DonPablo

Are console versions neglected?

42 posts in this topic

36 minutes ago, ClintBeastwood said:

bf1.jpg

CS:GO has around 350.000 players everyday playing at same time, it's like more than 3 times bf1 players on every platform, the reason behind those stats is not that Pc has less players than xbox or ps4, it's just that modern AAA games are shit and have bad pc ports/low longevity so they usually have more people playing on console since most of the kids play there

CS:GO peaks at 600-700k concurrent players so it's more like 6 times. Dota2 peaks at around 900k to 1 million concurrent players a day. There's no public player information about LoL or WoW except for what the developers tell us - but they are likely larger than Dota2.

http://steamcharts.com/

Well i don't think they're at all neglecting consoles (in fact the opposite may be true). It's just that testing for most any game i would think in the very early stages, are done a computer. And look, i'll tell you, i've been at games for a VERY long time (could be more than 40 years, certainly  since 70's), and i would always recommend PC, IF, it's a higher end PC that could even play the games, and, know what you'e doing, being it may be a bit too complex for folks tastes (game crashes, viruses, cheat hacking problems etc).

Generally issues we just don't deal with on consoles.

And i'll tell you, for this older PC i just got (my brother gave it to me, being he went to Mac), it's almost amazing that all these years, i was waiting for a Brothers in Arms, Road to Hill 30 remaster (being it's unplayable now on ps2). And what a GREAT experience playing it on PC, where it looks like a TOTAL remade game. 

In addition, Steam is beginning to "get it", and that it is true, K&M for games, are going the way a bit of the horse and buggy in a way. Most players, play on consoles (PC may be the Master Race, but we're the Majority Race lol), and now with their new Beta, most EVERY game in their library can be played with a controller. It's absolutely unbelievable, that i can play Silent Hunter (a submarine sim), with a controller. So, Steam is getting with the times.

However these twitch shooter FPS run and gun games like this, are made to played on a Console, not a PC.

COD, BF, those are where this game seems to going (as compared to Arma, CSGO, or otherwise more tactical shooters or Sim games). Although, PC folks are going to play, and have fun doing it as well.

Though i have to say, if i had a good  PC, i would be playing Red Orchestra, not this, and this another big difference, in that PC is inundated with historical shooter games, while we on consoles, are not at all. That's now changing, and  so we also have  to be cognizant of the new COD seemingly, going to WW2 as well this Fall.

So. make no mistake about it, this is mainly going to sell on Consoles, and i'm sure the Developers know that. But they have to do their work, and need testers at this very early stage, and even in that i would think it's hard to determine  just where things are, being their opinions  from those with many different rigs, and therefore different experiences. I think it's going to work out  fine.

Call of Duty doubled CS:GO's revenue for a full year in less than three days in 2015.  Just to name one off the top of my head.

And yes, it's childish, but every console thread descends into a PC boasting session (despite there being little to boast about).

Posted (edited)

@Rangers101  Actually FPS games were made for the PC...... Wolf 3D anyone?  Doom 1?  Honestly, your entire post is ridiculous.  They are made for the PC because the highest level of play in an FPS is only achievable on the PC with a M&KB.
A controller player is never going to out do a KB & M player in an FPS.

Edited by AJV

3 hours ago, AJV said:

@Rangers101  Actually FPS games were made for the PC...... Wolf 3D anyone?  Doom 1?  Honestly, your entire post is ridiculous.  They are made for the PC because the highest level of play in an FPS is only achievable on the PC with a M&KB.
A controller player is never going to out do a KB & M player in an FPS.

They sell more on consoles these days. I mean there were days BF and COD were made for PC, but now they're mostly console games. And i agree about K&M (though most may not want to use them), but they're even console compatible now Sorry, but it doesn't mean you can't buy it or enjoy it. I myself wish i can update my graphics card and play some of your sim games on my PC.

The money is in consoles, the competition is on pc. If you can get a large twitch following the sky is the limit. 

Posted (edited)

On 3/15/2017 at 1:33 PM, WeAsOne said:

Well it's a huge amount of money for most of us.. I just bought a game pc for Battalion but I had to live for 2 months on bread and water xD..

A console costs maybe € 400,- and a good pc around 1200.. That is 3x as much!

And @ClintBeastwood M+KB is still superior to a controller xD

Where did you come up with that figure. 1200 is far more than you actually need to match the capabilities of the console.

You can build a decent personal computer 4 fraction that. You guys actually probably build a better PC to the same amount of money. A PC for 1,200 would probably be several orders of magnitude better than a console.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.forbes.com/sites/jasonevangelho/2015/02/07/build-a-compact-1080p-gaming-pc-for-400-benchmarks-included/amp/

You also have to understand that a personal computers capable is doing a lot more than a console is. Surfing the internet and being able to do other things the council simply cannot do. Also unlike a console a PC is not on lockdown or proprietary you're able to purchase video games for a fraction of the cost. Most games for the console cost upwards of $60 even when they're fairly old. One of the great things about the PC that you're able to find great deals from various Distributors that bring the price down significantly. I probably saved thousands upon thousands dollars just on deals for video games alone.

Only thing I really miss out on not have any consoles exclusive. But I really don't care about any of those anyway.

PC is simply a far superior platform. I think you overestimate the ability of a console.

Edited by Frederick

25 minutes ago, Frederick said:

Where did you come up with that figure. 1200 is far more than you actually need to match the capabilities of the console.

I agree, but with a low priced pc you can't play all the games..

PC games need a lot more than console games because the console games are limited to the hardware of the console and the pc games are not! ;)

In reality the gaming market would only be half of what it is or not even half if there were no consoles but sadly the consoles are holding games back due to their hardware. PC on the other hand just keeps getting stronger hardware year after year.

On 03/16/2017 at 0:31 PM, ClintBeastwood said:

That's entirely subjective.  The only benefit actually comes from the mouse, in certain games that require rapid aiming accuracy.  The keyboard offers no benefit at all.  For the majority of games it's basically shit in comparison.

It's not 'superior' for beat 'em ups, for example.

You have a lot more buttons on a keyboard so yes, it is superior. You can textchat quickly with 10-finger system, you can strafe and circlejump more easily (using WSAD compared to using a dpad or joystick) and you can have much more bindings (for example hotkeys for teamchat messages, buttons for lean left/right instead of contextual lean, in Arena FPS you can bind each weapon to a key and in RTS games you can have lots of hotkeys aswell). I like to sit on my couch and play on controller and it's fun.. but it's just fact that MKB is superior to controllers.

On 3/13/2017 at 7:34 PM, DonPablo said:

CoD or BF run on all platforms the same (minimal differences) and I expect that from Battalion. Of course, no 120+ Hz is possible, but I just hope that the console port will not be a fail...

Thats just not true im afraid, theyre wildly different depending on the specs. From AA, post processing, Frame rate cap, Hz, Resolution, refresh rate of visual output. The list goes on. 

1 hour ago, Smut28 said:

Thats just not true im afraid, theyre wildly different depending on the specs. From AA, post processing, Frame rate cap, Hz, Resolution, refresh rate of visual output. The list goes on. 

+1 also different games put more stress on different bits of hardware i.e. BF utilises the CPU more than COD

Posted (edited)

Please don't bring PC vs Xbox vs PS4 debate to this forum, its just stupid. 

Are console versions being neglected? Compared to PC? Yes.... because we're working on the PC version right now and I absolutely refuse to rush to deliver a sub par video game we said on the kickstarter we would deliver a game that felt 'hand crafted'.. and that will take time, but this doesn't mean its ignored AT ALL. I have a lot of meetings with platform holders trying to get the best deal for console gamers on Battalion- straight up transparency; Xbox are more keen to work with us than PS4 as Sony have a focus on VR at the moment.

But we aren't going to "port" Battalion to consoles. Consoles are totally different to PC, from a player psychology point of view, technical, and design. Instead we're going to take what we have and redesign it for console (don't worry, it's no more or less work than porting). But this may mean a different focus on gamemodes, maybe even unique game modes for console. But I still today don't understand why developers and publishers insist in porting and copying games to different platforms despite having totally different audiences. 

The best example I can give is as follows:

The Girl with The Dragon Tattoo is an excellent Swedish film; except you have to turn on subtitles to watch it in English. It's also lower budget than what English speaking films are used to and some of the jokes/quirky parts of 'Lisbeth Salander' don't come across. 
The US/UK adaptation with Daniel Craig and Rooney Mara follows almost exactly the same story line, but with a much more cinematic approach, English speaking, with English/American humour and ultimately a much stronger focus on the films shot by shot visual quality. 

That's the best way can think to describe it, I hope that helps. I just don't understand why companies feel the need to port the exact same content over (in FPS games mostly) when they're massively different.. Do you realise how few PC players play Team Deathmatch? But its by far the biggest gamemode on console!? 

Just interesting^

Joe

Edited by [DEV] BRAMMERTRON

Posted (edited)

Hey Bram,

I would never bring up the long lost console vs PC war to this forum. People are free to play and have fun! I have both! Both amazing for different reasons.

PS. Love your idea of having console specific gamemodes. Clever way of giving love to both platforms and using them both to their advantages. Havent seen that done before

Edited by Smut28

On 01/04/2017 at 6:18 PM, xXclusiivE said:

In reality the gaming market would only be half of what it is or not even half if there were no consoles but sadly the consoles are holding games back due to their hardware. PC on the other hand just keeps getting stronger hardware year after year.

Its going to get even stronger when volta arrives and amd equivalent :lol:

On 05/04/2017 at 9:11 PM, [DEV] BRAMMERTRON said:

Please don't bring PC vs Xbox vs PS4 debate to this forum, its just stupid. 

Are console versions being neglected? Compared to PC? Yes.... because we're working on the PC version right now and I absolutely refuse to rush to deliver a sub par video game we said on the kickstarter we would deliver a game that felt 'hand crafted'.. and that will take time, but this doesn't mean its ignored AT ALL. I have a lot of meetings with platform holders trying to get the best deal for console gamers on Battalion- straight up transparency; Xbox are more keen to work with us than PS4 as Sony have a focus on VR at the moment.

But we aren't going to "port" Battalion to consoles. Consoles are totally different to PC, from a player psychology point of view, technical, and design. Instead we're going to take what we have and redesign it for console (don't worry, it's no more or less work than porting). But this may mean a different focus on gamemodes, maybe even unique game modes for console. But I still today don't understand why developers and publishers insist in porting and copying games to different platforms despite having totally different audiences. 

The best example I can give is as follows:

The Girl with The Dragon Tattoo is an excellent Swedish film; except you have to turn on subtitles to watch it in English. It's also lower budget than what English speaking films are used to and some of the jokes/quirky parts of 'Lisbeth Salander' don't come across. 
The US/UK adaptation with Daniel Craig and Rooney Mara follows almost exactly the same story line, but with a much more cinematic approach, English speaking, with English/American humour and ultimately a much stronger focus on the films shot by shot visual quality. 

That's the best way can think to describe it, I hope that helps. I just don't understand why companies feel the need to port the exact same content over (in FPS games mostly) when they're massively different.. Do you realise how few PC players play Team Deathmatch? But its by far the biggest gamemode on console!? 

Just interesting^

Joe

Where were you guys all these years!! :p

Please take your time too many fails in the last 3 years :/

Will wait for bat44 ;)

On 16/03/2017 at 10:53 AM, [DEV] BRAMMERTRON said:

We're aiming for 1080/60fps ... However... BF1 isn't 1080p/60fps... it's between 30 and 45. 

Sounds good! As others have said, go for the max framerate if bottlenecs turn up :)

BF4 console have max 60 fs on their 45hz servers with 44 players - and on the PS4 Pro its quite solid. The joker here really is the servers, and how much stress you put on them - not least if they have to deal with wildly different player ping times. Key word: local servers, with max ping under (say) 100.