JinxSwe

Feedback on Gameplay Video

WeAsOne    217

Someone on Reddit posted this.. I would like to help him the devs to read it ;)

AustiforniaCSGOtrade:

Now that other post really got me thinking about this subject in depth and I went and rewatched all the footage available. And I'm gonna make a few key points. I'll make the points first for TL;DR then elaborate on them later. Side note I am very tired and at times refer to the devs in third person only to speak directly to them in the following sentence but I'm tired and am really hoping this game is a success so if they read it, fantastic, if not, well I'm not editing it either way.

What is positive/in favor of Battalion

• WWII Shooter Hype Train
  • Disenfranchised CoD fans from all platforms
  • No PC loyalty to CoD
  • CoD's lack of real Competitive focus
  • Activisions determination to fuck over their loyal fans

What needs fixing/focus

• Advertising: everyone I talk to hasn't heard about it

First on the list is pretty self explanatory, every year there is a huge hype train for the latest CoD installment. This year it is confirmed to be WWII, and the FPS market is ripe for a WW2 arcade shooter as there hasn't been one in almost a decade. As it stands, Battalion is set to release well before CoD, and if the Devs play their cards right with DLC they will have no problems reeling in people eager to play a WWII. Let me explain; This was in the most recent dev blog, now everything on there seems well and good besides "Supply Drop". This leads me to my next point.

CoD players are sick of Activision's DLC format and corner cutting. They put unique weapons behind an rng slot machine with an insanely low earn rate by playing the game. The alternative is of course shelling out 2 dollars a container. After the insanely negative reaction to the Infinite Warfare trailer, it was announced if you paid an extra $20 for it, you would get a remastered version of the fan favorite of the franchise: Modern Warfare. The statement from Raven, the Developers of Modern Warfare Remastered, or MWR, said they would keep the game original. It took 3 months for Activision to bastardize the game with an insane amount of DLC locked behind a slot machine. You could build it with "parts" but it took an insane amount of playing time to get enough parts to craft any of these weapons. So please for the players and your own success, If you are doing loot cases, make the items cosmetic. The game has a PC focus, and the PC community wont stand for that. Look at the top PC shooters right now. CS:GO and Overwatch. Both have cases, both are cosmetic only. Please don't cut yourselves off at the knees playerbase wise by making a bad DLC decision. I'm willing to pay for map DLC but CS:GO and Overwatch add all maps for free to keep the playerbase from splitting, which might be a good idea for Battalion.

To round out that point, it was discovered that Infinite Warfare and MWR had sub par networking and in the case of MWR, the original game that came out a decade ago had better connection when it was run on the consoles and routers of that era. People aren't happy about this. Another thing many competitive CoD fans are missing is an in game competitive playlist. They use 3rd party sites but it's not the same as queing through the menu at all and getting a ranking in your combat record, and they are lamenting that. The more details that the devs can release about Battalion to reel people in, the better.

The next point is about the PC loyalty to CoD; there is none. The last decent release was Bo3 and it has no playerbase. The casual/arcade shooter role is pretty much empty. Battlefield exists but it has massive maps and lacks the arcade feel of a CoD like title. Overwatch is too far into the arcade genre and kind of flirts with the moba genre with each hero having unique abilities and ultimates. I know that I called it a casual shooter when it's focus is competitive, I don't know how to put this really but I wanted to distinguish it from CS:GO. CS is at it's core a competitive game, and it has 20 years of pedigree to prove that. No game will knock it off that pedestal. I don't want Battalion to even try, it should be marketed as a casual shooter with a really polished competitive game mode, or a competitive game with really polished casual modes, both of which CS:GO is not. The devs mentioned promod for Cod4, this is key. PC is missing a CoD like title, and the more they base it off cod 2 the better. CoD 2 was one of the last CoDs to not have perks/abilities, CoD 4 promod restricted perks for good reason. If there are perks in Battalion, I trust the devs to know what they are doing. If you believe you have a good product for PC, release as many details about it as possible and players will come (we get horny for hud options). Have a good anti cheat and hardware/IP banning like Overwatch and some players may get full on erections at the news of that.

As far as CoD's lack of competitive focus, every year the first month of the game competitively sucks ass as no one can agree on a ruleset and the devs stupidly try to push out of the box rules to relate to the casual CoD player. Yes they throw tournaments throughout the year but they still don't have a polished competitive mode in either of their IPs this year for casual players to play. If Battalion wants to coerce more people in they could use a % of profits from the supposed DLC crates in a monthly tournament, winning team could get like 50 bucks each, but all they really need to do at minimum is have a polished competitive playlist.

As I've pretty much covered the positives here is the one big negative I can see until more gameplay comes out; Nobody knows about this game. Nobody on the few discord servers I frequent, nobody I know in real life that plays video games, nobody. I've done my best to advertise it with word of mouth without sounding like too much of a fanboy. Pay some youtubers or big industry names to follow the twitter or make a video on it. Those videos aren't too pricey for the size of the target audience and viewers are 10x more likely to click on a video if it's a game they haven't seen before that looks good (again with the WWII hype train). Or you could give yours truly an Alpha copy and I can post some sexy gifs to r/gaming and get an old fashioned reddit hypetrain going ;)

So yeah TL;DR at the top, I'm hyped for the game and I'm hoping it does well both for my enjoyment of a large playerbase and the success of the devs :)

• Upvote 5

Farq-S    370

i'm seeing alot of negative comments about movement speed and jumping in the game. in relation to jumping in particular it reminds me of a question i asked the devs a few months ago - will it be possible to mantle objects? the answer i got back was no and my guess is the reason for that is due to technical limitations. my point is, could what people see as excessive jumping be a solution to overcome the absence of mantling?

personally, i have no problem with the jumping because it allows players to navigate the map in a more creative way and avoids the potential for more choke points on the map.

• Downvote 1

ToRRent    6

Gameplay footage looks really good for me! I would like to tone down sprinting speed a little bit because it feels like you can reach end of map in 6 seconds :>

• Upvote 1

[VS-UK]Gom3R    14

Seriously? Jumping around like a bunny? Is it possible to undo the kickstarter? This is a JOKE! Keep it realitic! Is this supposed to be a kiddy game without realitic competative mechanics? Try strapping on full battle gear and jump like that. I am soooooooooooo irritated that I supported you now I cannot find the words. I HOPE you FAIL!

Edited by Gomer_Pyle
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 15

vozER    109
34 minutes ago, Arachnid said:

I totally feel his concern and confusion. He's pretty much summed up my thoughts on this video as well (except the quick scope part). I really hope the gameplay isn't going to stay as "Quakish" as we've seen in the gameplay video.

Edited by vozER
  • Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

Zane    24
2 hours ago, vozER said:

I totally feel his concern and confusion. He's pretty much summed up my thoughts on this video as well (except the quick scope part). I really hope the gameplay isn't going to stay as "Quakish" as we've seen in the gameplay video.

1) I don't get why many people who are looking for an "Authentic WW2 experience" are here instead of being on the Enlisted forums

2) The game plays differently from the trailer because the devs are used to old school shooters and at the same timethey are building the game, so they know better than others how to use the movement system at it best, even cod4 looks way different if played by casual players and pros

3) Do you think playing a game which replicate the WW2 in a realistic way would be fun? Because you know what? War is NOT fun, war is NOT balanced, look at DoD, they have a D-Day map, which replicates quite well the actual place where the landing happened, you think it's fun to play? No, it isn't (at least for the americans) just as it was not fun for the soldiers who died there. I could understand all these complaints if we were talking about a movie, but this is a game, who wants to die 100 times because "hey that's how omaha beach was like, it is realistic" ? 

4) If you guys want something more hardcore and team based there are tons of games out there, most of the ones currently available are not based in WW2, but they are there, if we talk about CoD like games, there is none (except CoD obviously, which is worse every year tho), so if Battalion is not what you're looking for, play other games, you can since they do exist, but for us players who want something more arcadey this is the game we're looking for, so please stop trying to change its direction with your "Authentic WW2 experience" and "realistic" crap.

5) "I don't want to be in a WW2 game where I'm strafe jumping all over the place" strafe jumping was also in old school CoD games, like cod4, I don't get why it's okay to have it there and not in Battalion, maybe the soldiers have learnt to strafe jump in modern days, who knows? Still you guys aren't getting that just because a game is set in WW2 it doesn't have to be realistic.

Edited by Zane
  • Upvote 3
  • Downvote 2

Soldat Ryan    348

@zane you should maybe calm down a bit and accept also different point of views.
If people are complaining about what they are seeing today is, may be, it was not what devs promised in the KS, 1 year ago.

Joe confirm himself this fact on twitter one hour ago :

"Battalion was to be authentic" 
"it's evolved from its original idea"

That said, they choose to move away from the original idea becasue they fear about next AAA game (COD) which will "maybe" attrack a lot of players. This is understandable.
Near future will say if they are right or wrong to move to an arcade game, instead to keep the line of KS.

• Upvote 1

xXclusiivE    5
8 minutes ago, Soldat Ryan said:

@zane you should maybe calm down a bit and accept also different point of views.
If people are complaining about what they are seeing today is, may be, it was not what devs promised in the KS, 1 year ago.

Joe confirm himself this fact on twitter one hour ago :

"Battalion was to be authentic" 
"it's evolved from its original idea"

That said, they choose to move away from the original idea becasue they fear about next AAA game (COD) which will "maybe" attrack a lot of players. This is understandable.
Near future will say if they are right or wrong to move to an arcade game, instead to keep the line of KS.

Okay well can I have my money back? You could have at least publicly announced this months ago. 

• Upvote 1

Zane    24

First of all during the kickstarter they mentioned Cod 2, now I don't think CoD games offer an authentic experience at all, so that is a contraddiction. If it were for the kickstarter video alone i wound't have spent my money on the game, what got me into it was the description. I also doubt they are referring on the new CoD in the tweet, the news was leaked not even a month ago and you don't change the game direction in just a month, to back this there is Phantasy, who did an update video like 3 months ago and talked about how the game was doing, the infos he gave back then match with how the game looks in the trailer. Still my 5 points are still valid, we can argue whether the game direction has changed or not over the last year, but still I find all these complaints kinda annoying, since they rely on the same base " a WW2 shooter has to be realistic".

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

xXclusiivE    5
7 minutes ago, Zane said:

First of all during the kickstarter they mentioned Cod 2, now I don't think CoD games offer an authentic experience at all, so that is a contraddiction. If it were for the kickstarter video alone i wound't have spent my money on the game, what got me into it was the description. I also doubt they are referring on the new CoD in the tweet, the news was leaked not even a month ago and you don't change the game direction in just a month, to back this there is Phantasy, who did an update video like 3 months ago and talked about how the game was doing, the infos he gave back then match with how the game looks in the trailer. Still my 5 points are still valid, we can argue whether the game direction has changed or not over the last year, but still I find all these complaints kinda annoying, since they rely on the same base " a WW2 shooter has to be realistic".

We can argue about it because as you can see Joe made it clear that the game direction changed... See above? lol

3 hours ago, vozER said:

I can finally agree with you on something xD I hope this game succeeds and makes it big but for myself if I knew this is what I would be getting then I would have never backed it. Again for the direction it is going I hope it does amazing.

• Upvote 1

daamN    7

I think he is referring to Battlefield... Not the new COD.

I decided to wait for steam early access to reevaluate the game... i think i've made a good choice. There is still a lot of grey areas, i need to know more about the game to decide if i want to spend money in it.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Zane    24
Just now, xXclusiivE said:

We can argue about it because as you can see Joe made it clear that the game direction changed... See above? lol

Alright take this as a fact, as it is something that happens with most games during their development, if you want to complain about the game failing to meet your expectations you're free to do so, but now it's clear what the devs want this game to be, so if you don't like the direction it has taken, sell your key and move on, don't try to change dev's minds with some excuses as "it's a ww2 game therefore there can't be strafe jumping"

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

xXclusiivE    5
3 minutes ago, Zane said:

Alright take this as a fact, as it is something that happens with most games during their development, if you want to complain about the game failing to meet your expectations you're free to do so, but now it's clear what the devs want this game to be, so if you don't like the direction it has taken, sell your key and move on, don't try to change dev's minds with some excuses as "it's a ww2 game therefore there can't be strafe jumping"

1. Don't assume or accuse me of doing this because you can look back through my post and not once did I...

2. Wanna buy a game key for a friend? LOL

• Upvote 1

Zane    24
Just now, xXclusiivE said:

1. Don't assume or accuse me of doing this because you can look back through my post and not once did I...

1) Wasn't really referring to you, it was more general

2) Which game package do you have? I could be interested

• Downvote 1

jcuz    99
18 minutes ago, xXclusiivE said:

Okay well can I have my money back? You could have at least publicly announced this months ago. 

If you're talking about strafe jumping, heres a quote from the Winter Development update December last year

Battalion 1944’s Movement System

Some of you have started noticing murmurs throughout our forums and our developer twitter accounts that we’re heavily focused on nailing our movement system. Our aim is to make Battalion’s movement easy to pick up but hard to master We’re doing this to allow competitive players to be able to practice their ‘flow’ when moving around maps and enable ‘trick jumps’ to heighten the game’s skill ceiling for the top levels of play. For example we’re looking at the benefits and detriments of strafe jumping, bunny hopping, crouch jumping air movement to make our game feel better to play than any competition.

• Upvote 1

muso    56

Game play looked amazing! really happy with how its coming along. There's already too many slow daddy gamer games out there and its good that we're seeing something fast paced with the potential to be competitive. this is the only style of game that'll compete with cs.

Hit indicators good , TTK good, Recoil good, Movement looks excellent but maybe a bit too fast, would be interested to see speed comparison with cod4. 

Don't rate red dots though takes your eyes away from the centre of the screen when you should be using hearing for location. 

Edited by muso
Extra info
  • Upvote 4
  • Downvote 1

xXclusiivE    5
4 minutes ago, jcuz said:

If you're talking about strafe jumping, heres a quote from the Winter Development update December last year

Battalion 1944’s Movement System

Some of you have started noticing murmurs throughout our forums and our developer twitter accounts that we’re heavily focused on nailing our movement system. Our aim is to make Battalion’s movement easy to pick up but hard to master We’re doing this to allow competitive players to be able to practice their ‘flow’ when moving around maps and enable ‘trick jumps’ to heighten the game’s skill ceiling for the top levels of play. For example we’re looking at the benefits and detriments of strafe jumping, bunny hopping, crouch jumping air movement to make our game feel better to play than any competition.

No that's not what I was talking about lol

Well...

actually I've just this questions...

can we set a "server setting" for:

- the game speed?

- seconds between a jump and an other one?

- red dots in/active? (even if I understand the reasons behind this idea -a good one-)

Personally I'm not interested on a simulator, but I admit that I was hoping into a more mature game approach.

I dislike more and more games like COD/BF/... because they are just run-jump-shot.

I understand that this is a problem that come with the players community, I understand too that If 80% of this community would just run-jump-shot the game would be built for this aspect, and I can survive with them... but if it is reasonable. Actually, and I wouldn't hurt someone, I think it is excessive fast, and this give my fear to jump into a run-run-jump-jump-shot game (😂 😢😭)

As said: I wasn't expecting a simulator. I was ready to see something similar on this pre-alpha video, but actually the feeling is a little bit "mhhh... don't know"

But I still love Battalion for:

- no perks

- no unlock

- nice map(s)

But, as already said, those are sensations; I need play alpha to know if this feeling is right or wrong.

Have fun

👻

• Upvote 3

DukeNukem    189

amma officially hold off on any opinions on the game until the closed alpha. Overall i saw the kickstarter video at the start along with the description of what the aim was which is what pulled me into supporting this game. The direction is turning to something im not in favor of but ill give it a go and still give my critique on it during the closed alpha and beta phases. Till then amma hold off on any other opinions about the scope of the game or relevance between casual/competitive

• Upvote 1

vozER    109
16 hours ago, Zane said:

1) I don't get why many people who are looking for an "Authentic WW2 experience" are here instead of being on the Enlisted forums

2) The game plays differently from the trailer because the devs are used to old school shooters and at the same timethey are building the game, so they know better than others how to use the movement system at it best, even cod4 looks way different if played by casual players and pros

3) Do you think playing a game which replicate the WW2 in a realistic way would be fun? Because you know what? War is NOT fun, war is NOT balanced, look at DoD, they have a D-Day map, which replicates quite well the actual place where the landing happened, you think it's fun to play? No, it isn't (at least for the americans) just as it was not fun for the soldiers who died there. I could understand all these complaints if we were talking about a movie, but this is a game, who wants to die 100 times because "hey that's how omaha beach was like, it is realistic" ? 

4) If you guys want something more hardcore and team based there are tons of games out there, most of the ones currently available are not based in WW2, but they are there, if we talk about CoD like games, there is none (except CoD obviously, which is worse every year tho), so if Battalion is not what you're looking for, play other games, you can since they do exist, but for us players who want something more arcadey this is the game we're looking for, so please stop trying to change its direction with your "Authentic WW2 experience" and "realistic" crap.

5) "I don't want to be in a WW2 game where I'm strafe jumping all over the place" strafe jumping was also in old school CoD games, like cod4, I don't get why it's okay to have it there and not in Battalion, maybe the soldiers have learnt to strafe jump in modern days, who knows? Still you guys aren't getting that just because a game is set in WW2 it doesn't have to be realistic.

1) By authentic, I mean "please have some recoil" and not super fast movement. As I've said before, I don't want the game to feel super realistic. Realistic in a way CoD1 is done yes, but I want it to feel like a 'game'. That make sense? I want the game to be as competitive as possible, and that the timing / shooting requires a lot more skill than the newest CoDs for example.

2) Well... I see a lot of similarities with the guy playing the game as I think I would play the game. I'm used to old-school shooters as well (CoD1, CoD2 & CoD4 mostly). But they seem to put 90% of CoD4 mechanics to the game, not the more old-school shooters like CoD1 and CoD2. Then they probably should know that the movement speed is redicilously fast. He's not even talking about "casual" or "pro" gamers in the video. I don't know why are you bringing this up.

3) Jesus. Read my 2). I never said anything about realism. And neither did the guy in the video. But to answer your question shortly: no I don't want it to be "WW2 replica with 100% realism" and I don't think it would be fun. Did you watch the video? Authenticity and Realism are two different things. You are driving offtopic with the rest of your reply.

4) Yes I want a little more hardcore game with adding recoil and slowing the movement speed. That's all I'm asking for now. The rest of the gameplay looks really good imo. No, I don't want to play modern war shooters, I want to play WW2 themed war games that simply require skill. If you have played CoD1, that's exactly what I want with competitive scene. I'd still play CoD1 but it's simply dead competitive-wise. BAT44 is something I've been waiting since forever (since CoD2 release) and I agree that the newest CoDs are pure shit. With your logic, I will answer this the way you're answering: "if  you want to play more "arcade crap game", then go play quake and go talk to their forums".

The first trailer they released seemed to have more recoil and a lot slower movement speed. That's why I'm concerned, because exactly those two reasons had my hopes up high.

5) Yep just like in CoD1 and CoD2, just without sprint. Which I dislike a lot. The movement speed is simply too fast.

6) Even if someone has different opinion than you, doesn't mean that you need to bash them.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 3

vozER    109
16 hours ago, xXclusiivE said:

I can finally agree with you on something xD I hope this game succeeds and makes it big but for myself if I knew this is what I would be getting then I would have never backed it. Again for the direction it is going I hope it does amazing.

Great minds think alike - at least once in every 6 months or so haha :D But yeah. I can't hide my disappointment if the Quake-alike gameplay is going through. I know the new CoD will attract a lot of audience, but if Activision handles it like the newest CoDs there's not much to be afraid of. And to me it feels a little silly to change the whole gameplay just because there's a bigger AAA WW2 shooter coming up. Of course, I understand their concern too, but they should trust their audience to stick up with BAT44 as well. 

Here I am, waiting for another CoD1 to appear some day :] or CoD1 to miraculously have a competitive scene again but without Clanbase - not going to happen :P Oh well

16 hours ago, daamN said:

I think he is referring to Battlefield... Not the new COD.

I decided to wait for steam early access to reevaluate the game... i think i've made a good choice. There is still a lot of grey areas, i need to know more about the game to decide if i want to spend money in it.

To be fair, Battlefield is in a completely different world than BAT44. It has to be the new CoD. Based on the map sizes and player amounts.
Also this https://www.pcgamesn.com/battalion-1944/call-of-duty-ww2-batallion-1944

16 hours ago, xXclusiivE said:

Yeah he does that. Puts word on other peoples mouth and pleads to his own imaginary points.

15 hours ago, [NGBC]CH_SwissWolf said:

Personally I'm not interested on a simulator, but I admit that I was hoping into a more mature game approach.

I dislike more and more games like COD/BF/... because they are just run-jump-shot.

I understand that this is a problem that come with the players community, I understand too that If 80% of this community would just run-jump-shot the game would be built for this aspect, and I can survive with them... but if it is reasonable. Actually, and I wouldn't hurt someone, I think it is excessive fast, and this give my fear to jump into a run-run-jump-jump-shot game (😂 😢😭)

As said: I wasn't expecting a simulator. I was ready to see something similar on this pre-alpha video, but actually the feeling is a little bit "mhhh... don't know"

But I still love Battalion for:

- no perks

- no unlock

- nice map(s)

Battalions seems to have some stuff the newest CoDs have - something I understood that they really don't want. 

Agreed with all the rest. 

• Downvote 1