ToonBE

Rezzed play test discussion thread

100 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

8 minutes ago, WeAsOne said:

First there was only voing to be a compass.. evolved to minimap.. and now red dots :( 

I just hate it to see the enemies on the minimap EVER..

But if it is needed.. but i hope not

oh... i just missed those red dots in the video. I really hope they remove these red dots. I got a headset to hear where shots are coming from. Now i just see them running on the minimap.. Imo this suits battlefield but not a competitive game like this. Teammates would be enough imo. Good communication vs voice servers is a skill aswell right? Normally if your mate gets shot he should call the spot. Now it looks like they might show up on the map.

Edited by sNrklhaai

7 minutes ago, xXclusiivE said:

Movement

• Like said before me everything seems a little too fast(From what I remember there was more quick peeking then strafe jumping in CoD2, there is WAY to much strafe jumping in this current build.)

COD2 had no sprint therefore the movement and strafe was slower, play some COD4 promod and you see the similarities a lot more

1 minute ago, pukiz said:

COD2 had no sprint therefore the movement and strafe was slower, play some COD4 promod and you see the similarities a lot more

Yeah I know, I just don't like it at all but I am not going to bash on it until I can get in there and actually try it out myself. For me I would tone it down about 20-25%

1 minute ago, pukiz said:

I agree on the no sprint, but i think he is right that everything is slightly faster then cod 2. I guess the speed more looks like cod 4 then. But as a cod 1 / cod 2 player I think this moves pretty fast overall. I think normal sprint in real life is fast enough though. Maybe it could meet a bit in the middle.

Posted (edited)

29 minutes ago, Bergman said:

No lean? Did not see that at all. Ditto for prone.....

I re-write what i did in other thread : at 3'10 the german who is killed seems leaning and at 5'00 the player check the corner with leaning too but the movement is furtive. More flagrant at 5'50. (reffering to the eurogamer video)
Prone is on too. No worries about it. Check the video again and you will see it !  ;)

------------

As others said i have the feeling it is a bit too fast and strafe-jump is too much present.
About graphics, IMHO, the textures are (at this stage) a bit too clean and lacking of details. (don't know how to explain it better)
For "red dot", i bet it will be tweakable, so not a big deal.

It is a pre-Alpha and there is a lot of work to do again but the fear i had start to move away from the door. ;)

Edited by Soldat Ryan

3 minutes ago, pukiz said:

Even compared to COD4 it seems much faster. Specially with the player models being so slender.

1 minute ago, xXclusiivE said:

Yeah I know, I just don't like it at all but I am not going to bash on it until I can get in there and actually try it out myself. For me I would tone it down about 20-25%

I'm with xXclusiivE on this one, at least until I've had a chance to try the alpha. Maybe not something drastic as 20-25% for me but at least 10%. Again, subject to change!

The movement looks really good tbh, as a promod player it doesn't seem all that fast, and I think they were aiming for it to be similar to cod4 promod.

Map needs to be worked on, sniper will probably not be all that viable.

ok this topic is becoming toxic so amma post what i posted on another topic on here to regain traction and direction of this topic>>>>>>>>>>>>>

So my take on this gameplay video.....

First id like to say amazing video and it really shows how much this game has come from the original teaser video on the kickstarter. Though i must say the environment seems ALOT brighter than what it was in the original, i kinda feel it should get slightly darker. The pace of the game  is slightly faster than CS:GO and feels closer to COD which is great for the initial goal. Fantastic weapon representation but I have to say the recoil is WAYYYY too controllable. Onto the bullet points:

• The Thompson may be something in which is shooting a pistol round yes but the rifle itself is awkward to hold and will cause inaccuracy. The recoil of it needs to increased to a certain degree and one way you can solve that is for the back of the rifle to be moving around after the 3rd sustained shot group. I was kinda confused with the sight picture because i know the thompson is aimed through the whole in the bottom of the sight and not the top...but ill let it slide, kinda....meh idk...
  • The M1 Garand seemed perfect in its representation other than its recoil and rear sight. Fire speed was nearly perfect (needs to be reduced slightly) but the recoil is VERY controllable in the video. Which is highly untrue in real life. This thing is pumping out a .30 cal round with a ton of powder. A seasoned M1 Garand user will be able to control the recoil to a certain degree but not to where its like a BB gun. Needs to be fixed. Also the rear sight was slightly too large and to be honest when really looking at an M1 Garand Sight you could barely see a thing due its small size. It was meant to be used for accurate shooting. Now i understand why it was represented as "big and clear" but its false to the purpose of the weapon and makes it overpowered in my opinion due to its Semi-automatic capability.
  • The Kar98k was perfect overall no complaints. Only thing is the front sight cover, i couldn't tell but it wasn't just a circle in the front it was a decent sized piece of metal covering the sight.
  • The MP40 has perfect recoil and was the known to be one of the more controllable automatic weapon in WW2. No complaints
  • Pistols seems to be working well.
  • Reloads seems smooth but i think too fast for some weapons. What about the rest of the weapons or the ones in the video going to be for Alpha and the rest will be put in later?

Overall I am  happy to see the gameplay and i am absolutely ready to test this game out in the Alpha!!!

29 minutes ago, sNrklhaai said:

I agree on the no sprint, but i think he is right that everything is slightly faster then cod 2. I guess the speed more looks like cod 4 then. But as a cod 1 / cod 2 player I think this moves pretty fast overall. I think normal sprint in real life is fast enough though. Maybe it could meet a bit in the middle.

27 minutes ago, chippy said:

Even compared to COD4 it seems much faster. Specially with the player models being so slender.

I'm with xXclusiivE on this one, at least until I've had a chance to try the alpha. Maybe not something drastic as 20-25% for me but at least 10%. Again, subject to change!

I'll even accept 15% decrease on the overall speed. Seems even faster the ProMod. TDM will be crazy fast if kept like this. SnD however I can see being slowed down a lot.

57 minutes ago, xXclusiivE said:

I'll even accept 15% decrease on the overall speed. Seems even faster the ProMod. TDM will be crazy fast if kept like this. SnD however I can see being slowed down a lot.

This is it. TDM always is a lot more hectic. Put SnD in there and the whole gameplay slows down. If you run around like a maniac in SnD you die quickly and then you're out. We will see it in testing but I'm convinced SnD won't be anywhere near as frantic as the TDM gameplay. 

Posted (edited)

just got back from Rezzed having spent 4 hours solid in the Battalion 1944 booth. firstly, let me preface my opinion of gameplay by stating my keyboard & mouse skills are 1 on a scale of 1-10.

movement - within the first 5 seconds of playing it felt excellent. my exact feeling was this is a classic cod game. smooth and fluid. in terms of speed it felt very slightly slower than cod4 but barely noticeably so. walking speed while aiming down sight feels slow while using the M1 Garand and faster while using the Thompson. sprint lasts 3 seconds max then stamina depletion takes you into walking speed. the movement didn't feel fast-paced to me but that may be because i'm used to playing destiny and titanfall 2. overall, i felt they've nailed movement. felt really good. if your mastery of movement is better than your enemy you'll most likely win the gunfight.

weapons - i used just 2. the M1 Garand felt weighty and powerful with low recoil and average fire rate. ADS was snappy and iron sights were gorgeous because i had no problem acquiring and tracking targets. if you hit the torso it was a 2 shot kill. 1 shot to head. shots felt like they went where you aimed. the M1 is outclassed at close range by smgs so you have to switch to a pistol (pistols are strong at close quarters by the way and movement speed feels faster when equipped). M1's hipfire is not great which is as it should be and the reload time is slow enough to get you killed if you're caught short mid-gunfight. the Thompson and other smgs dominate at close quarters with good hipfire but there is noticeable damage drop-off from medium range. recoil is on the low side and reload is fast. smgs definitely benefit from the faster movement speed in close quarters but it's not fast enough to make you feel like you're whizzing round the map.

map - the manor house map (same one used in the new trailer) is really good. it's small but has good flow and rewards good positioning. there are no choke points and the only camping spot is upstairs in the house. visibility is excellent with players being easy to pick out even in windows and doorways.

grenades - no issues here so far. they're powerful with a small blast radius. the timer is on the slow side so you're able to avoid them if you move quickly.

HUD - you can see for yourself. it's uncluttered and never gets in the way.

mini-map - i was surprised to see red dots when enemies fired. @KingHoward explained players with hearing impairments would have problems picking up on audible cues like footsteps etc. my personal preference is no red dots but the devs are open to all possibilities.

in my 4 hours there the feedback from players was overwhelmingly positive. the only playable mode is TDM but the devs repeatedly talked very excitedly about their search & destroy mode.

i had to keep telling myself this is an alpha because it was that good.

All-in-all, i think the game is exactly as i hoped it would be and meeting @KingHoward @Brammertron @BigAlexTuna @MrAngryWhiskers and especially James in person who are all very nice chaps for letting me take up residence for 4 hours was well worth the trip.

forgot to mention the devs said they have lots of work to do on animations. They're not finished.

Edited by Farq-S
Additional

4 minutes ago, Farq-S said:

in terms of speed it felt very slightly slower than cod4 but barely noticeably so

Really? because I've watch some CoD4 vids today and BAT44 movement is like 1.5x faster then CoD4s lol

2 minutes ago, xXclusiivE said:

Really? because I've watch some CoD4 vids today and BAT44 movement is like 1.5x faster then CoD4s lol

didn't feel as fast as cod4 to me and sprint felt shorter. it definitely didn't feel faster than cod4 and nowhere near 1.5x faster.

Thanks @Farq-S for your feedback.

I think you reassure some of us about speed :) ... and myself with your stamina comment. ;) Great to know this.

Posted (edited)

1 hour ago, Farq-S said:

mini-map - i was surprised to see red dots when enemies fired. @KingHoward explained players with hearing impairments would have problems picking up on audible cues like footsteps etc. my personal preference is no red dots but the devs are open to all possibilities.

I was also verry surprised.. don't like it but that is the only thing. I will adapt if needed but if they get rid of the red dots i will mary this game :x

Edited by WeAsOne

Was happy to see that it looks like they added Lockbars onto the M1 making it WWII spec, shows that they are taking the feedback on board thankfully. The aperture sight is comically massive, but most games do for visibility.

58dd626150ccd_lockbars1.thumb.jpg.90fce7a2b22c03dc9710ee4573fe42cb.jpg

@Farq-S What did the M1 animation look like if you reloaded midway through a en-bloc clip?

3 hours ago, Farq-S said:

I didn't see red dots for footsteps in the gameplay video. And if it's just for shots i don't see how it aids those with hearing impairments much.

Posted (edited)

19 minutes ago, seekax said:

I didn't see red dots for footsteps in the gameplay video. And if it's just for shots i don't see how it aids those with hearing impairments much.

Because they might not hear where the shots are coming from

Edited by pukiz

3 minutes ago, pukiz said:

At that point it's probably too late for them anyways. This type of game depends on being able to hear footsteps.

Posted (edited)

Hey all, new member and former competitive cod1/2/4 player here.

My initial thoughts from watching the video;

Holy nostalgia! I've remained in the competitive scene here and there over the years, mostly with cs:s/cs:go but nothing ever felt like cod 1/2. The new ones, as we all know, are hot garbage especially when it comes to a competitive setting. The movement speed that everyone is harping on, does as a viewer, seem a little fast. I can tell they were going for that fluid "promod" style of gameplay which isn't a bad thing, especially if they're looking to make a competitive shooter. Another thing you have to take into consideration is the gametype they're playing. DM's/TDM's are always hectic, fast paced, free-for-alls so the gameplay speed shouldn't be representative of actual, competitive style play. 

They look like they nailed the movements and fluidity of classic cod, I just hope that it continues to look and feel natural. Seeing as they hardcoded strafe jumping into the engine, they should have more freedom to change/adapt it as necessary, which I like. 

I was one of the lead contributors to the "DAMN" mod (which was the groundwork for PROMOD) and was a league admin as well as an invite level player for a number of years, so I have a pretty keen understanding of what it takes to tailor things to a competitive setting. It looks like they've nailed a lot of the main aspects. I'm for one super excited and everything I've seen thus is more than promising. I pre-ordered today and I'm really anxious to get in there and put the game through its paces and give some feedback. 

Because it took too long for me to edit my original post; (merged)

Just to add a small critique;

The Thompson seems a little too "pewpew" and reminds me a lot of the AK74u from COD4. It looks like it does way more lower extremity damage than it should. The biggest negative I have from COD4 was the "Run and Gun" mentality that it supported. While it has its place, I think it should be tempered a bit. Allowing the SMG to become too powerful and predominant hinders the growth and skill of other classes, especially bolts/MGs. Whether (in a competitive setting) the number of SMG's per side are limited, damage is fixed in a way that it promotes accurate sprays/bursts, or what-have-you, I think it's something to consider moving forward.  

Edited by comagnum

Hey guys,

Just got back to our Airbnb after the busy 1st full day at the event and my feet are killing, so just dropping in to read through all these posts.

Some great feedback/comments from you guys with only a few namecalls earlier in the thread so we're going pretty good so far!

As a heads up, the next few days will be pretty hectic for us and myself Joe and Tuna will be swamped, so just letting you know at some point next week I'll write up a summary post with some reactions from us about the feedback etc.

It really is useful for us to hear what you like and dislike about the game, I know some things are down to actual game feel so if you're unlucky to not be at EGX there are certain things you just can't get from the gameplay footage just yet but Alpha is just around the corner.

Everyone who has played so far has got that the game is in pre-alpha, super WIP. But the key thing is that we have the base that we can build upon with polish, bug fixes and more content.

In general, development is still early but we're at the point where it's all coming together, so we can get more 'smaller' dev updates out to you guys and get everyone more involved than ever before. Thanks for you patience these last few months, you guys have been awesome.

Anyway, need to get some sleep. If anyone is heading down to EGX Tomorrow/Saturday, make sure to come early, queues can get long!

- Howard

13 hours ago, Oldboy said:

@Farq-S What did the M1 animation look like if you reloaded midway through a en-bloc clip?

there was no partial reload. the clip had to be empty before the reload animation kicked in. i really liked that because the gun takes more skill to use in combination with a strong pistol.

12 hours ago, pukiz said:

this was close to the words used by @KingHoward

10 hours ago, seekax said:

At that point it's probably too late for them anyways. This type of game depends on being able to hear footsteps.

My thoughts exactly, I know they are aiming for old COD/COD2 players but hey, we ain't that old and most of us still can use our ears lol

Really hope that feature is off by default server side...

Oh, GREAT feedback @Farq-S, thx alot! That did clear up some issues I had :)

Posted (edited)

On 30/3/2017 at 0:41 PM, WeAsOne said:

Seriously red dots when the enemy is firing? :( hope that is not the standard setting..

The rest is EPIC

22 hours ago, Razor said:

Should have been dots when enemy are spotted, not when they fire... Hoping for a serverside option to turn it off....

I'm 1000% with you about the "no red dot when enemy is firing" position (personally I wouldn't see them even when an enemy is spotted)

My first observation/sensations are, like for others:

- to fast, slow the game down a little bit

- jump are just too much possible (I mean that you can perform many jumps in a too short -my opinion 😁- delay) and too hight

- hip shot are too much accurate

The map would give us fun, I hope that the others official ones would be similar or better. Nice job.

I'm not used to have a minimap on the top left edge... we can choose the position of the HUD elements?

😁

Please, remember that I'm just putting down some impressions bindet on a video... need to test personally to give a better feedback.

Edit: I was forgetting to thanks @Farq-S for the feedback (especially about the red dots). I can understand (and appreciate) the idea behind this choose but I don't know if I would like to see them (red dots) in game... all would just and simply hunt them.

Edited by [NGBC]CH_SwissWolf