Tiptup

Balance inspiration with innovation

Tiptup    19

Hello,

I’d like to first like to introduce myself and provide a little context for my intentions/biases. My alias is Tiptup, however many cod-vets may remember me as kodiak (GameWyze, Nefarious, The Final Stand, DeM, etc). I played Cod1 and 4 at the invite/pro level. My hope is that Battalion becomes a very popular niche esport. I am one of the supporters that recognize the purpose of this project is not to create a realistic WW2 shooter. The developers’ goal to my understanding is to take inspiration from cod2 and cod4 promod with elements of CS match-making and create a classic competitive shooter. I am hyped and the gameplay footage has only intensified that.

To the point: BAT44 is not the first project to attempt to revive the gameplay of a classic competitive game (see. Toxikk, Reflex, Battlerite, Days of War, etc). In my opinion, many of these games have fallen flat because they focused entirely too much on mimicking these games. BAT44 will not succeed if it’s simply cod with matchmaking. BAT44 can certainly take inspiration from cod but at the end of the day it must absolutely forge its own identity and be a great game on its own merits.

One example of BAT44 attempting to add their own flavor to the game is this potential Reinforcement feature in Search & Destroy. I love the idea! It would add incredible depth to the game and make each round unique. After hearing the idea I quickly came up with various possibilities (+1 bomb for the allies, portable mg42 for axis, +1 grenade per player, an allocation of shotguns and/or sniper rifles, extra smoke grenades).  Please, developers, first and foremost this game must be your own. We’re all here because we missed that old school cod gameplay but skins and matchmaking aren’t enough to establish long term appeal. The Reinforcement feature is a great start; please continue this approach.

On an unrelated note competitive games thrive because players have something to play for. COD1 essentially died the moment CPL cancelled the second COD CPL tournament. I believe it may be in your best interest to announce a tournament/league structure as soon as possible to keep your player base motivated. The reality of modern esports is that people flock to the games that people are playing in droves. This creates a long-term stability; the thought that if you put hours into this game, in a year or five people will still be playing it and your 'development' has a payoff. These tournaments do not need to be the grand 100k+ CS level grand prizes but a simple 10k EU and NA tournament would be substantial for early player base growth and stability. Crowd funding is an option as well.

Best regards,

Tiptup

• Upvote 7

Farq-S    370

hey Tiptup, your comments gave great insight into the active competitive scene. being initially sceptical about an economy in Bat44, i can now see how much it could enhance gameplay if done in a way that's sympathetic to the game which hopefully wouldn't detract from the effectiveness of such an economy.

+1 from me

ToonBE    254
7 hours ago, Tiptup said:

Hello,

I’d like to first like to introduce myself and provide a little context for my intentions/biases. My alias is Tiptup, however many cod-vets may remember me as kodiak (GameWyze, Nefarious, The Final Stand, DeM, etc). I played Cod1 and 4 at the invite/pro level. My hope is that Battalion becomes a very popular niche esport. I am one of the supporters that recognize the purpose of this project is not to create a realistic WW2 shooter. The developers’ goal to my understanding is to take inspiration from cod2 and cod4 promod with elements of CS match-making and create a classic competitive shooter. I am hyped and the gameplay footage has only intensified that.

To the point: BAT44 is not the first project to attempt to revive the gameplay of a classic competitive game (see. Toxikk, Reflex, Battlerite, Days of War, etc). In my opinion, many of these games have fallen flat because they focused entirely too much on mimicking these games. BAT44 will not succeed if it’s simply cod with matchmaking. BAT44 can certainly take inspiration from cod but at the end of the day it must absolutely forge its own identity and be a great game on its own merits.

One example of BAT44 attempting to add their own flavor to the game is this potential Reinforcement feature in Search & Destroy. I love the idea! It would add incredible depth to the game and make each round unique. After hearing the idea I quickly came up with various possibilities (+1 bomb for the allies, portable mg42 for axis, +1 grenade per player, an allocation of shotguns and/or sniper rifles, extra smoke grenades).  Please, developers, first and foremost this game must be your own. We’re all here because we missed that old school cod gameplay but skins and matchmaking aren’t enough to establish long term appeal. The Reinforcement feature is a great start; please continue this approach.

On an unrelated note competitive games thrive because players have something to play for. COD1 essentially died the moment CPL cancelled the second COD CPL tournament. I believe it may be in your best interest to announce a tournament/league structure as soon as possible to keep your player base motivated. The reality of modern esports is that people flock to the games that people are playing in droves. This creates a long-term stability; the thought that if you put hours into this game, in a year or five people will still be playing it and your 'development' has a payoff. These tournaments do not need to be the grand 100k+ CS level grand prizes but a simple 10k EU and NA tournament would be substantial for early player base growth and stability. Crowd funding is an option as well.

Best regards,

Tiptup

I completely agree with what you are posting.

Sure it can be inspired on the old cod games, but in the end B44 needs to be its own game. Imo it is bad to be compared with cod games too much. They are indeed taking good steps towards making b44 unique by the reinforcement system.

Also, I suggest contacting FaceIt for 3rd part leagues. They also have good 128tick servers and a very good new AC client that keeps improving.

Welcome Tiptup. Your post is spot on!

• Downvote 2

ToonBE    254

additional idea:

because pistol rounds are so cool why not the following --> first round of every side is played with pistols only. The team winning the pistol rounds gets something extra (f.e. extra sniper, utility,..)

Edited by ToonBE
spelling
  • Downvote 3

seekax    167

I see it the other way around, because none of those games mimicked the games they were supposed to be spiritual successors for particularly well. The devs were so focused on giving the game a personal identity in fear of being called a rip off that they failed to capture what made those games great. Change for the sake of change is never a good idea, it must benefit the gameplay. It's okay to copy a working concept, there is no need to reinvent the wheel.

Edited by seekax
  • Downvote 1

xXclusiivE    5
29 minutes ago, ToonBE said:

additional idea:

because pistol rounds are so cool why not the following --> first round of every side is played with pistols only. The team winning the pistol rounds gets something extra (f.e. extra sniper, utility,..)

How original Toon haha! I've never seen that in any recent comp game ever xD

Razor    370
1 hour ago, xXclusiivE said:

How original Toon haha! I've never seen that in any recent comp game ever xD

Almost like Battlefield 4 Gun Master.....

Edited by Razor

ToonBE    254
31 minutes ago, xXclusiivE said:

It was sarcasm because that's another CSGO idea xD

Who cares when its fun!

Haters gonna hate. CSGO will always be my 1 and true love! Obv.

• Downvote 4