[NGBC]CH_SwissWolf

Slots management - team oriented

Hi all,

Hi DEVs.

Here I'm to put some questions at you mates. At the community as "how do you see" and at DEVs "perhaps already think about it" too ;)

The clans would be able (?) to:

- force a split between team members and visitors? (I mean: set team members all together into a side and visitors into the other one, automatically)

- set "preferencial" slots? The official game mode will be for few peoples... 5 vs 5 or 6 vs 6 (10 or 12 players). This mean that, if a team has good servers, perhaps she will have many visitors... but team members have the rights to go into0 the server.

Well, we can manage the sever (I hope) to remote too, and kick players, but perhaps you can program a "preferencial" set, that can be soft or hard.

Extra Soft: a team member enter as spectator on the full server. Nothing happens until the end of round/match. if no one left the game at the end of the match the system will automatically kick the last logged-in player if he is not a regular.

Soft: a info come out on the screen "a player would be automatically kick to make place to a team member" (and kick the last logged-in player when he die, if he isn't a regular)

Hard: kick the last logged-in player if he isn't a regular.

Teams would be able to upload on server a file with ID of team members as, for example, 1 and regulars as 2.

Regulars would be protected from an auto-kick but, always as example, they can't benefits to an auto-kick to have a slot... team members both can have access and the can't be automatically kicked.

They are just two littles points, to see what do you think.

Cheers

• Upvote 1

We have this on our servers in Wolf ET, Swiss bro. When a server regular who's a player/friend of your Clan, or a Clan member, join your server when it's full, the last player to join the server who is not included in one of those categories is auto-kicked. They will be given a written explanation as to why they were kicked from the server, the message also assures them that they haven't been banned.

A very handy addition to any Clan server config :).

If i m understand well, you want a system that gives one slot to a member of the clan that host the server.

i think your ideas (kick) are a bit rude for players. Kicks must be really exceptionnal (in this case). If you kick always new players, you will never get regulars. 9_9 (specially on little server)

One solution is to be able to set an amount of reserved slots. This way no need to kick someone and there is always a solution for admins to connect in the server if something happens wrong. But this reduce the amount of payer if there is only non-clan players.
In the case, when all reserved slots are full you can kick someone to make a free slot for member. But it must be done only in this case.

• Upvote 1

Well, I totally agree that as explained it wouldn't be absolutely the right/best way, but just a "start of a discussion".

The "critical point" is, surely, the "kick".

The kick would be made only on a full server, and if it is automatic or not (let say that we have a remote control, we still able to kick to make a free slot) I think that the result didn't change.

But I understand that if the last player logged in isn't actually a regular but we have seen him more times that an other one, it would be better kick the other :)

Ah, and don't forget the 'splitting idea' ;)

Agree with Ryan here.

Setting reserved slots is the way to go. A tad more polite than auto kick with a note patched to your butt :D 
In COD the server admin would sometimes politely asks the last non regular player to leave to make room for a clan player, which most of the times just resulted in a kick as well ^^

Using the reserved slots option however, requires an active admin that resets it once clan players left.

Edited by y!NMastah

For us it will be, "auto-kick" FTW!", everytime. It may not be the most "polite" version, but it's the most effective for the benefit of your Clan buddies and Clan members, the folk who pay for the server.

We had reserved slots in our old COD1 server back in the day with our custom made admin tool, worked superb and should not be a problem to implement today :)

In our 24 slot server we reserved 14 slots and only members with the correct tag {UHS} and a GUID number from a preloaded list of all our members got those slots. If I remember correctly another tool we used members could log into the server with a password to use one of the reserved slots, if you didnt have the password you got one of the public slots. If all reserved slots was busy other team members just had to wait for a public slot, no kicking. On dedicated team nights we just passworded all slots :P

@y!NMastah On biggest servers I'll personally prefere a 'reserved-slot-system' too, but Battalion's developers plan to make 5vs5 or 6vs6.

If we hold slots for team we will surely have some moment into the day with 50% of slots free because the team members are away.

Perhaps a time-based reservation system?

During week: each day X reserved slot from 2000 to 2400 (but if the members are away...)

During weekend: all day X reserved slot

Anyway, probably teams with enought active members perhaps wouldn't have public servers 90% of their time, but a little team that is looking for new  members, or just a team that would have some fun to play against "casuals players" would probably have to considering that a good server would probably always be full, but they have team-members that have paid for the server... and I think that some tool to easily manage (from remote aswell).

At the end of discussion, i think that must can depend if the server admin(s) would have a remote control.

If yes, no more problems about 'reserved/auto-kick' systems.

But let say, as example, no.

Well, if your server is always full you will be stuck on the waiting list.

Perhaps you need just 1 reserved slot to be sure that 1 team-member can join the server, but in every team each member is an admin?

But I see unfair to hold just 1 slot, because it would mean that you will risk to have "forced" unbalanced match (4+vacant reserved slot VS 5 or 5 VS 6).

In this way perhaps it would be better have 2 reserved slots? one per side?

For this reason I think that let players come on server without reserved slot would be better (auto-kick or kick by admin still a kick... an admin can choose, this is a difference, but I'm not sure that all members are always admin)

Perhaps a Dev ( @[DEV] BRAMMERTRON or @[DEV] KingHoward ) have already an answer

And for the set to split/force a game Team VS Guest I think I'll make a separate thread :D

Because we have dedicated servers, there is nothing stopping a lot of these features being added into your clan servers. Although these features aren't currently in our build of Battalion 1944, I don't want to say we'll 'never' do it. But it's not currently on the roadmap. 

Instead, we have a party system, that we're trying to make super easy to use.. Very simple, add friends to a group and join servers with friends. I understand how you clan guys need to be able to lock spaces and have reserved slots for your clan mates. I'll have a chat with the design team and the backend programmers and we'll see what we can do.

Thanks for raising this guys, appreciate it.

P.S. You clan guys should be pleased because Howard is currently building our stat tracking system for clans & teams.. IE you can see how your team or clan is rated as a whole :D

Joe

48 minutes ago, [DEV] BRAMMERTRON said:

P.S. You clan guys should be pleased because Howard is currently building our stat tracking system for clans & teams.. IE you can see how your team or clan is rated as a whole :D

Joe

Ohh sweet, good work guys I like this!

And thx for the feedback :)

1 hour ago, [DEV] BRAMMERTRON said:

Instead, we have a party system, that we're trying to make super easy to use.. Very simple, add friends to a group and join servers with friends.

this is being used in moh wf also, it doesnt automatically match you with a friend, but you have the choice . one can also block this option if he is a lone wolf.

works great. downside is that clanmembers are joining up (teamstacking) and are on ventrillo or ts, and thus have the advantage, maybe an idea to prevent this to keep it fair for the non clan players?

2 hours ago, gonzomark43 said:

Works great. downside is that clanmembers are joining up (teamstacking) and are on ventrillo or ts, and thus have the advantage, maybe an idea to prevent this to keep it fair for the non clan players?

Ideally smaller groups will only ever be matched vs other small groups & solo players. The same will happen with full teams of 5, as they will ideally only ever be matched vs other teams of 5. The system will always try and match you like this but after a certain amount of wait time the system will try and get you into a match sooner rather than later, so there will be some rare exceptions to avoid ridiculous wait times.