mazh

Leaning System

Noticed some controversy about the leaning system.
Seems to me the devs want it, but at the same time don't like the idea of allowing campers to just sit there leaning the full round skillessly (is that a word?) waiting for a shot.

Let's help with ideas

A - No leaning!

B - Temporary lean for 2/3 seconds without holding a weapon, just allow for enemy check and grenade throws.

C - Constant lean without holding a weapon, just allow for enemy check and grenade throws.

D - Lean holding a weapon (able to fire), but cancel leaning after 2/3 seconds and unable more leanings for other 2/3 seconds until we are able to repeat

MoHaa leaning was very cool but allowed for a very camping and boring gameplay specially in realism mode

More options!

Edited by mazh

Again, leaning is part of the tactics of war. It made you a smaller target and you are able to engage targets from a position of mostly cover. Leaning must be in the game and is another essential thing in a competitive/tactical shooter.

If you want to restrict it you can make leaning while moving almost impossible to aim down the sights and when you are leaning from a stationary position your rifle sway in slightly increased....although when i do my trainings and lean i have no sway but then again the weapon i was using wasn't as heavy as a solid wood heavy barreled bolt action/semi auto rifle from WW2 lolol So slight increase of sway would be something to make it fair.

3 minutes ago, Nikolumsen said:

I'd hate to be a dick, but isn't it just a continuation of this earlier thread :P 

you are officially a dick.....lolol nah its not really a continuation but more specific topic to a certain character movement.

32 minutes ago, DukeNukem said:

you are officially a dick.....lolol nah its not really a continuation but more specific topic to a certain character movement.

Well, in that case imma be an even bigger dick and give my two cents on the topic ;) I say go for the traditional CoD-lean! How you wanna utilize the lean is up to the individual player. If you're a camper, you'd prolly use it accordingly, but if you're not then you wont. It all comes down to play style. If you're not a camper - let's call it a "moderate player" - it'd be unlikely for you to camp it out leaning around the same corner all the time. And that's the good thing about campers - they camp!, so in most cases you'll be able to predict their play style patterns and counter it, same as you counter aggressive players once you know their patterns.

Personally, I use lean to peek corners for a couple of seconds before I move forward, but, I will admit it, if I'm defending on S&D then yeah, I use leaning to my advantage - i.e. camping a certain passage or doorway - if it means winning the game. You'd might consider that camping, and I wont disagree, but it's just an example of how different gametypes invite different play styles, and, hey, then it's up to the opposing team to counter me to their best ability - usually be wallbanging.

So, I say go for the traditional lean and embrace it in all its beauty!

• Upvote 4

7 minutes ago, Nikolumsen said:

Well, in that case imma be an even bigger dick and give my two cents on the topic ;) I say go for the traditional CoD-lean! How you wanna utilize the lean is up to the individual player. If you're a camper, you'd prolly use it accordingly, but if you're not then you wont. It all comes down to play style. If you're not a camper - let's call it a "moderate player" - it'd be unlikely for you to camp it out leaning around the same corner all the time. And that's the good thing about campers - they camp!, so in most cases you'll be able to predict their play style patterns and counter it, same as you counter aggressive players once you know their patterns.

Personally, I use lean to peek corners for a couple of seconds before I move forward, but, I will admit it, if I'm defending on S&D then yeah, I use leaning to my advantage - i.e. camping a certain passage or doorway - if it means winning the game. You'd might consider that camping, and I wont disagree, but it's just an example of how different gametypes invite different play styles, and, hey, then it's up to the opposing team to counter me to their best ability - usually be wallbanging.

well said :)

On 5.12.2016 at 6:04 PM, Nikolumsen said:

Agreed 100%. Making a 2-3sec lean or no lean can make the game feel clunky. As attacking, you can lean and peak if there's another leaner ahead ;)

• Upvote 1

Gotta agree with the posts above. Leaning has to be in the game, and as with everything people will find a way to use it not as intended, but future patches could address it if needed. Should deffo be built into the game though. 

One thing I hope is not in the game though is "peekers advantage"

• Upvote 2

really can't understand why someone would want to play a ww2 game without the ability to use cover effectively by leaning, if you just want to run around spraying play quake or similar, surely ww2 games are about realism and in real life very few just jumped out round corners in warzones..

On 12/19/2016 at 6:15 AM, DrunkMonk74 said:

Gotta agree with the posts above. Leaning has to be in the game, and as with everything people will find a way to use it not as intended, but future patches could address it if needed. Should deffo be built into the game though. 

One thing I hope is not in the game though is "peekers advantage"

Correct me if i am wrong, but "peeker's advantage" is when the person coming around the corner has like a second or so of vision of what is beyond a corner than someone sitting behind that corner waiting due to "lag" right?

On 5-12-2016 at 4:00 PM, mazh said:

Noticed some controversy about the leaning system.
Seems to me the devs want it, but at the same time don't like the idea of allowing campers to just sit there leaning the full round skillessly (is that a word?) waiting for a shot.

Let's help with ideas

A - No leaning!

B - Temporary lean for 2/3 seconds without holding a weapon, just allow for enemy check and grenade throws.

C - Constant lean without holding a weapon, just allow for enemy check and grenade throws.

D - Lean holding a weapon (able to fire), but cancel leaning after 2/3 seconds and unable more leanings for other 2/3 seconds until we are able to repeat

MoHaa leaning was very cool but allowed for a very camping and boring gameplay specially in realism mode

More options!

None of the options you give are good. There are only 2 viable options really:

1. No leaning at all.

2. Leaning is possible all the time. While running, shooting, etc. 

I would like it if there was no leaning. It often creates certain visual problems, changes the meta of the game,..

• Downvote 1

I think most people would prefer a leaning system like CoD4 / CoD2. CoD4 Promod's leaning system was heavily utilized when peeking corners and stuff.

• Upvote 3

I'd go for D

I've never really thought about it but having a few seconds to lean and shoot would make leaning allot more of a tactical thing that should be done at the right time/situation.

2 minutes ago, EmperorMoth said:

I'd go for D

I've never really thought about it but having a few seconds to lean and shoot would make leaning allot more of a tactical thing that should be done at the right time/situation.

That is way too cluncky.

tbh, what is wrong with just peeking around a corner without leaning? You could shoulder peek to see if someone is there. If you want to peek and shoot you could strafe out, counter strafe and then shoot or you could jiggle shoot next to the wall (a, shoot, d and repeat). There is no need for leaning really.

3 hours ago, DukeNukem said:

Correct me if i am wrong, but "peeker's advantage" is when the person coming around the corner has like a second or so of vision of what is beyond a corner than someone sitting behind that corner waiting due to "lag" right?

Yeah I believe you're right mate. Maybe not the right post for it, but was I was trying to get at is that I hope the lag compensation is looked at. All online games have some sort of lag compensation built in I'm sure, (although I'm by no means an expert), but peekers advantage seems to be worse in some games than others. Most recently for example in R6. I'm just hoping this is something the team are also considering/looking at.

Our leaning system is finished, it feels similar to Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare. Battalion 1944 is pretty fast paced so camping & leaning isn't the most advantageous playstyle, its just annoying really lol, but if people do it, they won't be top fraggers. Battalion like COD2/COD4/ET is a game of choosing when to push and when to wait, not a game where you solely wait.

• Upvote 11

3 hours ago, [DEV] BRAMMERTRON said:

Our leaning system is finished, it feels similar to Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare. Battalion 1944 is pretty fast paced so camping & leaning isn't the most advantageous playstyle, its just annoying really lol, but if people do it, they won't be top fraggers. Battalion like COD2/COD4/ET is a game of choosing when to push and when to wait, not a game where you solely wait.

really glad to hear that!

4 hours ago, [DEV] BRAMMERTRON said:

Now this is encouraging as hell!

11 hours ago, Djoriz said:

How was leaning in COD4, were you able to move around while leaning as well?

I used to love that so much about Medal of Honor!

You could lean and move quite slowly at the same time. Kinda like in CoD2 too, and I feel it's perfect. If u can't lean and move at the same time, it feels really clunky.

On 6-1-2017 at 7:22 PM, [DEV] BRAMMERTRON said:

Interesting;) Can you elaborate further? f.e. can we lean while running and jumping without penalty? That would be good, because leaning won't slow down the game or make it feel cluncky.

17 hours ago, ToonBE said:

Interesting;) Can you elaborate further? f.e. can we lean while running and jumping without penalty? That would be good, because leaning won't slow down the game or make it feel cluncky.

I think jumping should end the lean.

And I think that you shouldn't be able to run and lean at the same time, just lean and move really slowly forward

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, vozER said:

I think jumping should end the lean.

And I think that you shouldn't be able to run and lean at the same time, just lean and move really slowly forward

allthough I can see your point, this would make the movement system really clunky and "broken up into different parts". Sprint fast to a wall, to then stop, press lean and slowly move beside it?

I dunno, we'll have to wait and see. The best way is to test this out by actually playing. its something that can be tweaked easily I think.

The primary thing is movement, and movement needs to fluent. Movement also needs to encourage non-static gameplay. I just feel the more free the movement is, the better it is.

This is the last time that I'll comment on this awful, in-game mechanic, where you can lean and shoot or even lean, move and shoot. I loathe it and view it as something that encourages camping, k/d-whoring and combat cowardice. I will never change my mind on this.

To me, the ability to use such a mechanic will always result in this pathetic spectacle here:

You all really want to see this kind of thing happening in "Battalion"? Not one of these players actually walks upright for more than 1 second at a time, the third person view of this must look insane O.o.

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 1

45 minutes ago, Wolf Enstein said:

This is the last time that I'll comment on this awful, in-game mechanic, where you can lean and shoot or even lean, move and shoot. I loathe it and view it as something that encourages camping, k/d-whoring and combat cowardice. I will never change my mind on this.

To me, the ability to use such a mechanic will always result in this pathetic spectacle here:

You all really want to see this kind of thing happening in "Battalion"? Not one of these players actually walks upright for more than 1 second at a time, the third person view of this must look insane O.o.

No secret that I'm a big MoH:AA fan but this should definitely be a thing of the past.

Having said that, the wobblerunning was no way near as bad at promoting camping as clipping and self speccing. On the plus side, as you only had X amount of time to attack in objective mode, it forced teams to come up with rather creative grenades and strats to break down defenses.