Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
maddog-b

Server Admin ideas

45 posts in this topic

some great ideas from gameplayers but how about server admins, cmon make their life easy so they can play sometimes too :)

my idea, give admins ability to remove scoreboards, cheats cheat mainly for one reason, to see their names up there...people who just enjoy playing will still play

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Server control panel like DoW is a good idea.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

THe life of server admins should be easy.

I openned a thread about server settings options few month ago. (link below to remind it ! ^_^ )

The answer of @[DEV] KingHoward goes in the good drection. ;)

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I remember back in MOHAA, there was a tool to where you'd log into your server and you can do anything to the server through this tool. This helped simplify server admins side. Once the game comes out later, I'm sure someone (or even me) can help develop a server admin tool to help control your server.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, sh0tyz said:

I remember back in MOHAA, there was a tool to where you'd log into your server and you can do anything to the server through this tool. This helped simplify server admins side. Once the game comes out later, I'm sure someone (or even me) can help develop a server admin tool to help control your server.

Remember a few Rcon tools from Mohaa. I think I mainly used the one your talking about to change the gravity settings. Was like playing UT :D:D

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Please keep it simple, as a server admin your game time is diminished enough without having to learn multiple new commands what would be great is a printable list of default commands that as admins we could refer to...

2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, Dogster said:

Please keep it simple, as a server admin your game time is diminished enough without having to learn multiple new commands what would be great is a printable list of default commands that as admins we could refer to...

I agree, the other thread focussed far to much on server options, that's gameplay not administration, setting up those options on a server is usually only performed once, this thread was about day to day administration of the server.

if the game is successful there will be many 3rd party rcon tools available soon after release, didn't take long for cod1/2 to get these so maybe not a priority but your idea to ship with this list is good,

I have  a fairly decent idea for a long term anti-cheat system that could keep a game alive for some time from both a  business and a player perspective but am unsure about where to go with it..

 

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't mind if there are 3rd party rcon tools etc. but I would still probably prefer doing thing trough console too. Tinkering with the small things which could broke the game if done wrong was fun but probably those options wouldn't be available in 3rd party rcon tools because it could be bad experience for inexperienced users. Proper mod support will most likely satisfy nearly everyone anyway admin or player.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎13‎/‎01‎/‎2017 at 0:25 PM, Datamursu said:

I don't mind if there are 3rd party rcon tools etc. but I would still probably prefer doing thing trough console too. Tinkering with the small things which could broke the game if done wrong was fun but probably those options wouldn't be available in 3rd party rcon tools because it could be bad experience for inexperienced users. Proper mod support will most likely satisfy nearly everyone anyway admin or player.

console is ok but in no way compares to the quality of using a well designed rcon tool, to be able to get a list of players up see all the current info on them and possibly drill down to view aliases used previously, previous warnings bans etc would be a great advantage over the amount of "learning" commands  and typing in consoles.

good manual admin takes man hours and to be able to shift some of that weight to "juniors" would be a huge plus, just look at how bb3 works to see the advantages.

1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I understand benefits of proper rcon tools and how it makes things easier, that was never questioned. My point was that I would still probably prefer do certain things trough console too and I would assume that certain things are not "available" in rcon tools just because the vast amount of available commands. You have to type them anyway. Also I am not exactly sure from what that bb3 is abbreviation in this case because it have been long time since I have administrated game server last time. 

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

One thing I also think is important is that we have a section here that we can head to if we get any issues with server and get a rapid response. Having run a DOI server for several months I have to say not having a thorough set has made admin side tricky at best and very time consuming at worst. 

1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎14‎/‎01‎/‎2017 at 1:48 PM, Datamursu said:

I understand benefits of proper rcon tools and how it makes things easier, that was never questioned. My point was that I would still probably prefer do certain things trough console too and I would assume that certain things are not "available" in rcon tools just because the vast amount of available commands. You have to type them anyway. Also I am not exactly sure from what that bb3 is abbreviation in this case because it have been long time since I have administrated game server last time. 

bb3 or big brother 3 is a server monitoring program for a few games that does basic admin functions like auto kicking/banning for offensive/racist language it has many other functions but can automate via it's rcon interface many simple admin functions.

again I am not talking about server settings for gameplay as this is usually decided before the server is setup and often anyone paying for a server would not want admins playing around with gameplay settings whilst the server is live, i'm more interested here in things/design that can take server admin to a new level of ease.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So my guess was correct that you meant BigBrotherBot (B3) which is also familiar to me as we used that back in days when CoD4 was new. That won't change the thing that I would still prefer to do certain things trough console even if administrative tools would be more extensive. In the other hand I was already thinking this hypothetical administrative tool to be something more than what B3 was/is when I said that I would still prefer console in some cases. Mainly I though of tool which have, apart from daily operations, also easy-to-use options to control server or its settings on fly without need to go on server side yourself. Just by clicking around with your mouse you would be able to do most of often used actions you do/need, be it daily supervising or some other adjustments which don't need server restart. Like removing that scoreboard from use like you mentioned etc.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

disappointed no one has any ideas at all, this subject was given no thought at all in cod5waw and now you will be lucky if there are any servers populated from a game that sold in millions..

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

As has been said already, Maddog, just give us a good list of "rcon" commands and we're more or less sorted.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, WolfEnstein said:

As has been said already, Maddog, just give us a good list of "rcon" commands and we're more or less sorted.

you and  datamursu  are sorta missing the point of this thread, they can give you a list of thousands of rcon commands and it's guaranteed that the actually useful ones will be missing as was the case with WAW...

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

WAW rcon commands were similar to COD2 or COD4. it was not more difficult than other COD to manage a server ingame. (specially to control players or maps)

Ingame Rcon are basicly (example from COD) :

/rcon login [RCONPASSWORD] - Login to remote rcon.
/rcon kick [NAME] - Kicks a player by name from the server.
/rcon kick all - Kicks all players from the server.
/rcon clientkick [ID] - Kicks a player by client id from the server.
/rcon banUser [NAME] - Bans a user by their ingame name.
/rcon banClient [ID] - Bans a user by their client number.
/rcon tempBanUser [NAME] - Kicks and temporarily bans player by name from server.
/rcon tempBanClient [ID] - Kicks and temporarily bans player by client id from server
/rcon unbanuser [NAME] - Unban every player banned with [name].
/rcon map [mapname] - Loads the map specified by mapname.
/rcon map_rotate - Loads next map in rotation set in sv_maprotation.
/rcon map_restart - Reloads the map.
/rcon fast_restart - Restarts the map.
/rcon serverinfo - Shows the current server's settings.
/rcon status - Displays info of all the players on the server.
/rcon say - Post a console message to all players. 

All other Rcon commands (to control map rotation, gametypes settings, scoreboard display, weapons settings ... ) are on servers files.

Even with thousands of command you are always using the sames ingame. Who can do more can do less.
What Devs mustn't forget is to deliver a server admin guide well documented.

1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Quote

you and  datamursu  are sorta missing the point of this thread, they can give you a list of thousands of rcon commands and it's guaranteed that the actually useful ones will be missing as was the case with WAW...

And apparently you are missing the part of my post where I keep pointing that I wouldn't mind of advanced rcon tool where there are more easy-to-use options available for daily/weekly administrative duties. As it would be easy-to-use and there are thousands of rcon commands like you said, there most likely shouldn't be all commands available because it would be easy to mess up if you don't know what you do as I pointed out in first post. Which is also reason why I would prefer console over rcon tool in certain things.

As Soldat Ryan said, you are most likely to use certain commands more often than others which you will remember shortly and If you have even vague idea what you want to do, it is quite easy to find less used commands manually and therefor they probably aren't those included in easy-to-use ones. So what there would be at easy-to-use settings? Most often used commands of course, plus those that may be useful time to time and they could be divided between which need server restart and which not need server restart. Best part would be if you could use it as in game tool without need to alt+tab out of game.

So would you enlighten us what else you would like that rcon tool do?

Edited by Datamursu
added quote from maddog-b
1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Datamursu said:

And apparently you are missing the part of my post where I keep pointing that I wouldn't mind of advanced rcon tool where there are more easy-to-use options available for daily/weekly administrative duties. As it would be easy-to-use and there are thousands of rcon commands like you said, there most likely shouldn't be all commands available because it would be easy to mess up if you don't know what you do as I pointed out in first post. Which is also reason why I would prefer console over rcon tool in certain things.

As Soldat Ryan said, you are most likely to use certain commands more often than others which you will remember shortly and If you have even vague idea what you want to do, it is quite easy to find less used commands manually and therefor they probably aren't those included in easy-to-use ones. So what there would be at easy-to-use settings? Most often used commands of course, plus those that may be useful time to time and they could be divided between which need server restart and which not need server restart. Best part would be if you could use it as in game tool without need to alt+tab out of game.

So would you enlighten us what else you would like that rcon tool do?

Maybe it's a language barrier thing but as I said right at the start rcon tool or console makes no difference to me or to the many other admins, these have all been done before on EVERY fps shooter so I imagine b1944 will be no different there.

The point of this thread was "ideas" for new or essential admin tools that could be or should be done and while you may consider a console essential it most certainly is not, it may prove to you how "hardcore" you are but it not a necessity in anyway shape or form.

Edited by maddog-b
booboo
0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, maddog-b said:

...they can give you a list of thousands of rcon commands and it's guaranteed that the actually useful ones will be missing....

I don't how you can guarantee that this would be the case, bro. It's like you've pre-judged something our Devteam hasn't really mentioned yet. You used the term, "useful ones", in respects to "rcon" commands, so, which ones would you consider to be the most useful to have for server Admins?

I'll list a few of mine, which I use often:

!restartmap

!listplayers

!readcfg

!rcon status (This not only gives you everyone's name and ip address on your server, it also provides you with their "STEAM" ID's)

!rcon map mapname

!restartcampaign

!swap (Swaps each team to the opposite faction, e.g., from Axis to Allies)

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, maddog-b said:

Maybe it's a language barrier thing but as I said right at the start rcon tool or console makes no difference to me or to the many other admins, these have all been done before on EVERY fps shooter so I imagine b1944 will be no different there.

The point of this thread was "ideas" for new or essential admin tools that could be or should be done and while you may consider a console essential it most certainly is not, it may prove to you how "hardcore" you are but it not a necessity in anyway shape or form.

So apart from rcon tool you want another program as admin tools or what? Because that is only choice I could think of anymore. It is beyond me why I couldn't have all this in one easy-to-use rcon tool where most used commands and utilities are behind several clicks, possibly even ingame if possible. If we consider that tool would be easy-to-use it would therefor, as explained, most likely mean that there wouldn't be all commands available because inexperienced user could mess up hardly and that would be bad experience. So using console won't have anything to do with me being "hardcore", it would be just most convenient way to do things which are not included in easy-to-use rcon tool. 

For the note, I call it Rcon tool because as long as I have understood, this potential tool don't have anything to do with server configuration files and therefor even if commands are in easy-to-use format they would essentially be /rcon commands. If it would have access to server configuration files etc. which are not behind then I think admin tool would be more preferable term for it.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, WolfEnstein said:

I don't how you can guarantee that this would be the case, bro. It's like you've pre-judged something our Devteam hasn't really mentioned yet. You used the term, "useful ones", in respects to "rcon" commands, so, which ones would you consider to be the most useful to have for server Admins?

I'll list a few of mine, which I use often:

!restartmap

!listplayers

!readcfg

!rcon status (This not only gives you everyone's name and ip address on your server, it also provides you with their "STEAM" ID's)

!rcon map mapname

!restartcampaign

!swap (Swaps each team to the opposite faction, e.g., from Axis to Allies)

the point of that post of mine was to remove digression from the actual point/topic of this thread and to that end I see no point in responding to your question, available rcon OR tool commands will be dictated by the mechanics and the engine of the game.

-2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎09‎/‎02‎/‎2017 at 7:17 PM, Datamursu said:

And apparently you are missing the part of my post where I keep pointing that I wouldn't mind of advanced rcon tool where there are more easy-to-use options available for daily/weekly administrative duties. As it would be easy-to-use and there are thousands of rcon commands like you said, there most likely shouldn't be all commands available because it would be easy to mess up if you don't know what you do as I pointed out in first post. Which is also reason why I would prefer console over rcon tool in certain things.

As Soldat Ryan said, you are most likely to use certain commands more often than others which you will remember shortly and If you have even vague idea what you want to do, it is quite easy to find less used commands manually and therefor they probably aren't those included in easy-to-use ones. So what there would be at easy-to-use settings? Most often used commands of course, plus those that may be useful time to time and they could be divided between which need server restart and which not need server restart. Best part would be if you could use it as in game tool without need to alt+tab out of game.

So would you enlighten us what else you would like that rcon tool do?

as said many times it makes no difference whether they make an easy to use rcon tool or not, someone else will do it and again you are talking loads about stuff which in 99% probability will happen, there will be a console and there will be a graphic tool, none of which have anything to do with "server admin ideas"

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So what else there is for server admin than these things I have been repeating? I asked already you to enlighten us about what you have in your mind. You talk about removing scoreboards and making it easy for admins to do daily duties so they can play sometimes too, you referred to B3 bot (and rcontool generally) which needs rcon password to command server and keep talking about server administration which need something to get to new level... But what? What this tool should do? What else could make admins life easier than easy-to-use rcontool which can handle variety of daily/weekly actions you would need as admin. There are already commands for nearly everything in older games so why wouldn't there be for Battaltion too? So what could make admins life easier than making it user friendly easy-to-use tool?

I am totally lost how we can give any though for anything when we don't understand what it is we should be giving the though?

2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

... in all case, "rcon tools" (as b3) can't make more/new things than the basic console is doing. B3 (as other rcon tools) "translate" existing basic command by something esle which is more easy-to-use ingame, nothing more.
You won't be able to invent new commands ..... unless to create a mod and usually, mods had their own tool via an ingame menu (it was the case for X4, OW .... on COD)

Maddog-b if your idea is to suggest new commands, it was the root of my own thread i create few month ago. ( I linked it on my 1st answer)
Feel free to suggest yours there but be a little bit more explicit.

 

For Devs (if they are following this thread) :  HERE are the requirements for B3 to be able to work with Battalion1944. :)

Edited by Soldat Ryan
0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0