maddog-b

Where is the line to be drawn?

many of the topics that come up on these forums are about peoples preferences for the game features, some want extreme customisation in game play making it essentially possible to create a huge variation in gameplay, is it possible anyone thinks that is contrary to making the game hugely popular.

An example to this would be "chess"  allows no customisation but is still played today god knows how long after it was invented..

if we look at codwaw as an example the devs tries to limit this to basically two different types of online play, hardcore and non hardcore with minor variations such as use of perks etc, for some reason this game has not been hugely mod'd the way vCOD and COD2 were but until the PB support went out the window this was probably the premier online ww2 game.

so the big question remains is, if the customisation is allowed to the extent some want, will it fracture the player base as each gravitates to a server that allows his own preferences meaning much lower player counts on individual servers.

• Downvote 2

Customization is fine for public servers, it gives everyone what they want.

For competitive play there has to be 1 clear ruleset which will be used in all competitive matches.

• Upvote 4

3 minutes ago, FrosteR said:

Customization is fine for public servers, it gives everyone what they want.

For competitive play there has to be 1 clear ruleset which will be used in all competitive matches.

Totally aggreed... I don't want people to be able to switch on or switch off visuable customization etc

• Upvote 1

If you tick all the boxes for the competitive types... they can keep it as vanilla as they like. They would never play on custom servers anyhow... Why would you want to restrict players that would never play competitively?  it wont diminish the game only enhance the player base. even if it creates distinct player groups.

Edited by Dogster
  • Upvote 2

It would be quite annoying to have hundreds of server online and every server has its settings tweaked in a different way but I can't see that being the case.

Competitive will be one straight set rule set so lets no worry about that. Keep the major customization out of the Comp playlist and keep it kinda minimum besides weapon skins.

The casual playlist is where we are going to see a load of different servers tweaked in different ways which is not appealing but also great that the choice is there for the owners. Let customization run wild in the casual scene though. Once the game play trailer is revealed and we are at a point where there is no more NDA and we can upload videos of this game. If it looks really good and not too over the top with comp stuff 50%+ of the player base will be casual players.

2 hours ago, Dogster said:

If you tick all the boxes for the competitive types... they can keep it as vanilla as they like. They would never play on custom servers anyhow... Why would you want to restrict players that would never play competitively?  it wont diminish the game only enhance the player base. even if it creates distinct player groups.

not wanting to restrict anything but several discussions are on about soooo much options for customisation it occurred to me where is the point where it is almost like playing another game.

In the discussion on recoil it was suggested having separate customisations for mouse sensitivity depending on whether you are ads or not, another point was about minimising graphics to the extreme, I wondered is it going to be the winners are the ones not who play better but who "tweaked" the most

Edited by maddog-b

4 minutes ago, maddog-b said:

not wanting to restrict anything but several discussions are on about soooo much options for customisation it occurred to me where is the point where it is almost like playing another game.

In the discussion on recoil it was suggested having separate customisations for mouse sensitivity depending on whether you are ads or not, another point was about minimising graphics to the extreme, I wondered is it going to be the winners are the ones not who play better but who "tweaked" the most

What is the problem though? Everything you listed would be in personal settings so configure your settings which makes you perform better. Some people will dumb down their graphics to get higher FPS which helps them while others max everything out because they play better with that configure of settings. I'm kind of confused with what you are asking.

6 hours ago, maddog-b said:

It's not as if playing on lower graphics gives you wall hacks mate.  Every decent CoD to date (cod1,2,4,waw) had methods of tweaking your settings through your config files.  There were even publicly available FPS configs like the yitch series that people with lower-end computers used in order to be able to play the game at a stable FPS.

All this might mean is that you wont be able to sit in your favourite bush in the corner of a map like a pleb and not be seen.

36 minutes ago, scaR said:

It's not as if playing on lower graphics gives you wall hacks mate.  Every decent CoD to date (cod1,2,4,waw) had methods of tweaking your settings through your config files.  There were even publicly available FPS configs like the yitch series that people with lower-end computers used in order to be able to play the game at a stable FPS.

All this might mean is that you wont be able to sit in your favourite bush in the corner of a map like a pleb and not be seen.

whilst the theory is correct we all know it's not that simple, many exploits have surfaced even in cod such as the ability to achieve much higher jumps with certain frame rates, allowing people to access areas and quickscope over obstacles the game engine and map designers did not account for.

I was simply trying to get  a picture of why in this day and age people would want to their game to look like Wolfenstein especially if it is likely to make little difference and whilst we all wish the game to be free of defects allowing exploits increasing any alters the statistical likelihood of such.

• Downvote 6

1 minute ago, maddog-b said:

whilst the theory is correct we all know it's not that simple, many exploits have surfaced even in cod such as the ability to achieve much higher jumps with certain frame rates, allowing people to access areas and quickscope over obstacles the game engine and map designers did not account for.

The majority of those exploits found were also blocked/banned in either later updates by the developer themselves or by 3rd-party mods or even through forced rulesets implemented by competitions.  We're not dealing with the quake engine anymore, and I know you're just using it as an example, but you can't rule out giving users the ability to run the game how they want to just because a much older and different engine had problems.  I'm not saying we wont hit any potholes with the unreal engine the game's being developed with now, but we're already quite aware that the developers are in it for the long haul so I'm not worried in the slightest about any possible problems not being addressed.

I was simply trying to get  a picture of why in this day and age people would want to their game to look like Wolfenstein especially if it is likely to make little difference

I think you're jumping to extremes here pal.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, scaR said:

I think you're jumping to extremes here pal.

Exactly, at least your here to explain it to him, he wont respond to anything I say LOL

Edited by xXclusiivE

5 hours ago, scaR said:

I had a config that was almost as good as wall hacks I could see through a lot of spots that 99% of ppl couldn't because of textual tweaks in u config which gave me a solid unfair advantage, in cod1/2 and also I could see through basicly thick smoke

• Downvote 4

35 minutes ago, nowai said:

I had a config that was almost as good as wall hacks I could see through a lot of spots that 99% of ppl couldn't because of textual tweaks in u config which gave me a solid unfair advantage

Would love to see a legit screenshot in CoD2 with ambient occlusion off where you see through "basicly thick smoke".  With PB on and a server running PAM.

CoD4 promod addressed any issues with people seeing through smoke by forcing you to have a certain command set at a particular value.  The devs are well familiar with the CoD2/4(&promod/pam) so if you believe that some of these problems encountered in these previous games wont be considered in battalion I don't think you're giving the devs the credit that they deserve.

Edited by scaR
  • Upvote 4

4 hours ago, scaR said:

Would love to see a legit screenshot in CoD2 with ambient occlusion off where you see through "basicly thick smoke".  With PB on and a server running PAM.

CoD4 promod addressed any issues with people seeing through smoke by forcing you to have a certain command set at a particular value.  The devs are well familiar with the CoD2/4(&promod/pam) so if you believe that some of these problems encountered in these previous games wont be considered in battalion I don't think you're giving the devs the credit that they deserve.

PB still works for COD2?

but you post raises a good point as to mods, from what I have been reading there will be many of the mod features adopted from past mods as the devs think fit and I remember the early days of cod where myself personally found it too dull to return to playing vCOD after spending some time on a server running the totalwar mod, hence vCOD "lost" a player (not much of a loss I know :D ) suppose we will just have to wait and see.

I appreciate what others are saying about in competitive mode things will be vanilla but tbh that is a very small side of a game in terms of number of players and whilst some take the online competitive side very seriously, due to the huge amount of things that can be done to "tip the balance" I cannot really give it any credibility.

13 minutes ago, maddog-b said:

PB still works for COD2?

Don't think so, but when the Australian scene was still active it was.  Might not have done much good against blocking the majority of paid hacks, but did at least block a few commands within the game itself to stop easily available exploits (hence my point).

but you post raises a good point as to mods, from what I have been reading there will be many of the mod features adopted from past mods as the devs think fit and I remember the early days of cod where myself personally found it too dull to return to playing vCOD after spending some time on a server running the totalwar mod, hence vCOD "lost" a player (not much of a loss I know :D ) suppose we will just have to wait and see.

And I don't see how it'll be any different this time around either?  Battalion will bring the same great core game that CoD1/2/4 did, just like it'll bring that same platform that will allow mods to be developed for casual and competitive gamers alike.

I appreciate what others are saying about in competitive mode things will be vanilla but tbh that is a very small side of a game in terms of number of players and whilst some take the online competitive side very seriously, due to the huge amount of things that can be done to "tip the balance" I cannot really give it any credibility.

No ones denying that there'll be a casual side of the game dude (a big one most likely too), but clearly at this stage in its development competitive is taking the charge due to being the immediate target audience of the devs.  I can see where you're coming from, but I believe you'll just have to be patient and see what you think upon Alpha release.  It's really too soon to start dismissing the direction of the game.

• Upvote 1

17 hours ago, scaR said:

Obviously was along time ago like 9years so don't have any screenshots anymore but I bought and1's config and on dx11 max settings u could see better through smoke naturally without the tweaks. And I always played with pb / Pam in cgi ect was nothing illegal just smart use of config tweaks which is why I paid for it. Even using 250 fps which they made capped had good advantages

• Downvote 1

41 minutes ago, nowai said:

Obviously was along time ago like 9years so don't have any screenshots anymore but I bought and1's config and on dx11 max settings u could see better through smoke naturally without the tweaks.

I'm honestly not sure if you're baiting or just stupid, but CoD2 didn't support dx11.  The fact that you also bought a well-known fps config that was free to the community is pretty funny.

Even using 250 fps which they made capped had good advantages

Thanks captain obvious.  What point are you actually trying to make here?

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

On 13/03/2017 at 0:05 PM, scaR said:

I'm honestly not sure if you're baiting or just stupid, but CoD2 didn't support dx11.  The fact that you also bought a well-known fps config that was free to the community is pretty funny.

Thanks captain obvious.  What point are you actually trying to make here?

I ment dx10 simple miss type of course they where free. But none of which where actually any good and most where just default with added key bindings and names so jokes on you. probly why u were u were trash in Aus cod and will be again in this game pub hero :) cgi wannabe.

• Downvote 3

7 hours ago, nowai said:

But none of which where actually any good and most where just default with added key bindings and names so jokes on you. probly why u were u were trash in Aus cod and will be again in this game pub hero :) cgi wannabe.

The fact that you PAID for a config and the majority of auscod with half a brain only remembers you as a delinquent who regurgitates garbage which you'd probably refer to as words is hilarious.

7 hours ago, nowai said:

I ment dx10 simple miss type of course

Oh, did the config you paid for change the game engine too?  CoD2 only had DirectX 7 & 9 mate.  So.. jokes on you.  I'm beginning to wonder if you even knew how to open up the main menu by yourself, let alone run a config?

Edited by scaR

8 hours ago, ToonBE said:

Haha, but you know I like you :x

6 hours ago, Soldat Ryan said:

LMAO !! xD you make my day, mate. 
+1 :P

What can I say? ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ :D