Jump to content

Recommended Posts

Hello Batallion Devs,

 

If you guys are reading this, do not soil the immersion and fidelity of Batallion by throwing in unrealistic customization into the game. People do not want to see pink Nazis and Neon Green Marines running around with rainbow SMGs. The game looks amazing graphically, but if you do not stick to keeping cosmetics realistic, none of that will matter. I understand you are merely considering this, but it is a bad road for the game. Just listing my concerns

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Scarps said:

Hello Batallion Devs,

 

If you guys are reading this, do not soil the immersion and fidelity of Batallion by throwing in unrealistic customization into the game. People do not want to see pink Nazis and Neon Green Marines running around with rainbow SMGs. The game looks amazing graphically, but if you do not stick to keeping cosmetics realistic, none of that will matter. I understand you are merely considering this, but it is a bad road for the game. Just listing my concerns

I myself would not want to see it but everything you just said is based on your opinion and not fact. Its working amazingly for CSGO(cringes) but I am pretty sure it would work here as well. Again I would rather not see it but..

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, xXclusiivE said:

I myself would not want to see it but everything you just said is based on your opinion and not fact. Its working amazingly for CSGO(cringes) but I am pretty sure it would work here as well. Again I would rather not see it but..

What makes it different is that they are appealing to different people. Batallion is trying to appeal to people who grew playing games like CoD 2. People in that audience are grown and probably wouldn't like to see some guy with a pink FaZe MG42, as opposed to a kid that plays CSGO who loses his mind over a colorful looking AK47

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Scarps said:

What makes it different is that they are appealing to different people. Batallion is trying to appeal to people who grew playing games like CoD 2. People in that audience are grown and probably wouldn't like to see some guy with a pink FaZe MG42, as opposed to a kid that plays CSGO who loses his mind over a colorful looking AK47

No need to explain anything to me, I don't want to see it either but the fact is, is that it works and sells good.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm pretty sure the dev team has a good idea on what kind of appearances and skins would be a good fit but if there are to be those "crazy" skins like in CS:GO the graphics could easily be changed to be more fitting to the era while still keeping the "exclusivity" of the more rare ones.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well actually, our questions and tests show that the majority of people *DO want to see the crazy skins even in WW2. We spoke to Ubisoft about Rainbow Six Siege and they said that their biggest mistake was not doing the crazy skins earlier. 

Like I said, it's all being debated currently and not everyone is a fan of it, so if this is the path we chose, we would make sure you could switch it off. Then everyone could get the experience they wanted? That sounds fair right?

Thanks
Joe

  • Upvote 7
  • Downvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, [DEV] BRAMMERTRON said:

Well actually, our questions and tests show that the majority of people *DO want to see the crazy skins even in WW2. We spoke to Ubisoft about Rainbow Six Siege and they said that their biggest mistake was not doing the crazy skins earlier. 

Like I said, it's all being debated currently and not everyone is a fan of it, so if this is the path we chose, we would make sure you could switch it off. Then everyone could get the experience they wanted? That sounds fair right?

Thanks
Joe

Sounds fair, as long as it's not just a custom server option to turn it off and it can be switched off in all game modes including competitive please.

I've been happy with all the things you and your team have come out with since Kickstarter but this one will really take some persuading.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, [DEV] BRAMMERTRON said:

Well actually, our questions and tests show that the majority of people *DO want to see the crazy skins even in WW2. We spoke to Ubisoft about Rainbow Six Siege and they said that their biggest mistake was not doing the crazy skins earlier. 

Like I said, it's all being debated currently and not everyone is a fan of it, so if this is the path we chose, we would make sure you could switch it off. Then everyone could get the experience they wanted? That sounds fair right?

Thanks
Joe

Do I like it, no. Is it a game changer for me, no. It will not ruin the game for me in any way, so if you devs see it as a plus then I am all game for it!

Edited by xXclusiivE

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just as long as it's optional like all things... Server side tools that allow us old buggers to have more traditional looks.

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
44 minutes ago, [DEV] BRAMMERTRON said:

Well actually, our questions and tests show that the majority of people *DO want to see the crazy skins even in WW2. We spoke to Ubisoft about Rainbow Six Siege and they said that their biggest mistake was not doing the crazy skins earlier. 

Like I said, it's all being debated currently and not everyone is a fan of it, so if this is the path we chose, we would make sure you could switch it off. Then everyone could get the experience they wanted? That sounds fair right?

Thanks
Joe

Well that sounds fair. Personally I'm an old timer and got into WWII FPS shooters initially for my historical interests. So my personal feel is I'd prefer to have skins that are more appropriate to the feel of WWII. When you say switch it off....would that have to be a server side setting or could the gaming state handle that as a client option? But saying that and  with my gaming server admin hat on.....I'd potentially be limiting the traffic to my Clans server if turned off server side...so as much as it's not my personal taste, I understand it may be others and I'd have to live with it. Game looks to be taking shape and think we can all see we finally have something to get excited about. Keep up the good work!

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I’m a bit concerned aswell. I understand the developers would add this feature to the game. But Counter strike is very different because it’s a game that could be in 2017 where Batallion took place ages ago. Nowadays it’s  in my opinion much more realistic that you could change the color of your gun for example. I think earning different skins is the right direction but I think the skins should be limited to realistic skins. I’m a bit concerned about the competive scene, where players are trying to be funny and dress up pink and because of that are much more visible. Which could be annoying for the other ‘serious’ players. In my opinion it wouldn’t be a good thing to add this to the competive scene. Adding this to private or fun servers is probably better then, because i think realism Is really important to people that like cod 1 or cod 2 games.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
57 minutes ago, [DEV] BRAMMERTRON said:

Like I said, it's all being debated currently and not everyone is a fan of it, so if this is the path we chose, we would make sure you could switch it off. Then everyone could get the experience they wanted? That sounds fair right?

Humm, one of the main feature of the game is the customization of our character. We are all ok with this.
One other good argument was : " WE WILL NOT BE CREATING BRIGHT PINK STRIPEY WEAPONS." (there are other exemple)

RUDE PART : ON o.O
Debating is ok but AGAIN take care about what you said by the past. Little to little you move back to what was said and what attract most of us to support Battalion from the start.
Soon the game will have nothing to do with "old school" game you wanted to make (referring to COD2 or MOHAA or ET). If you implement these feature you are only making an other F..king crap game with WWII skins.
You would to distinguish from other big studio but you are choosing the same path. I m super hype by the project but starting to be disappointed by the path you are looking at. You said us to trust you. We did. Ths morning, i have some questioning. :(
RUDE PART : OFF :)

Back to fair arguments :
Implementing "crazy" skins and allow us to switch it off is a solution but not a good solution IMHO because it will split the communities between people who want to play with pink/red/crap colors of their Garand/Kar/other and those who are looking for a little of reality (i don't say "realism") because they won't be able to play together in reason of restriction server.
DO NOT neglect ingame immersion that is an important game aspect for most of us.
Immersion is a main part of "old school" games too and made the success of these games, not only gameplay.

Cheers.

  • Upvote 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Soldat Ryan said:

Implementing "crazy" skins and allow us to switch it off is a solution but not a good solution IMHO because it will split the communities [...]

It depens if that switch is done server or client side though. While it most likely would be server side you do have a point, although in my mind it seems like a non issue.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, chippy said:

It depens if that switch is done server or client side though. While it most likely would be server side you do have a point, although in my mind it seems like a non issue.

I see no interest to do it on client side. In all case, players with option ON will play to win/buy theses skins and play with. It is a normal behavior.
Other point if it is only on client side, players who are looking for ingame immersion with option OFF, can meet players with option ON on same server. It will break immersion because there is nothing to prevent them.

If it is an option on server side (the post predictable IMO), the players who win these skins couldn't/wouldn't join servers with this option OFF because they want to play with thier pink weapons = Splitting

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Soldat Ryan said:

Other point if it is only on client side, players who are looking for ingame immersion with option OFF, can meet players with option ON on same server

Again depends on how they do it. In my mind the most logical approach would be if I have it turned off and you have it turned on you would still see the skin I have applied, if I have applied one. But I wouldn't see yours since it's only affecting my end.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
36 minutes ago, Soldat Ryan said:

Back to fair arguments :
Implementing "crazy" skins and allow us to switch it off is a solution but not a good solution IMHO because it will split the communities between people who want to play with pink/red/crap colors of their Garand/Kar/other and those who are looking for a little of reality (i don't say "realism") because they won't be able to play together in reason of restriction server.
DO NOT neglect ingame immersion that is an important game aspect for most of us.
Immersion is a main part of "old school" games too and made the success of these games, not only gameplay.

Cheers.

Exactly. This is why if it's included, it HAS to be an in-game option in the game menu, not just a custom server option.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, chippy said:

Again depends on how they do it. In my mind the most logical approach would be if I have it turned off and you have it turned on you would still see the skin I have applied, if I have applied one. But I wouldn't see yours since it's only affecting my end.

ok i understand your though.
But the objective of these skins (on player side) is to be seen by other too and create desire and rage from others players ;).
If you can't show it to other (option ON) : "Hey look i have the last Blue Kar98 !" and me (option OFF) "Hum ? What ? I don't see it. I don't care !" you will be frustrated a little ! :D

I m may be wrong but what about ressource ? The game has to calculate and make the difference between what it has to show and what must be hidden/changed for each players. There is necessarily an effect on the server side.

On Arma3, if a gamer is playing with a gear you are not using, he is shown with underwear. A bit ridiculous. :P

arma32013-10-0614-58-35-91.png

;)

 

Edited by Soldat Ryan

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I would like to emphasize that battalion and games like Rainbow Six and Counter strike differ a lot from each other. While Rainbow Six and counterstrike do have strong similarities. The colored weapons fit more at the present time than the past. In my view, the best solution is that only skins are available that fit the timeframe of 1944. If there are enough customization options, then also the people who like this a lot could be satisfied.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If you don't like the skins just don't purchase them and maybe have a client side option to set to default.. If anything micro transactions such as skin payments are a huge financial boost to the continued development and improvements of the game - it's a very different game and the player base numbers will obviously differ initially but if you head over to this article http://www.hltv.org/blog/11798-how-much-money-valve-is-making-from-csgo you'll get an idea of how valuable this avenue can be, especially if there's only a single payment for the entire game without any bullshit season passes or dlcs. This doesn't mean that the skins will be outrageous I'm sure the devs have an idea of what they wanna do already anyways.

 

Can't please everyone tho I guess

Edited by pukiz
  • Downvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, pukiz said:

If you don't like the skins just don't purchase them and maybe have a client side option to set to default..

It is not so simple of that.
Even if you don't buy them you will be able to win them with time (still refering to this post - if Devs do not change their mind on this change too ! 9_9 ) so after a while everybody will be able to have them - even those who don't want them. o.O

17 minutes ago, pukiz said:

Can't please everyone tho I guess

Indeed. but you can't ask to trust on your words if you change your minds each monthes.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well, definitely not agreed with those "crazy skins". Even more if you're thinking about this because of a game like "Rainbow Six Siege" ! O.o

And I also don't like when there is too much experience differences from one player to another (I'm talking about the switch on/off btw).

I talked about this with some friends who are really hyped about the game but are not on the forums, they were disapointed like I was when reading this.

Edit: I might be wrong, but it looks like the guys from Ubisoft are just happy because they earned much money from this... so... yeah, I don't know...

We'll see :)

Edited by kinda
  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think it's also quite funny that we've seen such a nice screenshot of how bat 1944 will look like (realistic). If the german soldier was aiming a colored gun that would have been really weird ^^

 

  • Upvote 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Scarps said:

Batallion is trying to appeal to people who grew playing games like CoD 2. 

It appeals to those people, but if battalion would only be played by people who previously played moh, cod,.. back in the day, the player base of battalion would be tiny.

I think we should all be realistic and acknowledge that the majority of the players of battalion 1944 will never have played cod1, cod2, cod4, moh or w:et.

90% of the players will not care about fidelity, but they will want a pink thompson or a cool looking primary pistol to bash people with as the ultimate act of owning someone.

I personaly don't need fidelity, but I get why you are posting your concern. Maybe, you should see Battalion 1944 as a service and not as a game. It is the objective to support and update battalion for many years to come. For this to happen you need money and money can only be generated by the player base. A very good way to make money is to sell weapon skins, therefore you cannot get creative enough in designing these skins as you want a skin for everyonce tastes. if lts say 40% of the players want flashy looking skins, it would be unwise not to provide this option from a business point of view as well as when you want to support the game for the years to come.

 

4 hours ago, kinda said:

it looks like the guys from Ubisoft are just happy because they earned much money from this... so... yeah, I don't know...

Its the whole purpose of having skins.. to make money

Edited by ToonBE

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Soldat Ryan said:

Humm, one of the main feature of the game is the customization of our character. We are all ok with this.
One other good argument was : " WE WILL NOT BE CREATING BRIGHT PINK STRIPEY WEAPONS." (there are other exemple)

RUDE PART : ON o.O
Debating is ok but AGAIN take care about what you said by the past. Little to little you move back to what was said and what attract most of us to support Battalion from the start.
Soon the game will have nothing to do with "old school" game you wanted to make (referring to COD2 or MOHAA or ET). If you implement these feature you are only making an other F..king crap game with WWII skins.
You would to distinguish from other big studio but you are choosing the same path. I m super hype by the project but starting to be disappointed by the path you are looking at. You said us to trust you. We did. Ths morning, i have some questioning. :(

I am getting the same vibe. 8 months ago how they where showing the game off and such seemed as if this was the game that was bringing back the CoD2 feel that we all loved. A game that would benefit all party's and everyone would love. Now the only vibe I am getting is 100% competitive. It really is going the CSGO route, by this I mean "competitive" playlist will be no different then the "casual" play list. 

I bought the game so I now own it forever and will try it but as each day goes on I am slowly loosing faith for the old school CoD2 feeling game that we where hyped up for from the beginning.

  • Upvote 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Freakshow said:

Exactly. This is why if it's included, it HAS to be an in-game option in the game menu, not just a custom server option.

Well no, because it would destroy the whole purpose of having skins. The value lies in the rarity and so who will buy skins if you cannot show them? You can ofcourse choose your own skin, so if you want your skin to look like a true WW2 weapon sure no problem. You will however be able to see other peoples skins and you will be forced to play with them if you need their gun in a certain situation. But hey, you can always refuse to pick up a thompson because you don't like a skin and enter a 1vs4 clutch with your sniper rifle when the bomb is planted.. up to you... ;d

  • Downvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×