vozER

Jump + zoom

Jump + zoom   

169 members have voted

1. 1. Should you have your aim zoomed / ironsighted when jumping?

• Yes
    • No
    • I don't care

I dont like the 360 scope style.. seems too unrealistic 2 me.. 

I mean would you like to see that in a ww2 movie? I don't..

Maybe im too oldschool? I like oldschool!

;)

Edited by WeAsOne

It's an arcade fps competitive shooter, realism is probably one of the later thoughts (and rightly so) , Fluidity and a multiple of ways to out skill an opponent is best. 

• Upvote 4

Indifferent. In COD2 I didn't mind it and never found it annoying or disturbing. However, Battalion is a completely different game so it might be the other way around. Need to try it before passing a verdict.

does bring up a good question tho, are the mechanics of the game going to be so unrealistic as to allow shots where the weapon is not clear of an obstacle?

On 2/9/2017 at 4:58 AM, [DEV] BRAMMERTRON said:

Jump shots add another level of skill and another dimension to the game, jumping & ADS is in Battalion.

YESS!!

side note: If a normal community member where to say this it would be a down vote or no vote, Dev says it and BAM all up votes hahahaha.. 9_9

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

1 hour ago, xXclusiivE said:

YESS!!

side note: If a normal community member where to say this it would be a down vote or no vote, Dev says it and BAM all up votes hahahaha.. 9_9

Not so sure about that. It's a mechanic that exists in CoD2 & 4, which are games a lot of us have played and is a reason why a bunch of us are here in the first place. Probably not popular with the realism fans, though. I mean there is a poll attached to this thread...look at the OP and then the poll :P

Edited by Freakshow

1 hour ago, Freakshow said:

Not so sure about that. It's a mechanic that exists in CoD2 & 4, which are games a lot of us have played and is a reason why a bunch of us are here in the first place. Probably not popular with the realism fans, though. I mean there is a poll attached to this thread...look at the OP and then the poll :P

I know the majority want it but my statement still stands. I have seen numerous post and people get down voted for certain game post only then to see a Dev say the same thing and be up voted. I just find it funny but back on topic.

6 hours ago, Freakshow said:

it is an interesting concept but surely the reality is the jump/zoom/shoot is actually a flaw in the mechanics of those two games, as I said both involve the weapon firing from behind and through an obstacle, the reality is if implemented properly there would be no one using this method as the penalty involved would be so bad it would leave the user at severe disadvantages.

IMHO allowing mastering a glitch in a games physics is not something to be encouraged as it would open the door to many other types of exploits

• Downvote 1

Yeah, i mean if you can jump and shoot what other crazy 'exploits' could you do... i mean remember all those exploits in cod4? What were those again?

1 hour ago, muso said:

Yeah, i mean if you can jump and shoot what other crazy 'exploits' could you do... i mean remember all those exploits in cod4? What were those again?

its not about the jump and shoot, do you really need that explained?

to perform the traditional jump shot, in all the games mentioned not one involves the weapon clearing the obstacle as to do so would leave the player able to jump to unrealistic heights, go ahead place some boxes on the floor level with your head and try getting an imaginary hip slung rifle to clear those boxes. (tho I suspect this topic is more about the "quick scopers"  so unrealistic an action it belongs in quake)

this leaves us with one of two scenarios,

a. the players can jump 4 foot vertically making the game look like low gravity UT or;

b. the game engines mechanics take the firing position from the line of sight not the line of weapon (a side note here is we are removing one skill to replace with another adding no more depth to the game)

the secondary option then performs the actions of an "exploit" where a player is able to fire on enemies with only his head visible, creating as many camping positions as there are obstacles and possibly slowing the game down.

I really don't understand why anyone would want to build a new WW2 shooter with these type of mechanics, surely there are enough franchises out there with those already such as unreal, quake doom etc.

Edited by maddog-b
oops
  • Downvote 1

While I agree jump shots add to the skill to the game in a lot of aspects, there should be some delay at least in being able to prone so soon after a jump. Having people sprint jump prone every corner in CoD4 was kind of overpowered.

• Upvote 3

2 hours ago, bilbin said:

While I agree jump shots add to the skill to the game in a lot of aspects, there should be some delay at least in being able to prone so soon after a jump. Having people sprint jump prone every corner in CoD4 was kind of overpowered.

this is slightly off topic as the OP is about jump/zoom/scope but.... i recall that being an issue in the first call of duty, thought they patched it to introduce a kind of stun effect on landing which would be the sensible way to go, give increased weapon shake for a small amount of time in air and on landing, this would stop all the ridiculous jumping round corners ie %90 of the time you die because you couldn't aim as well as those covering that area.

2 hours ago, maddog-b said:

this is slightly off topic as the OP is about jump/zoom/scope but.... i recall that being an issue in the first call of duty, thought they patched it to introduce a kind of stun effect on landing which would be the sensible way to go, give increased weapon shake for a small amount of time in air and on landing, this would stop all the ridiculous jumping round corners ie %90 of the time you die because you couldn't aim as well as those covering that area.

The first call of duty didn't have sprint and you couldn't ironsight while in the air.. CoD:UO had sprint but you still couldn't ironsight while in the air, the sprint + jump + ironsight combo was first in CoD4. In CoD2, first CoD where you could ironsight while in the air, you had to change to your pistol to move faster.

• Upvote 2

Was a fan of Jump + ADS in CoD2.  Was hugely not a fan of the same thing in CoD4.  Obvious reason being the Sprint + Jump + ADS combo was commonly used and abused by pimply face spastics, equipped with SMGs, over-induced on energy drinks that were also likely to call you a virgin nerd after fragging you in a gag-reflex worthy display.  Yes I'm still a little tilted from that and the chip on my shoulder from it is definitely evident.

I'm not suggesting the same capabilities shouldn't be implemented into Battalion, mainly due to the variation in weapon selections, however if the Thompson Sprint + Jump + ADS (and god forbid add prone to that combo) becomes a thing in Battalion, it'll disturb a lot of people.  But I guess time will tell.

For players not moving (or sprinting at the very least), I have no qualms with ADS being able to be used whilst in the air as I agree that it helps raise the skill ceiling.

5 hours ago, bilbin said:

Is that you my Bilbin???? (CKS/AUM?)

• Upvote 3

8 hours ago, jcuz said:

The first call of duty didn't have sprint and you couldn't ironsight while in the air.. CoD:UO had sprint but you still couldn't ironsight while in the air, the sprint + jump + ironsight combo was first in CoD4. In CoD2, first CoD where you could ironsight while in the air, you had to change to your pistol to move faster.

he was talking about the jump/prone issue not about ironsights in air and that was what I was responding to..

btw did anyone actually play cod vanilla lol, so many classic mods such as total war which added the sprint and was available very soon after release.

4 hours ago, maddog-b said:

btw did anyone actually play cod vanilla lol, so many classic mods such as total war which added the sprint and was available very soon after release.

There were mods that added sprint in cod2 as well, usually played with in the same servers that gave you trip wires or made your Luger sound like a blaster from Starwars.  So I don't see how that's relevant to the core gameplay or competitive model of those games.

• Upvote 2

See i liked that style of gameplay @scaR is jaded about. The fluidity of being able to move around so effectively made the game less linear and less boring. I think its fair to let people with faster reflex's win. I know i'm gonna get dropped by some 17 year old on energy drinks but i think its a game mechanic that made the game what it was. Also, the whole problem was pretty much fixed when they removed wepnext. 

4 minutes ago, muso said:

See i liked that style of gameplay @scaR is jaded about. The fluidity of being able to move around so effectively made the game less linear and less boring. I think its fair to let people with faster reflex's win. I know i'm gonna get dropped by some 17 year old on energy drinks but i think its a game mechanic that made the game what it was. Also, the whole problem was pretty much fixed when they removed wepnext. 

I think you missed my point muso m8 or I wasn't clear enough.  I'm against the sprint + jump + ads with spam, not with rifles.  And again, different game, different set of weapons (i.e. more rifles) so it might not be a problem.

Edited by scaR

1 hour ago, muso said:

Yeah good point @muso, big issue was weapnext waitbinds 

On 2/9/2017 at 2:28 AM, [DEV] BRAMMERTRON said:

Jump shots add another level of skill and another dimension to the game, jumping & ADS is in Battalion.

That is all fine and dandy that it adds another layer of skill but when this game was first starting to get funded on Kickstarter it was advertised as a game in the vein of classic Call of Duty or even Medal of Honor. If ADS jump shooting is going to be included in this game then I think it was a bit disingenuous to peg it as an "old school shooter". Frankly I was expecting the controls and capabilities to be pretty darn close to the first Call of Duty/ Call of Duty: UO which to me is one of the most dynamic and balanced shooters BECAUSE of its simplicity. I think most people that were enthusiastic about this game started to become disillusioned with the COD franchise because of the additions over time of gimmicky game mechanics and, to me, the ADS jump shot stuff is just that. Another gimmicky game mechanic. I may be in the minority here, but frankly, if those types of mechanics are in the game then I for one would like my money back because that is NOT how this game was advertised and I feel a bit taken advantage of because those are NOT the mechanics of an "old school shooter". I thought this game was supposed to be for people that were sick of that gimmicky crap? If you want to play a game that "adds another level of skill and another dimension to the game" through gimmicks then there's always Titanfall, or Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare for that kind of crap.

Yes for me, for allowing the player to reduce the random as much as possible.

On 16/01/2017 at 8:41 AM, vozER said:

I think you should be able to jump and shoot, but not jump + shoot and aim accurately. It's a risky thing to jump + hip shot, but when it succeeds, its highly rewarding. After long run, jump + shot becomes quite frustrating, in my opinion. Good points, though.

I don't think it's a good thing to randomly reward action.

On 02/02/2017 at 10:49 PM, WeAsOne said:

I dont like the 360 scope style.. seems too unrealistic 2 me..

360 no scope is lot more realistic...

1 hour ago, Connard said:

Yes for me, for allowing the player to reduce the random as much as possible.

I don't think it's a good thing to randomly reward action.

360 no scope is lot more realistic...

Care to explain? 

Do you mean there shouldn't be any luck involved? 

I think when it seems almost impossible to hit an enemy - and somehow you manage to do it - is highly rewarding.

For example, when you are just about to go behind a corner, and manage to see an enemy. You don't have time to zoom-in, you just have to hip-fire and pray that your bullet hits  the enemy (which is a really low% number to succeed). It's gonna reveal your position, but there's a tiny chance you will hit. 

Aimed shots should be always 100% accurate, hip-shots definitely not.

Anyway. ADS + jumping is already implemented in the game. Nothing to see here.

Edited by vozER

7 hours ago, vozER said:

Care to explain? 

The gameplay shouldn't encourage player to make action base on random gameplay mechanic. If the game doesn't allow players to aim while being in air, there will be situations where players will make random jump shot that they don't have any control on the outcome because it can be the best "chance" to win a fight, which is bad for competitive play. If the game want to be competitive, it must give players options to limit random outcomes and favorise skill over luck.