DustMouret

Spectating Battalion 1944 for competitive play

7 hours ago, sh0tyz said:

This would be interesting. What sort of stats would be good?

K/D Ratio, Average Damage Per Round (ADR), HS% maybe?, 1vX wins, etc. 

6 hours ago, ToonBE said:

@DustMouret

You should be proud. From personal exerience whenever "CSGO" is part of your post its already over.

On a more serious note, obviously I completele agree.

To add something: spectator tools are a must have, however when the game lacks tactical depth, meta and skill not even the most amazing spectator tools will make it interesting enough.

Ya I am curious what type of tactical depth there will be. With an S&D game mode being used as the primary competitive game mode we will hopefully see cool map control plays, site executes, etc. 

• Upvote 1

11 hours ago, DustMouret said:

we will hopefully see cool map control plays, site executes, etc. 

I hope so too. But in order to see that type of gameplay we need utility into the game: smokes, mollies, grenades and flashes (flashes will be debated on a lot because 'not wwII').

Also they plan to introduce regenerating health which means that agressive plays and grenades are rendered useless, because when you deal damage to 3 opponents and then die you will have contributed nothing to the round because their health will just regenerate.

Also every round will be the same, from the 1st to the 30th. No 'game in a game' like economy i' csgo. What will casters be talking about all those rounds if they are basically the same.

Anyway, I see a lot of problems regarding competitiveness diversity and depth. A lot of thought needs to go into what type of gameplay elements will make the game actually fun to play and certainly to watch and cast.

Lets hope they have a lot of great ideas.

Edited by ToonBE
  • Downvote 1

5 hours ago, ToonBE said:

I hope so too. But in order to see that type of gameplay we need utility into the game: smokes, mollies, grenades and flashes (flashes will be debated on a lot because 'not wwII').

Also they plan to introduce regenerating health which means that agressive plays and *grenades are rendered useless, because when you deal damage to 3 opponents and then die you will have contributed nothing to the round because their health will just regenerate.

*Also every round will be the same, from the 1st to the 30th. No 'game in a game' like economy i' csgo. What will casters be talking about all those rounds if they are basically the same.

Anyway, I see a lot of problems regarding competitiveness diversity and depth. A lot of thought needs to go into what type of gameplay elements will make the game actually fun to play and certainly to watch and cast.

Lets hope they have a lot of great ideas.

*If grenades are anything like CoD4 (nuclear nades), I'm worried they could be far too overpowered.

*Is every full buy round the same in CS:GO? No, if every round is the same, someone is doing something wrong.. Just because a game doesn't have economy doesn't mean it's the same every round, it just means they have the same opportunity to win every round, without a handicap. There's still plenty of room for gameplay variance, every player has a different style, every professional team has many different strategies. 

Lets use tennis as an example, say a player loses a game in the first set and now that player has to use a table tennis racket for two games till he can use a regular size one, does that make it more tactical? 

1 hour ago, jcuz said:

*If grenades are anything like CoD4 (nuclear nades), I'm worried they could be far too overpowered.

*Is every full buy round the same in CS:GO? No, if every round is the same, someone is doing something wrong.. Just because a game doesn't have economy doesn't mean it's the same every round, it just means they have the same opportunity to win every round, without a handicap. There's still plenty of room for gameplay variance, every player has a different style, every professional team has many different strategies. 

Lets use tennis as an example, say a player loses a game in the first set and now that player has to use a table tennis racket for two games till he can use a regular size one, does that make it more tactical? 

Full buy rounds are different to the allmost inlimited ammounts of set executes using your utility.

Well tennis is fun to watch because of the immense skill.

I am not saying bat44 will be 100% boring to watch. I am saying that thoughts need to go into gameplay aspects and meta and not only movement, maps, etc

• Downvote 2

For the X-Ray team colors, I think it would be a cool feature to allow teams/clans/squads (whatever the system will be) to pick 2 colors (home and away colors?). This will allow for both teams to have unique colors if they both end up choosing the same primary color to represent them.

Another thing to consider is in-game spectating. An area on the main menu that will show high level matchmaking games or even highlight live tournament games would be wonderful. Being able to choose which casters to listen (or not), camera controls etc. makes the spectating experience awesome. I believe Dota2 did this really well.

Edited by jeffu

Nice idea @jeffu, I think they're planning to add in-game spectating feature aswell, but I'm not sure (have to have a look around).

I like the idea of choosing the 2 colours, that gives each team a more unique look and style(?). 

On 2017-02-17 at 3:22 PM, sh0tyz said:

This would be interesting. What sort of stats would be good?

Accuracy, damage output, shots/hits/kills, assists, plants, defuses, captures, returns, most killed, most killed by. Pretty much everything. Could even be cool to have it being round specific.

Something like accuracy could even be split into which hitbox area have been hit most.

You have to limit the amount of stats shown on screen at the same time, because if there is too much data on the screen you can't enjoy watching the tournament/match. IMO these could be turned ON/OFF, so people can manage what statistics they would like to see and what they wouldn't.

Edited by Alomvampir

2 hours ago, Alomvampir said:

You have to limit the amount of stats shown on screen at the same time, because if there is too much data on the screen you can't enjoy watching the tournament/match. IMO these could be turned ON/OFF, so people can manage what statistics they would like to see and what they wouldn't.

Obviously, that is how Quake Live does it which is what I was referring to.

On 2/17/2017 at 4:12 PM, DustMouret said:

K/D Ratio, Average Damage Per Round (ADR), HS% maybe?, 1vX wins, etc. 

I don't really like ADR because this game has regen so this stat may become a bit inflated. I really like the 1vX wins also, like ESEA had.

I come the very old school of Call of Duty 1 and I absolutely enjoyed the game.  We didn't have promod but we had PAM mod.  I believe that stood for Project Ares Mod, it's been awhile but I don't know for sure.  I think for the competitive side of things there are all kinds of things you need to ensure.  A spectator client is of course essential for competitive play.  I also agree with Dust that I feel CS has done it best.  I also am a firm believer that it has to have developer/publisher support and I know it has that because of everything I've read and seen about the game and Bulkhead.  If you want some opinions from an old Call of Duty 1 player it needs to have a high skill curve, in which players who put in the time should be able to utilize the map in ways newer players do not know how to utilize it.   The bullet registration has to be on point as well, and I will argue this is one of the most essential points because to make a great Esport title you first have to create a great game.  The Esport features should come after the game is on a stable foundation as a game.

• Upvote 1

On ‎28‎/‎02‎/‎2017 at 2:28 AM, jhamersley said:

I come the very old school of Call of Duty 1 and I absolutely enjoyed the game.  We didn't have promod but we had PAM mod.  I believe that stood for Project Ares Mod, it's been awhile but I don't know for sure.  I think for the competitive side of things there are all kinds of things you need to ensure.  A spectator client is of course essential for competitive play.  I also agree with Dust that I feel CS has done it best.  I also am a firm believer that it has to have developer/publisher support and I know it has that because of everything I've read and seen about the game and Bulkhead.  If you want some opinions from an old Call of Duty 1 player it needs to have a high skill curve, in which players who put in the time should be able to utilize the map in ways newer players do not know how to utilize it.   The bullet registration has to be on point as well, and I will argue this is one of the most essential points because to make a great Esport title you first have to create a great game.  The Esport features should come after the game is on a stable foundation as a game.

don't remember the pam mod at all, do remember the totalwar mod and awe, awe seemed to be the dominant one eventually but I still loved totalwar for its admin features like being able to force those with clan tags to one team, anti camping measures and adding ability to "smite"players good times :D 

3 hours ago, jcuz said:

A cool idea I saw from the CSGO reddit, a defuse progress bar over the player model in spectator mode.

The progress bar could be available for teammates(defenders).. also option on/off will be nice to have.