ToonBE

Question about the "war torn" system

37 posts in this topic

I feel that this does not fit into the idea of a competitive FPS shooter:

- it is a loooot of work to complete and get right, why bother??

- steam hours indicate how veteran you are

- there will be rankings, so no other need then pure visuals

- character models look differently which is difficult in a competitive environment, the more "war torn" the more damaged the clothing and the more "camouflage" you have vs a new player. Seems unfair

- hard to fix spots where visibility is poor because you need to factor in all the different war torn levels

I wouldnt mind of they drop this and use the time for this project to create weapon skins. Also if it is the idea to show how 'veteran' someone is, just show his MM rank?

I dunno... It feels out of place and way too much work... Its a competitive FPS... Focus should be on cleat visuals, gameplay, meta, matchmaking algorithm, levels,.. but not this type of projects with no real added value to the end goal...

Bat44 is not an exclusive competitive FPS.

"War torn" is one of the best idea they had.
I prefer "war torn" system than "crazy skins".

It increase immersion in the game and won't give any advantage.
German and US color gear have to be well differentiate.
What is unfair with a holed pocket or a torn pant ? ... you may be lost faster your nades or cigarettes on the ground :lol: Nothing more.

39 minutes ago, Soldat Ryan said:

Bat44 is not an exclusive competitive FPS.

"War torn" is one of the best idea they had.
I prefer "war torn" system than "crazy skins".

It increase immersion in the game and won't give any advantage.
German and US color gear have to be well differentiate.
What is unfair with a holed pocket or a torn pant ? ... you may be lost faster your nades or cigarettes on the ground :lol: Nothing more.

See, that is where you are wrong. It is an exclusively a competitive FPS.

3 minutes ago, ToonBE said:

exclusively

Heavily focused, not exclusively focused, on competitive gameplay.

The war torn system is pretty cool and fits into a competitive system from a rank point of view, but I'll admit it has been put on the back burner. It was one of my favourite little features, but although its no technical challenge for us, it might not fit into where the game is going. We're having to manoeuvre around some pretty big FPS games doing similar things and we need to fit into the FPS genre comfortably, so things like this have been put on the back burner for now.

Joe

Thats to bad, really liked the idea ¬¬

11 minutes ago, [DEV] BRAMMERTRON said:

The war torn system is pretty cool and fits into a competitive system from a rank point of view, but I'll admit it has been put on the back burner. It was one of my favourite little features, but although its no technical challenge for us, it might not fit into where the game is going. We're having to manoeuvre around some pretty big FPS games doing similar things and we need to fit into the FPS genre comfortably, so things like this have been put on the back burner for now.

Joe

What ? O.o

giphy.gif

Hopefully, "back bunner" doesn't mean "cancelled". huh ? o.O

27 minutes ago, [DEV] BRAMMERTRON said:

Joe

Thx for the reply. Totally makes sense. 

Slowly but surely I lose faith in you...

Cancelled war torn sytsem, added crazy skins, ... whats next? Supply drops?

Posted (edited)

not happy about the demotion of the war torn system. it has no effect on gameplay but the high degree of cosmetic customization is one of the things that this game was sold on at the very beginning. i'm starting to get the sense that development is struggling to strike the right balance between casual and competitive. if it goes too far down either path this game will lose alot of its audience on the opposite side. if Bat44 starts to encroach on CS:GO territory there'll only be one winner. the last thing you'll want to hear when Bat44 comes out is players say "i might as well go and play CS:GO - and it's cheaper". tread carefully guys. i wouldn't want to see you lose perspective.

Edited by Farq-S

People seem to think "put on the backburner" equals to "will never, ever happen".

Posted (edited)

1 hour ago, chippy said:

People seem to think "put on the backburner" equals to "will never, ever happen".

not the point, chippy. what's more significant about this decision is the change of emphasis, perceived or otherwise, of how the devs are developing the game. perception is reality until we play the game.

Edited by Farq-S

Change of emphasis? From what I have read and understand the emphasis is, and always have been, on creating a solid game. If creating a solid game, a fun shooter, requires for somefeatures to be put on hold, reworked or completely scrapped that is not really a change of emphasis. That is a realisation of a particular idea, no matter how interesting it may be, simply will not fit in.

I too loved the idea of this particular system and it's a damn shame to see it being put on hold. However, if the developers thinks that it need's to be put on hold, reworked or perhaps scrapped entirely, in favor of getting the actual gameplay spot on and going; I honestly don't blame them for that. Sometimes you just have to "kill your darlings" so to speak.

Having said that, if they started saying that there is going to be vehicles, killstreak rewards or other really significant changes to what was initially promised, then I would definately be worried.

3 hours ago, Farq-S said:

not happy about the demotion of the war torn system. it has no effect on gameplay but the high degree of cosmetic customization is one of the things that this game was sold on at the very beginning. i'm starting to get the sense that development is struggling to strike the right balance between casual and competitive. if it goes too far down either path this game will lose alot of its audience on the opposite side. if Bat44 starts to encroach on CS:GO territory there'll only be one winner. the last thing you'll want to hear when Bat44 comes out is players say "i might as well go and play CS:GO - and it's cheaper". tread carefully guys. i wouldn't want to see you lose perspective.

You are on console anyway.... It'll be a whole different version of the game.

They have always said that they want a classic competitive fps game. All these costumizations are way to much work and affect gamplay in a negative sense. If you want a game where you want character costulization and all of that stuff, take a look at modern cod games, battlefield and all that type of games.

Battalion 1944' objective is 5vs5 exciting and competitive s&d gameplay in a ww2 setting with decent maps and clear visuals. They are delivering on that promise.

1 hour ago, ToonBE said:

All these costumizations are way to much work and affect gamplay in a negative sense.

Please explain more.

34 minutes ago, xXclusiivE said:

Please explain more.

f.e. visibility

1 hour ago, ToonBE said:

All these costumizations are way to much work and affect gamplay in a negative sense.

Being able to customize your game just as you like is a selling point for a lot of people, in the same way that if you don't like customizations you don't have to make any/switch them off. 

2 hours ago, ToonBE said:

You are on console anyway.... It'll be a whole different version of the game.

They have always said that they want a classic competitive fps game. All these costumizations are way to much work and affect gamplay in a negative sense. If you want a game where you want character costulization and all of that stuff, take a look at modern cod games, battlefield and all that type of games.

Battalion 1944' objective is 5vs5 exciting and competitive s&d gameplay in a ww2 setting with decent maps and clear visuals. They are delivering on that promise.

dumb.jpg

27 minutes ago, ToonBE said:

f.e. visibility

We already said in previous post for comp there should be one rule set meaning one uniform for each faction with no variations other then the weapon one uses but for casual they can go as wild as they please.

21 minutes ago, xXclusiivE said:

We already said in previous post for comp there should be one rule set meaning one uniform for each faction with no variations other then the weapon one uses but for casual they can go as wild as they please.

The thing you forget is that all this costumization needs to be designed and implemented into the game with all the work and problems that entails.

2 minutes ago, ToonBE said:

The thing you forget is that all this costumization needs to be designed and implemented into the game with all the work and problems that entails.

I didn't forget that at all. That's just called creating a game, adding feature, you know all the normal things.

Posted (edited)

I like the idea to have a "war torn system" but it will not make or break the game for me..

but I would like to see it coming one day.. we'll see

Edited by WeAsOne

3 minutes ago, WeAsOne said:

I like the idea to have a "war torn system" but it will not make or break the game for me..

but I would like to see it coming one day.. we'll see

I don't need to see it during Alpha because the only thing I will be doing much like others is bug hunting and helping the devs tweak settings. I would like to however see it during the full release.

Posted (edited)

15 hours ago, Farq-S said:

dumb.jpg

U mad bro? xD

Edited by ToonBE