MattWolf

Head glitching roundtable

21 posts in this topic

So, in pretty much every competitive FPS game head glitching (being able to shoot when only the very top of your head is visible over an obstacle) is a thing.

I was just curious everyone's thoughts on this.

To me it's been an annoyance knowing that if you were to optimize your competitive movement you had to always abuse head glitch peek spots. 

It seems like it's just kind of been regarded as an acceptable thing across the majority of games.

Edited by MattWolf

Unfortunately using your head to shoot people Is best solution to the problem thus far. Otherwise it creates situations where one player can see another without knowing he can be seen. 

Additionally you don't want to be in a circumstance where you can see a player but your gun shoots the wall in front of you. 

the only effective solution to head glitching is to design maps that minimize the spots where you can head glitch. Battlefield 4 tried to overcome this problem by making the bullets come out of your gun instead of your eyes but, as muso said, it throws up just as many problems. Overwatch is the perfect example of well designed maps. i haven't encountered a single match where a widowmaker, ana or hanzo could head glitch.

Head glitching is not a problem imo.. I just shoot their heads.

It's not unfair cause every player could make use of it..

This is how oldschool first person shooters are designd and i loved it.. and still do!

btw: In real life you shoot a gun by using your ironsight.. with the ironsight placed between your eye and your enemy.. so it's not unrealistic at all right..

Edited by WeAsOne

47 minutes ago, WeAsOne said:

btw: In real life you shoot a gun by using your ironsight.. with the ironsight placed between your eye and your enemy.. so it's not unrealistic at all right..

Wut! LOL but when you head glitch the gun isn't even up to there eye, you cant see the weapon at all.

Depends what you define as head glitching. To me head glitching is where your head is invisible to any other player, but you can see them. However, if their head is showing, thats fair play as that player is visible and killable 

I know what I call head glitching is when I can only see 50-70% of there head and yet they can still shoot me when in their screen there weapon is clearly below the object.

The guys over at Off World Industry fixed this problem. I assume the devs over here can as well.

10 hours ago, xXclusiivE said:

Wut! LOL but when you head glitch the gun isn't even up to there eye, you cant see the weapon at all.

Isn't their head enough? In real they won't show their torso either in a fight on that place..

1 hour ago, WeAsOne said:

Isn't their head enough? In real they won't show their torso either in a fight on that place..

to be able to shoot properly I should be able to see there upper torso at least.. above the breast plate.

We had this in cod2 where people abused and could kill you before even you see them(we call that clip).I dont think it represent any problem nowdays since the community created pam mode where that bug is fixed.If community can fix that for 12years old game,i dont think developers will have much problem with that.

20 hours ago, jcuz said:

Depends what you define as head glitching. To me head glitching is where your head is invisible to any other player, but you can see them. However, if their head is showing, thats fair play as that player is visible and killable 

Currently I was just talking about how you can often only see half or so of the enemy head yet they can shoot you. 

It's kind of become accepted in competitive fps but I don't know if that's a good thing tbh.

21 hours ago, WeAsOne said:

Head glitching is not a problem imo.. I just shoot their heads.

It's not unfair cause every player could make use of it..

This is how oldschool first person shooters are designd and i loved it.. and still do!

The problem does tend to be that it's almost impossible to see the head and you don't see the gun model at all so the headglitcher will generally have the advantage for free unless you peek from another headglitch spot or just set nade them.

I just wanted to group together thoughts because it's kind of become accepted as the norm and I was just curious if people thought it would be worth it to attempt to create a new standard where it's not possible but it doesn't make gameplay annoyances.

So our first and 3rd and 1st person crouching animations sync up perfectly so they can't be abused in this way by headshot angles.

We're planning on implementing as CS:GO style 'delay' if you spam crouch too often in one spot.

Edited by [DEV] KingHoward

41 minutes ago, [DEV] KingHoward said:

We're planning on implementing as CS:GO style 'delay' if you spam crouch too often in one spot.

I'm guessing that'll apply to prone as well?  Thank god for no more pub verters.

3 hours ago, [DEV] KingHoward said:

So our first and 3rd and 1st person crouching animations sync up perfectly so they can't be abused in this way by headshot angles.

Music to my ears :x

On 2/21/2017 at 8:03 PM, sadddddddd said:

We had this in cod2 where people abused and could kill you before even you see them(we call that clip).I dont think it represent any problem nowdays since the community created pam mode where that bug is fixed.If community can fix that for 12years old game,i dont think developers will have much problem with that.

We used to call that VLLing; named after the left leaning glitch we had in vCod. Both were extremely annoying!

On 2/22/2017 at 11:07 AM, [DEV] KingHoward said:

Can we assume that this apply to lean too?

didn't this come up in a discussion about jump/zoom where a person can jump to see over a box/obstacle barely exposing his head yet still able to shoot his opponent..

caused by taking the line of fire from eye rather than weapon, some argue it's a skill but IMHO less of a skill than lining up with the side of the obstacle quickly then leaning out to take the shot which seems a much more "natural" method of movement.

54 minutes ago, Datamursu said:

Can we assume that this apply to lean too?

I felt in CoD4 consecutive leaning wasn't an issue, neither was crouching tbh. Also hope the crouch delay isn't too sensitive as crouching is usually the fastest way to silent walk

I think this thread has kind of been half and half. A lot of people I believe are referring to CoD2 where you could repeatedly prone> crouch and shoot before your character model could be visible.

I also just wanted to know if the prospect of maps having areas where barely the top of your head is visible, has become the acceptable standard as to how bullets come out from the forehead in most fps games. Spots where you can just afk camp knowing that only a fraction of your head is visible.

I realize that map design could mitigate it/ prevent it but it seems to be something that has been in fps games for so long that most people find it acceptable.

Of course there are people who say "it's not difficult just get good" but the truth is the camper sitting in a headglitch spot should always have the advantage as you need less accurate shots since most people peeking/ pushing you will not also have a headglitch spot of their own.

headglitch.png

Edited by MattWolf
clarification/ adding pic of headglitch

18 hours ago, jcuz said:

I felt in CoD4 consecutive leaning wasn't an issue, neither was crouching tbh. Also hope the crouch delay isn't too sensitive as crouching is usually the fastest way to silent walk

In older CoDs it was because you could abuse it as it lead situations where hitbox and graphic information didn't follow each other accurately. also known as clipping.

That was left lean glitch in cod1 which was fixed for cod2