supposed to be. Phantasy's video describes this perfectly.

Id like some comments on whether the current gameplay video has met your expectations of the bulkhead team as of yet :)

Edited by Massicor

1 hour ago, Massicor said:

Sup fellas.

So i just wanted to make a small post on some quick thoughts iv had about battalion recently...mostly out of boredom :P

So we have all seen the gameplay video for battalion and fuck me its great looking...already looks more fun than any game iv played over the past few years. Bulkhead as expected know what what the community want and how to deliver it and to me this reinforces how successful this game can be. I backed battalion and days of war as they both started on kickstarter and iv always had the feeling that bulkhead had a more concrete basis and bigger target audience than driven arts had meaning they would more than likely be much more successful than driven arts.

Since the start of DoW being kickstarted iv been signed up to there forums and reading/making  topics and same with battalion but the big difference is that driven arts had attracted the day of defeat playerbase who fundamentally reject mostly anything CoD like to the point of basically alienating themselves to there own very small community as they had driven away any other feedback or ideas on how to change DoW on the forums and discord etc. This in turn has now lead to the game being basically dead and as of current anyone of their discord is now just awaiting new updates from devs (mainly the new movement animations).

What i would say here is iv done everything i can on the forums,discord and chatting to the devs at driven arts to try get the dev's to move away from the DoD gameplay direction they have pursued and made them aware during the full development process of the risk there taking in catering to the DoD playerbase as small as it is and not taking seriously enough the feedback from other players from different audiences which in turn is a much bigger audience than DoD. Iv told them what they should consider changing direction through out the process to make there game more successful and its not been until very recently after they released to EA and videos of feedback on their game have been made by people like Phantasy that they seem to be listening a bit more and making changes based on these videos (the same changes iv been telling them to make during there full alpha process) but its all a bit too late as most people interested in the game got there taste of DoW and didnt like what they seen so then driven arts since have taken a more broad variety of feedback onboard from non DoD playerbases but again too late as first impressions count most and they missed that with there DoD based EA release.

Anyways what im getting at is mainly that the bulkhead team seemed to have had there heads screwed on during the full process of development and knew exactly how to make there game successful whereas driven arts i cant say the same. I dont want to  specifically bash the driven arts team as iv talked to lee and they have done what they said they would do ....taken feedback onboard from the community...but they have taken the wrong feedback onboard and iv told them this several times and most often its illogical feedback from the DoD playerbase they have taken onboard and what makes me sad is the fact that even the DoD playerbase dont play the game ...the game is dead as of now and whether this will change is to be seen and if it does it will be with the introduction of the map maker. Iv posted many indepth topics on driven arts forums to try help them make there game a success and planned on doing the same on this forum for bulkhead ..difference  is iv made little posts on this forum compared to  driven arts as iv said before bulkhead seem to not need anywhere near as much help from the community as they already know what we want and how to produce this whereas iv made loads of topics on driven arts forums to try help them as from the kickstarter i felt they needed much more help to make there game more successful and to get them to open there minds to feedback from other communities and not just DoD.

Final thing id like to say again is a massive welldone to bulkhead on how they have done things so far and what they have produced and id like to point out iv seen mostly positive feedback from people who seem to be informed of what this game was actually meant to be and most of the negative feedback seems to be from misinformed people who didnt read any info on the kickstarter for battalion on what type of game this was supposed to be. Phantasy's video describes this perfectly.

Id like some comments on whether the current gameplay video has met your expectations of the bulkhead team as of yet :)

Thoughts on Battalion 1944, 90% of the post is you ranting about a different game :thinking:

Posted (edited)

suppose thats true :P

But overall its basically saying that bulkhead have listened to the right community feedback compared to driven arts.

Edited by Massicor

I did say from the start.. but people got upset when I made comments on Days of War, even though literally everything I said would happen, including plagiarism.. happened. 

It's not a case of listening to the 'right' community, it's more that we had a plan, we've made 2 games before, and we have a design formula for Battalion.. The community help us balance and iron things out. 

Our amazing gameplay programmer Dave has done awesome work over the last year to make the feel just right..
Joe

Posted (edited)

I really don't understand your point and this thread has nothing to do with Battalion 1944. If DoW was made to be a CoD style S&D focused WW2 game they would have the new CoD, Battalion 1944, and to some extent CS:GO as competition. The DoW developers were DoD Source players and made a game that appealed to them - the same thing Bulkhead is doing but with CoD2/CoD4. Back in the day, at least for NA (I can't speak for EU), DoD was the 2nd largest competitive team fps game played in CAL (yes, over CoD 1 and CoD 2) so targeting that community wasn't a bad idea on their part.

The DoW developers have actually gone away from what the competitive DoD community wanted and currently the game is dead. They've ignored input from the ProDoD mod creator and both the competitive DoD 1.3 and DoD Source communities. They have listened to the realism or casual playerbase and to no one's surprise, the game is dead because they've ignored the people that would dedicate the next few years or more to their game and listened to the crowd that will jump ship to the next shiny new game. No one from the competitive DoD scene has any faith in the development team anymore and most have given up on the game already. Personally I haven't played it in over 2 months now.

I'm not here to turn Battalion into DoD as I understand what Battalion is trying to do and I'm looking forward to playing something that is competitive and not broken. Just offering my viewpoint as someone that played competitive DoD for a few years 10+ years ago and was involved in the DoW fiasco earlier this year.

Edited by jeffu

Well actually jeffu its because they listened to the DoD playerbase that the game has died off so you seem to be misinformed when you say the driven arts devs did not listen to the DoD playerbase thats all the did during the full process...was listen and take feedback from the DoD playerbase and implement what they suggested.

I'm not going to argue with you on the Battalion 1944 forums about another game. Just know that DoW in its current state is nothing like what the competitive DoD community wanted.

Bulkhead is most inspired by CoD2/4 and taking suggestions from the CoD playerbase. You're obviously more interested in the older CoD gameplay. Not sure why you can't be open to more than one type of fps gameplay as I've played many many fps games since DoD and enjoyed them all for what they were but it looks like you've found the right game here.

Posted (edited)

Well jeffu iv been very active during the process of DoW and just know this.....only feedback has been taken from the DoD playerbase (alot of whom say they followed/played competitive DoD) and the others are diehard fans of the mods. Yes it might not be the same competitive wise as the mods but that's not from lack of trying from the devs as they used the feedback from competitive players and the game was a shit show because of it so they made small changes ....but again the game is very much still a DoD clone even with those small changes and only until very very recently have they decided to try something new as the game is obviously feeling the effects from catering to only DoD players. So no you cant blame the game being basically dead on not listening to pros and competitive players as they did and like i said the game was a shit show because of it and would have died longgggggg before it even got to EA.

Also im very open to other types of fps games... you have just made a massive assumption that i dont like anything other than CoD! I was always a MoH player not a CoD player and i also backed DoW knowing it wasnt going to be the same as CoD.

Anyways your right on one thing ..i dont wanna turn this into a full scale DoW/DoD thread as the main comparison still remains.....Bulkhead knew who to listen to and knew what would work and what wouldnt and listened to the right feedback and i cant say the same for driven arts as much as i respect the effort there small team have put into the game and doing as they said they would ..listen to player feedback its just that the wrong feedback was taken onboard and as Joe said ...they didn't plan it out properly.

So im not going to reply in this thread anymore ...Said what i wanted to say :)

Edited by Massicor

7 hours ago, [DEV] BRAMMERTRON said:

I did say from the start.. but people got upset when I made comments on Days of War, even though literally everything I said would happen, including plagiarism.. happened. 

It's not a case of listening to the 'right' community, it's more that we had a plan, we've made 2 games before, and we have a design formula for Battalion.. The community help us balance and iron things out. 

Our amazing gameplay programmer Dave has done awesome work over the last year to make the feel just right..
Joe

Do not underestimate the community that you have here, we're talking about pro's and a bunch of other highly competitive players who can be a BIG help if you know how to use them. 

On 8.4.2017 at 6:18 AM, Massicor said:

Sup fellas.

So i just wanted to make a small post........................................................

tl;dr sorry :P

On 8.4.2017 at 9:14 PM, RAFF said:

Do not underestimate the community that you have here, we're talking about pro's and a bunch of other highly competitive players who can be a BIG help if you know how to use them. 

Well, I got to say that I haven't ever seen a company take this much feedback in so early stage of the game development as Bulkhead has. So many ex pros / casters etch have had the opportunity to help make this game as good as it can be. To even suggest that bulkhead is underestimating the community is almost a insult :D 

Not to mention the confirmation of mod support etch....

2 minutes ago, Cookiebot said:

Well, I got to say that I haven't ever seen a company take this much feedback in so early stage of the game development as Bulkhead has. So many ex pros / casters etch have had the opportunity to help make this game as good as it can be. To even suggest that bulkhead is underestimating the community is almost a insult :D 

Not to mention the confirmation of mod support etch....

Yeah, not trying to take anything away from them, just want them to keep going :)

On 4/8/2017 at 10:44 AM, jeffu said:

The DoW developers have actually gone away from what the competitive DoD community wanted and currently the game is dead. They've ignored input from the ProDoD mod creator and both the competitive DoD 1.3 and DoD Source communities. They have listened to the realism or casual playerbase and to no one's surprise, the game is dead because they've ignored the people that would dedicate the next few years or more to their game and listened to the crowd that will jump ship to the next shiny new game. No one from the competitive DoD scene has any faith in the development team anymore and most have given up on the game already. Personally I haven't played it in over 2 months now.

I will have to stop you right there lol.  The player base began to die immediately after the 1.0.4.3 update in February in which they instead of focusing on game breaking bugs like server list and weapon polish they instead focused all their effort in making auto's even harder, making bunny hopping "perfect" and took a specific comp players suggestions on tweaking Carentan that was a disaster and took away from the FUN it had with the double cap in the middle of the street - all for competitive purposes.   

The Realism Community as expected is shot down at every moment we post anything on the forums.  When is even the last time you saw a realism player suggest something compared to a comp player who sits on Discord all day waiting to talk to the Devs?  No sir, let's not try to do what every comp community does and blames us realism folk.  The only thing we "changed" was the fact they will be making a separate server mode for realism servers AT THE END of production.  

VOIP - Content - Weapon handling - FPS

Those are what drove the players away.  Not the realism community.  

Edited by Switz

Sounds like a lot of butt hurt around here

For a Dev to add his 2cents tops it off lol

Let both games get to the end before carrying on.