Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
JameyGunSlinger

New Idea - Weapon Crates

29 posts in this topic

Ok, Here is my idea.  Before my idea, I have to rant, I'm super disappointed in the weapons crate in battlefield 1.  So this is where my idea comes from.  I hate the idea that I just get a skin for an existing weapon.   I would much rather work for "making a weapon".  So to clear up my idea.  How about earning (or possibly finding <-- within a map) weapon crates that would give you pieces of a weapon that you could then assemble/make at some later time in the game.  So lets say you have your base weapon(s), this idea would give you something to work for in earning a newer weapon.  Each crate you earn/find would give you a piece of that weapon.  You would need to get say 5 or so pieces to make you new weapon.  You might find a barrel, then a stock, then a clip, rounds for that gun, a scope, or whatever you need to complete that specific gun.  Other ideas would be to find just a scope for an existing gun that you start with in the initial game.  You could have one or two weapons per class (like sniper, infantry, support) or how ever the game is setup.   Think how fun it would be to find that final crate that makes a new BAR or MG34 or cool sniper rifle that hardly anyone else has in the game!

Another idea along this line is, how about the base weapons that you start the game with somehow deteriorate and wear down with use, the more you fire them the more they get damaged just like in real life!  So eventually you could have weapons that are useless and you lose entirely.  This would tie in perfect with the above idea for weapons crates.  Some crates would give you a new barrel or repair your gun 10% or 25% or something to that effect.  Also you could randomly have more damage depending on how you die, if you get shot there is little to no damage, but if you get blown up with a mortar or grenade you have much more damage or lose your gun you are holding instantly on next respawn!  This would change the game entirely because instead of always just shooting people you could try to kill with grenades in order to make them lose their equipment.

I just think that after playing battlefield 1 and getting hundreds of useless crates that something had to be done.  It is such a waste.  This idea could be expanded to clothing, ie: sniper outfits that make you more invisible with better camo, or larger clips for weapons, ideas are endless.  Lets get rid of these dumb "skins" for weapons and make the game more interesting.  Sure its fun to run around and kill everyone, but just think if you were rewarded better for it.  You could also expand the idea of earning crates by completing tasks or kill streaks, things like that.

Opinions??

Jamey - PS  I have a real ww2 gun collection, so I practice shooting the real thing, haha!  I have lots of ideas, lets make this game amazing!!

I like your idea, but by Battalion you can choose all the weapons always.

If you have played 10.000 hours you have the same weapons like someone who is playing for the first time

Only melee weapons can be unlocked.. but its only skins so the stats of the melee attack will never change ;)

Another idea relating to this is that you could add booby traps to crates found within the maps after taking whatever item is inside, a little twist.  Other crates given at the end of the round would obviously not pertain.  Unless you could be rewarded at the end of a round with a "fake" crate that is already booby trapped for the next round and you could place it on the map for an unsuspecting enemy to find somewhere, haha.

14 hours ago, JameyGunSlinger said:

Think how fun it would be to find that final crate that makes a new BAR or MG34 or cool sniper rifle that hardly anyone else has in the game!

Another idea along this line is, how about the base weapons that you start the game with somehow deteriorate and wear down with use

you could try to kill with grenades in order to make them lose their equipment.

sniper outfits that make you more invisible with better camo, or larger clips for weapons, ideas are endless.

kill streaks, things like that.

Opinions??

No no no no no no

With all due respect, but this is not the game for you and in my oppinion all your ideas are horrible.

14 hours ago, JameyGunSlinger said:

Another idea relating to this is that you could add booby traps to crates found within the maps after taking whatever item is inside, a little twist.

What is this maddness???

Posted (edited)

I think so too, you're looking for the wrong game =X

Edited by kinda

WeAsOne, I think the game would be played much more and would have a better following if "new" weapons could be unlocked or earned, instead of everyone having the same thing from day one.  I get the idea that they want an even playing field but getting "skins" for weapons imo is lame.  I get no joy in getting skins in BF1, and very very little joy about getting melee weapon "puzzle pieces".

Posted (edited)

1 minute ago, JameyGunSlinger said:

WeAsOne, I think the game would be played much more and would have a better following if "new" weapons could be unlocked or earned, instead of everyone having the same thing from day one.  I get the idea that they want an even playing field but getting "skins" for weapons imo is lame.  I get no joy in getting skins in BF1, and very very little joy about getting melee weapon "puzzle pieces".

Yes, like battlefield 1, like CoD's, like...

This is a oldschool FPS ! Everyone on the same level !

Edited by kinda

wow, I'm getting blasted on this idea, geeez.  I love tradional shooting games trust me, I can't wait for this game.  Just hate the damn "skins" that seem to be on every game out there for weapons.  I get that the booby trap crate idea might be too far, but the original idea for building weapons would be cool.  Something to play for instead of just KDR and wins.

Agreed it could be better to have something else than the skins.

But I don't agree with something that's benefits those who can play a lot.

This doesn't make any sense, it doesn't add anything to the game, it's just some gimmick that won't benefit your experience at all, people will just uploads videos on youtube with all the locations to find stuff.

Not the best idea for Battalion, this sounds more like an RPG where you spend ages hunting crates and shit.. No thanks

Posted (edited)

I for one would rather having to unlock my weapon but thet wouldn't fit in this type of game. Your idea however I feel I would get too frustrated with. I mean attempting to gain XP to unlock a weapon is one thing but needing to scavenge the map for weapon parts. Sorry but I just don't like this.

I for one am not putting you on blast, I am just simply saying I dislike the idea nd giving you valid reason as to why I dislike it.

Edited by xXclusiivE

Well, this idea isn't exactly new. It's called 'crafting' and there is an entire genre revolving around exactly what you describe. One of those games you may have heard of already is Minecraft and there are plenty of other games.

However, the actual aspects of a classic FPS game - in short -  are shooting and movement. Not searching for stuff and building up characters and equipment. Wrong game for this idea, in my opinion.

Anyway, welcome to the board Jamey.

I like the ideas but for another game.. I think like everyone says here Battalion isn't the game for you

1 hour ago, JameyGunSlinger said:

wow, I'm getting blasted on this idea, geeez.  I love tradional shooting games trust me, I can't wait for this game.  Just hate the damn "skins" that seem to be on every game out there for weapons.  I get that the booby trap crate idea might be too far, but the original idea for building weapons would be cool.  Something to play for instead of just KDR and wins.

It's just, skins and microtransactions are a necessary evil to keep a game alive and players interested.

1 minute ago, RAFF said:

It's just, skins and microtransactions are a necessary evil to keep a game alive and players interested.

I don't see skins as something bad tbh. I really do like to buy a new skin and play with it. All the better devs can benefit from it. As long as it stays just skins that you can buy or get by drops at the and of the game, I am all for it.

Just now, ToonBE said:

I don't see skins as something bad tbh. I really do like to buy a new skin and play with it. All the better devs can benefit from it. As long as it stays just skins that you can buy or get by drops at the and of the game, I am all for it.

I see them the same way, but it depends on the way they implement them. 

If they'll be purchasable on the steam market, it'll be great.

The main thing for this idea would be post game, not really searching maps for crates, I just added that as an alternative way to implement the crates.  I guess I thought it would be interesting to get new weapons this way.  I get that everyone on here so far wants an even playing field and some players that have all day to play a game might get the advantage by getting new weapons.  Don't you think people would  play more if they had to try to get rewards in this way.  I know BF1 would be a hell of lot more interesting if you got your weapons or new ones this way vs just by getting to level x and unlocking it.  Just thought it would bring a new twist to the whole "skin" type element too, I really hate skins, but I'm older so maybe kids like getting cool looking skins, lol.  What are your thoughts on the weapon degrading over time?  This happens in real life. 

I actually like the idea of certain weapons like the BAR or STG44 (if ever confirmed) being pickups randomly placed around the map and that way they can be a little OP. The original Call of Duty had similar pickups

41 minutes ago, Oldboy said:

I actually like the idea of certain weapons like the BAR or STG44 (if ever confirmed) being pickups randomly placed around the map and that way they can be a little OP. The original Call of Duty had similar pickups

Or they could just balance them, and the community will form a meta in the game which will change each time there's a balance update.

Posted (edited)

16 minutes ago, Masser said:

Or they could just balance them, and the community will form a meta in the game which will change each time there's a balance update.

We'll see how it pans out. Both weapons are beastly and if not balanced correctly that magical "meta" you speak of just translates as they could make the other weapons redundant if players have the freedom to pick whatever they like.

Similar to how games like Battlefield can turn into a shitfest as everyone Jimbob thinks he's Vasily Zaytsev wants to play Recon with a scoped rifle. Sometimes limitation can lead to more rewarding and balanced experience even if it goes against the idea of "muh freedums to play how a like".

Edited by Oldboy

Just now, Oldboy said:

We'll see how it pans out. Both weapons are beastly and if not balanced correctly that magical "meta" you speak of just translates as they could make the others redundant over the others if players have the freedom to pick whatever they like.

Similar to how games like Battlefield can turn into a shitfest as everyone Jimbob thinks he's Vasily Zaytsev wants to play Recon with a scoped rifle. Sometimes limitation can lead to more rewarding and balanced experience even if it goes against the idea of "muh freedums to play how a like".

If they balance it right, no need to have them be drops. It's the entire point of patches, which since the advent of Steam have been easy :P