Soldat Ryan

Fear is knocking to the door

2 minutes ago, Razor said:

For a French you do a splendid job no worries, my norwegian-english isn't any better :P

believe me when i say some of the English speakers english in this forum is worse than the non-english speakers.

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, Farq-S said:

believe me when i say some of the English speakers english in this forum is worse than the non-english speakers.

Good point, I have seen that...

• Upvote 1

51 minutes ago, Razor said:

Think you got Soldat's statment wrong, even I got the frase and English is not even remotly close to my native language:

" On these promises, we backed one of these packs (x18 clan pack for us) as 10 000 others backers did.
Today i m getting sad because i have the feeling (shared by others) that Devs are stepping back little to little on what they promised in the 1st contract. "

Soldat talks about a "broken contract" and refer to the promises we all got when we backed the project, and the promise from the devs that they would stick to their words. Also mentioned "Today i m getting sad because i have the feeling (shared by others)" so he has a worrie, and others may have it to. Thats totally right cause my team (10 pack backers) also share some of these worries...

I understand what he says, but to me it seems like he implies that everyone is so broken hearted about the decisions being made, and uses language that can go both ways to impress people or make his thoughts heard.

some example: "I really don't like x" as opposed to "Me and my friends really don't like x, and i`m sure the other 10.000 people that backed may be dissapointed too."

English isn't my first language either, so I`m sorry if I can't make you understand why the wording seems weird at least.

Usually when you're mad and don't have a lot of good points, you try to make the wording as strong and ambiguous as possible.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 3

Well it has been explained and clearified so it's not a issue anymore, case closed for my part :)

• Upvote 2

15 hours ago, hedarn said:

Yeah, lets make game for only for casual market, because pro players could cheat playing online.

not sure why you have quoted me there...nothing to do with what I said.

43 minutes ago, maddog-b said:

not sure why you have quoted me there...nothing to do with what I said.

Well that is kind of what you said lol

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, FrosteR said:

Well that is kind of what you said lol

no, I simply said the "pro" side of  things should be much less priority which is true, are there any games in which the "pro" side is held over any other aspect?

9 minutes ago, maddog-b said:

no, I simply said the "pro" side of  things should be much less priority which is true, are there any games in which the "pro" side is held over any other aspect?

Yes. Dota, lol, csgo, starcraft, overwatch

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 2

1 minute ago, ToonBE said:

Yes. Dota, lol, csgo, starcraft, overwatch

lol dream on, I know at least 4 housewives that play DOTA.

20 minutes ago, maddog-b said:

Just because they play it doesn't mean it's not a priority. Who cares if they want to support competitive development why would that make the game any less fun for the clans out there to play I seriously don't understand, it seems to me that even the requests about objective based game modes similar to ET have been answered so where exactly is the issue

• Downvote 1

1 minute ago, pukiz said:

Just because they play it doesn't mean it's not a priority. Who cares if they want to support competitive development why would that make the game any less fun for the clans out there to play I seriously don't understand, it seems to me that even the requests about objective based game modes similar to ET have been answered so where exactly is the issue

TBH I don't care, no doubt if the devs didn't do it some modders would, but the flip side is the pro competitive guys slam down on anything that is seen as popularist or casual but without those features there is no game.

toonbes post proves that, he sees his reference to a list of top paying esports prizes as evidence that the competitive angle should be a priority in development but the reality is, because that angle was ignored by the designers, the games were of eminently high quality without any consideration to esports and thus sold so much it made those prize funds available, without those housewives paying to play dota there would be no esports prizes.

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, maddog-b said:

TBH I don't care, no doubt if the devs didn't do it some modders would, but the flip side is the pro competitive guys slam down on anything that is seen as popularist or casual but without those features there is no game.

toonbes post proves that, he sees his reference to a list of top paying esports prizes as evidence that the competitive angle should be a priority in development but the reality is, because that angle was ignored by the designers, the games were of eminently high quality without any consideration to esports and thus sold so much it made those prize funds available, without those housewives paying to play dota there would be no esports prizes.

I don't think you have to worry about Battalion. It will be a game for both casual as well as competitive players. Calm down ;)

• Upvote 1

17 minutes ago, maddog-b said:

You're telling me CS:GO didn't aim to be an esport when it came out? The great franchise from before didn't mean anything, and they didn't care to be at all competitive?

It was FIRSTLY competitive, then anything else. This goes for most games that are esports.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

49 minutes ago, maddog-b said:

Its not because a game is developped for competitive play/pro scene, you cannot enjou it casually.

Thx for proving my point.

If i may weigh in my opinion of what Soldat is saying....

First off i agree with what Soldat is saying and i understand his concerns. I've been active here on the forums for quite some time, maybe not as long as Soldat but long enough to get to know a few people and their views (and vice versa), and I know that English isn't Soldat's first language but i understood that he was only concerned about what the list of goals were on the kickstarter vs what it developed to be through the forums but i AM NOT fearful of the direction of the game and i 100% still on board with the Devs and their plans.

When micro transactions were first said there was a panic attack by most people, including me, because most of us understood it as if Battalion would become P2W. It wont and it is only cosmetic, there will not be a system like World of Tanks with "gold ammo" to do more damage.

As per the recording of the game during Closed Alpha i support the Dev's decision to say "no" to it and to have an NDA coming with it. I assumed it from the start and when i read it on the kickstarter that you could i took it as "of course you can record it but you cannot publish it onto the internet. Show your friends when they come over your house or through your phone but make sure the video cannot leak out."

Anyway, the people that were freaking out over Soldat's concerns should step it down a notch. Its all good :) If anything, this goes to you Soldat, in a long post like this write it in French and I am sure either google translate or someone else who speaks good english/french can translate it.

As for the skins I am sure they will remain in the WW2 era and will not see Santa Claus and Pink modern camo in it. The war torn system was just a "bonus" and only adds to the game, which i like makes it interesting.

So Soldat, you know that most of things you mentioned are just aesthetic and will not change gameplay what so ever, right? As for the others.....I hope you understand that Soldat is only mentioning the changes from the initial goals on the kickstarter vs now.

Tiptup did a great job in explaining it to Soldat of whats going on but I just wanted to say my 2 cents as well.

For the Devs.

Maybe, if you can, make update of changes from what was on the kickstarter to what it is now. What you guys are focusing on and what is going to be included in the game, etc etc like patch notes. I know you guys gave out updates but at this point i think things would be clarified with an "Updated Goal List" either in the forum as a pin or on the kickstarter updates. It will take some time i know but it will be worth it to quell any sort of thoughts or miscommunication between the backers.

• Upvote 6

4 hours ago, ToonBE said:

Its not because a game is developped for competitive play/pro scene, you cannot enjou it casually.

Thx for proving my point.

lol you really are a dreamer aren't you

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

4 hours ago, RAFF said:

You're telling me CS:GO didn't aim to be an esport when it came out? The great franchise from before didn't mean anything, and they didn't care to be at all competitive?

It was FIRSTLY competitive, then anything else. This goes for most games that are esports.

again proves my point, CS the original was a mod of a predominantly single player game, yes it was developed from then on but the original concept and most of the funding to produce the engine and therefore subsequent updates were not primarily pushed by esports but by commercial ie casual or popularist ventures, without halflife it's likely there would be no CS..

• Downvote 2

5 hours ago, maddog-b said:

again proves my point, CS the original was a mod of a predominantly single player game, yes it was developed from then on but the original concept and most of the funding to produce the engine and therefore subsequent updates were not primarily pushed by esports but by commercial ie casual or popularist ventures, without halflife it's likely there would be no CS..

This is not correct.

13 hours ago, DukeNukem said:

For the Devs.

Maybe, if you can, make update of changes from what was on the kickstarter to what it is now. What you guys are focusing on and what is going to be included in the game, etc etc like patch notes. I know you guys gave out updates but at this point i think things would be clarified with an "Updated Goal List" either in the forum as a pin or on the kickstarter updates. It will take some time i know but it will be worth it to quell any sort of thoughts or miscommunication between the backers.

i made the same suggestion in an earlier post which Tuna has taken on-board.

PS. google translate is useless when translating sentences.

Edited by Farq-S
  • Upvote 2

Hooo god, i love you @DukeNukem. :x I though all the day yesterday to find a way to explain it better but you did it for me. txs. :)
I would like to add that all points i mention have been talked in their own threads and were only here for the demonstration. -_-

13 hours ago, DukeNukem said:

So Soldat, you know that most of things you mentioned are just aesthetic and will not change gameplay what so ever, right?

Indeed most of things i mentionned are mostly aesthetic, (and the most crazy is i think i don't care a bit because i play for fun, not to create an avatar) but the project was a package including gameplay AND cosmetics. It is a question of principle (maybe a stupid behavior but i m old-school man). I have always thinking that words had a meaning (even if i badly translate them ! :$ ) . When you have a "contract" with someone else you are expecting to get what was describe in the contract.
About gameplay my concern is because at the begining the game should be a game made by gamers for gamers inside a competitive gameplay. Now i feel (and again i say it is a feeling) it is a game made by pro-gamers for pro-gamers for competitive pro-gaming. IMHO It is not the same objective.

The joe's answer is upseting me a bit too, because he is suggesting that if i don't like the game, i will be able to mod it. Ok. I knew it. But (once more) before to mod the game i would like you deliver the game as it was in the description and play the game as it should.

To resume the situation, I take a "stupid" example (i guess it will be understood correctly 9_9 ) : You are going the the fast-food, you order a "BigMac and a coke" because you liked what you are seeing in the menu, and few minutes laters the waiter gives you a "Cheeseburger and a water". It is almost the same but not fully. You will be upset. Then the waiter is saying if you are not agree you can add ketchup or mayo to eat it as you like.
A bit annoying no ?

14 hours ago, DukeNukem said:

I hope you understand that Soldat is only mentioning the changes from the initial goals on the kickstarter vs now.

Amen !

• Upvote 1

I hope you understand that Soldat is only mentioning the changes from the initial goals on the kickstarter vs now.

Ewww, I was thinking the same when I wrote my post (second message of the topic), the message is pretty clear to me.

People just downvote for nothing...

Maybe I understood what SoldatRyan wanted to say because I'm french too... xD

• Upvote 1

You didn't had to xD