[DEV] KingHoward

Battalion 1944 playtest at EGX Rezzed. Official Gameplay Reveal coming soon!

52 posts in this topic

Hey guys!

It’s been a long time since we ran the Kickstarter we’ve shown gameplay, and for very good reason. We’ve been completely and utterly gutting and rebuilding the unreal engine to mimic the gameplay feel of old school shooters and maximising performance to ensure our first ‘pre alpha reveal’ is representative of what our sights are for Battalion 1944.  

With that being said…

Today we can announce that next week we’ll be showing gameplay for the first time since the Kickstarter!

f20369ed7eaae73d4a8c0458653f50ad_origina

This will allow all our backers to see the game before Closed Alpha in May. This should help clear up some misconceptions about what the game is and how we’re going about nailing that classic game feel.

We’ve recently been testing the ‘base game’ with some super closed playtests with pro level Call of Duty 2 players and gaming press, making sure the BASE GAME feels good to play. That’s what our aim is with sharing this footage next week, to show you guys how the game plays. We feel we’ve got to that point where we’ve completely modified Unreal Engine to feel like a classic FPS with 1 to 1 movement and aiming mechanics.

A few key points to consider before next week are:

• Third person animations in this build are in a very early state. We have much more fluid anims already working in engine which are currently mid-implementation, coming in before the closed alpha goes public.
  • User Interface is still a work in progress, there’s a lot of placeholder assets in there. However you can see how we are aiming for a simple UI with minimal clutter.
  • We still have a way to go! Which means we’re still looking for your valuable feedback next week. 

21c8ab107205ce1f3f36e53578c2a2cb_origina

Our second MASSIVE announcement is that Battalion 1944 will be available for an early playtest at EGX: Rezzed, 30th March- 1st April at the Tobacco Dock London, UK!

More awesome news is that we’re bringing the Battalion 1944 Pre-Alpha build to the Tobacco Dock in London for EGX Rezzed 30th March -1st April, so that gamers will be able to test Battalion 1944 offline before we jump online for the closed Alpha in May 2017.

A few of the key Bulkhead team members will be at the event to play against and chat to, including Joe, Tuna and myself (Howard!) aswell as some of the Square Enix Collective team! Feel free to come and say hi and talk about Battalion, we don’t bite!

934109091795b870d9929daf9570dcaf_origina

That's it for news until next week. I Hope you’re hyped for next few months, I know we are!

Thanks,

- KingHoward and the Bulkhead Team

Posted (edited)

boom.jpg.bc2ba3c6e9a920c937540bd2b09be800.jpg

Remember guys, you need to pull the pin before you throw them. Tsk Tsk. lol

Edited by Oldboy

10 minutes ago, Oldboy said:

Remember guys, you need to pull the pin before you throw them. Tsk Tsk. lol

Lol xD maybe he is tossing it to one of his mates ;)

On 23/3/2017 at 0:42 AM, WeAsOne said:

Lol xD maybe he is tossing it to one of his mates ;)

Good one ;)

Those screenshots look fairly polished! Can't wait to the early access, I hope it feels robust, not like this paintball warfare Day of War is!

Good Luck Bulkhead & Co! 

sorry guys, i'm spamming the forums! has to be done.

Posted (edited)

Gameplay looks ok for now. I just think it might be a little too fast.I would have liked something between this and the first (announcement) trailers.

Edited by sNrklhaai

Looks great so far. It definitely has nailed the movement and gun feel of Cod 2/ Cod 4 promod. I'd like to see a bit more vertical recoil but other than that, it looks like Bulkhead have the foundation down. The Kar in particular looks great and nearly identical to Cod2. I gotta admit I was a bit skeptical if they could get the "feel" of the classic Cods with the Unreal 4 engine, but this has made me a believer. I can't wait to try the Alpha in May.

I find that it goes too fast (run), speed to change weapon and shot I like it.

I would like to have the opportunity to lean right / left.

The textures in the video of the building and others are too smooth, lack of details.

Obviously this is only a game play ALPHA I am aware of it but if this can help develop to make us an even better game it is only beneficial.

I can't wait to try the Alpha in May. too

After seeing the video i have to say i am even more excited then i was before because by the look and sound of it the game is heading to the direction that will make me want to marry it. Once the alpha gets released i think i should sit down with my gf and apologize for disappearing from all social life because of this game :D But it will totally be worth it ^^ 

How did they find the National Geographic guy to make a gameplay vid!>?

Posted (edited)

1 hour ago, Switz said:

How did they find the National Geographic guy to make a gameplay vid!>?

This just made my day ^ xD

That being said I'll never be able to watch another documentary with his narrating ever again after listening to him call himself sexy haha!

Edited by xXclusiivE

I love the movement. Maybe slightly a little too fast, but it's smooth
One thing I'm concerned, though, is the recoil. If I had to say 1 criticism with 1 sentence, it would be "Add more recoil. On every single weapon."

But overall, I love what I'm seeing. It looks like a mix of CoD2 and CoD4

Posted (edited)

Mechanics, wow! Ready for tomorrow's footage.

Edited by Skylab

Looks Great!

Bringing back the Original cod days!

Very excited

8 hours ago, Whitt said:

Looks Great!

Bringing back the Original cod days!

Very excited

They will come ;)

Okay, honest truth after viewing the Early Alpha footage just now:

- Seems to move a bit too fast, more in style with CoD5, less in CoD2 fashion. Maybe turn it down a notch, find that middle ground between CoD2 and CoD5 when it comes to speed.

- That jump is WAAAAAAY too great. I mean, jumping from a rooftop at least 3 meters away to a nearby wall is just too much. I'd rather use vaulting system to get to those spots where I want to go or rather put some different ways to climb up to certain positions.

- Weapon handling seems okay, for the most part. There's not too much recoil, as I've noticed, maybe just give a slight buff in recoil and weapon sway (in ADS). Also, that pistol firing speed needs a definitive rehash. I mean, spraying with a Colt or Luger like it's a machine gun is not very real in that way.

- Grenade indicator way too big :D Just a smaller icon would be great :) Even though I'd prefer it with no indicator. Situational awareness, you know :D

- Zoom on the MP40 is too when ADS. Thompson looks more realistic when ADS-ing, MP40 just seems like the butt of the rifle when ADS-ing is behind the shoulder currently.

- Blood plumes seem rather small. No gore or blood pools when players die, probably because this is just an Early Alpha version and you didn't want to exert the test rig with those little pesky details :D Blood and gore should exist, though. It's not fun without those.

- Haven't noticed if the M1 Garand has a mid-clip reload ability. It SHOULD have, though. Please note that :)

- No voiceovers, as I've noticed thus far.

- Two-handed pistol firing was not used during WW2. They were taught to use it, although most soldiers fired pistols with only one hand. Note that too. Even the first CoD did that properly. CoD2 screwed that one up :D

- I know there's no destruction currently, but when I made small maps for CoD:UO during recent years for me and my friends, I made sure there were no chokepoints by adding couple of destructible walls, roofs and even hidden passages to certain spots, just so someone can't sit in one pos and pump the score up. Also, destruction makes you play that map in many different ways every time. You don't have to make every single thing explode or make some massive explosion or map change (like Levolution in BF4), but some minor details that makes the map more interesting. You could add, e.g., an artillery strike at a certain moment that takes out a building on the map, creating something new (and it would have a warning for the players who are near that location that an artillery strike is incoming. Also, you could make it just like old AWE mod: not to hurt players).

I won't comment on the graphics just yet, it's a VERY EARLY ALPHA :)

4 minutes ago, Znidy said:

- Haven't noticed if the M1 Garand has a mid-clip reload ability. It SHOULD have, though. Please note that :)

From what I've read/seen there is no mid-clip reload for the M1, you have to empty the clip to reload, I think this is a design feature they decided to add to balance the weapon 

9 minutes ago, Znidy said:

- Weapon handling seems okay, for the most part. There's not too much recoil, as I've noticed, maybe just give a slight buff in recoil and weapon sway (in ADS). Also, that pistol firing speed needs a definitive rehash. I mean, spraying with a Colt or Luger like it's a machine gun is not very real in that way.

You mean even LESS recoil? God no. We need higher recoil.

35 minutes ago, vozER said:

You mean even LESS recoil? God no. We need higher recoil.

think you've misunderstood, @vozER. when @Znidy said buff recoil i think he means make recoil stronger.

WTF? Really? You teased us this long time and this is the gameplay? Wow! This is how to disappoint people who trusted and spent money into this project.

This is so oldschool, you could have grabbed me by  this 15 years ago but not today. Gameplay looks like no ballistics, much too fast, totally unrealistic. I didn't expect Red Orchestra from you, neither did I expect a 1:1 copy from original CoD. What about the graphics? It is ALPHA - OK - but....ehm, what I can see has nothing to do with what the KS side showed us and what you teased us in the last month. I hope this is not going to be the next epic fail of Kickstarter.

2 minutes ago, 7k35531 said:

WTF? Really? You teased us this long time and this is the gameplay? Wow! This is how to disappoint people who trusted and spent money into this project.

This is so oldschool, you could have grabbed me by  this 15 years ago but not today. Gameplay looks like no ballistics, much too fast, totally unrealistic. I didn't expect Red Orchestra from you, neither did I expect a 1:1 copy from original CoD. What about the graphics? It is ALPHA - OK - but....ehm, what I can see has nothing to do with what the KS side showed us and what you teased us in the last month. I hope this is not going to be the next epic fail of Kickstarter.

Alpa-2.GIF

Just now, Farq-S said:

Alpa-2.GIF

You don't like people to be unhappy or what?

20 minutes ago, 7k35531 said:

This is so oldschool, you could have grabbed me by  this 15 years ago but not today. Gameplay looks like no ballistics, much too fast, totally unrealistic. I didn't expect Red Orchestra from you, neither did I expect a 1:1 copy from original CoD.

Lol.. so you didn't know they were making an "Oldschool-shooter"?

It's important to read in this life!