Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
WeAsOne

Building a Battalion pc

18 posts in this topic

Hi all,

I'm building a pc just for battalion but i don't know much about it.

I bought the Alpha package from battalion so i need to hurry a bit.

It's a lot of money so i want your advice.

The setup i almoast got money for is:

Intel core i5 6500 (3.2 Ghz quadcore)

Kingston fury 16GB (2133 Mhz)

275GB SSD (+ 1TB hard disc)

NVIDIA GTX 1050 TI (4GB)

Microsoft windows 10 home (64 bit)

Is this enough to play battalion on ultra or do i need to upgrade something (and safe some more money quickly)?

Thx

Edited by WeAsOne

37 minutes ago, WeAsOne said:

Hi all,

I'm building a pc just for battalion but i don't know much about it.

I bought the Alpha package from battalion so i need to hurry a bit.

It's a lot of money so i want your advice.

The setup i almoast got money for is:

Intel core i5 6500 (3.2 Ghz quadcore)

Kingston fury 16GB (2133 Mhz)

275GB SSD (+ 1TB hard disc)

NVIDIA GTX 1050 TI (4GB)

Microsoft windows 10 home (64 bit)

Is this enough to play battalion on ultra or do i need to upgrade something (and safe some more money quickly)?

Thx

I wouldn't go below a GTX 1070 just because I like thinking long term. Just keep saving for a 1060 though. I wouldn't get a 1050.

So you think a 1050 TI won't play Battalion on ultra? 

Or are you thinking about newer bigger games in the future..? (I really only need a Battalion machine)

2 hours ago, WeAsOne said:

So you think a 1050 TI won't play Battalion on ultra? 

Or are you thinking about newer bigger games in the future..? (I really only need a Battalion machine)

I'm by no means an expert but I like to keep up on hardware. I'm not that confident that a 1050 will run much new on ultra. Although this does beg a few more questions...

Are you trying to reach ultra on 1080p resolution? Are you trying to run ultra @ 60fps or 75, 120, 144 to match up with a monitor?

I would personally hold out to see what AMD announces with their Vega cards, which is what I'm doing. We should have these cards in the first half of this year. I built a new rig before Christmas but I'm still running my old R290X. I'm holding out to see what Vega offers in terms of performance vs cost in comparison to Nvidia's current crop.

Another thing to consider is longevity. How long are you wanting to use your new card for? If you want a card that will run games on ultra/high for a few years, the 1050 won't be the card for you. Nvidia are currently top dog in terms of outright performance but AMD cards do age well and generally get you better performance per £ spent. 

Edit: Rest of the build is solid, though!

Edited by Freakshow

1 hour ago, Freakshow said:

Are you trying to reach ultra on 1080p resolution? Are you trying to run ultra @ 60fps or 75, 120, 144 to match up with a monitor?

I want to play on a 27" 1080p 75Hz and i'm not looking to the future.

Edited by WeAsOne

1 hour ago, Freakshow said:

I'm by no means an expert but I like to keep up on hardware. I'm not that confident that a 1050 will run much new on ultra. Although this does beg a few more questions...

I would personally hold out to see what AMD announces with their Vega cards, which is what I'm doing. We should have these cards in the first half of this year. I built a new rig before Christmas but I'm still running my old R290X. I'm holding out to see what Vega offers in terms of performance vs cost in comparison to Nvidia's current crop.

Another thing to consider is longevity. How long are you wanting to use your new card for? If you want a card that will run games on ultra/high for a few years, the 1050 won't be the card for you. Nvidia are currently top dog in terms of outright performance but AMD cards do age well and generally get you better performance per £ spent. 

Edit: Rest of the build is solid, though!

Agreed! the rest of the build is solid except the video card. You may be building a "battalion" PC but you will eventually get hooked and start to play more games other then Battalion. For me though I would stick to getting a Nividia card. I have found that some games are not optimized well when it comes to AMD cards.

2 minutes ago, WeAsOne said:

I want to play on a 27" 1080p 75Hz and i'm not looking to the future.

Your either rich or you are about to waste a lot of money if your not looking into the future when building a PC. We are not trying to tell you what to do but TRUST me when I say this, you will play more games on a PC then just Battalion.

I thrust you, but my wife kills me if i spend too much right now.

I have the option to buy a 500 euro card next year ^_^

Thanks for the reactions so far ^_^

I want to play Battalion on ultra, other games i dont mind playing them on lower graphics.. 

Will the 1050 TI do this for me? That is the only question that remains..

3 minutes ago, WeAsOne said:

Thanks for the reactions so far ^_^

I want to play Battalion on ultra, other games i dont mind playing them on lower graphics.. 

Will the 1050 TI do this for me? That is the only question that remains..

I don't think we can answer this yet. Maybe a dev can come in here but other then that I have no idea.

I understand.. thanks for the help ^_^

So the rest of the build seems good and the graphics card is just an unknown.. 

I will try to upgrade it to a 1060, but if i fail i will just try the 1050..

Thx all

My last question:

The 1050 TI will have 4GB, the 1060 will have 3GB.. is that bad?

I mean is 3gb a bit low?

My current specs and bought them about 2 years ago and still no need to upgrade:

Asus x79 Sabertooth 2011 Socket Mobo

Intel i7 4930k (3.4GHz) CPU

Corsair Vengence 1866 32GB RAM

EVGA Superclocked 6GB 980ti GPU

Samsung 840Pro SSD

1TB WD Black (2 of them)

If you want a built that will suffice stay with the i5 and the RAM you have don't get the 1050 ti and get a 1060 (youll be better off) other than that you are good to go :) 600W PSU should suffice for a start off :)

But still my question remains: i have the option for a GTX 1060 with 3GB.. but is 3GB maybe too low? The 1050TI has 4GB.. thats why i ask that question

1 hour ago, WeAsOne said:

But still my question remains: i have the option for a GTX 1060 with 3GB.. but is 3GB maybe too low? The 1050TI has 4GB.. thats why i ask that question

For Battalion hell no, 3GB is plenty. 

6 hours ago, WeAsOne said:

Thx ^_^ u guys are awesome 

GB on a GPU doesn't always matter. Speed of the card make a 1GB card act like a 2GB card etc etc etc. 980Ti has 6GB and it performed close to the Titan X, so that says alot.

Look at the chart below. A lot of people bash on the 980ti because its so expensive but its not all about the GB of RAM in a GPU, its how its made to perform. 

980ti 6gb vs Titan X 12gb (980ti keeps up with the Titan X and its less expensive, not by much but still save a couple hundred bucks)

NVIDIA-GeForce-GTX-980TI-R9-300-Hawai-3D

I'm starting to understand.. for € 60,- more i can get the 1060 3GB and i will take that one. It's my first game pc since i had one for CoD1 :D 

That was with a geforce fx 5600 or 6500.. can't remember haha

17 minutes ago, WeAsOne said:

I'm starting to understand.. for € 60,- more i can get the 1060 3GB and i will take that one. It's my first game pc since i had one for CoD1 :D 

That was with a geforce fx 5600 or 6500.. can't remember haha

Good choice :) you will not regret it! And then when you have the money for a powerful card you can get the 1080ti when it comes out!! :P but that will be around 800-900 bucks USD. So around 700 euro