[DEV] BRAMMERTRON

Loot Crates & Weapon Case drops, what are your thoughts?

mazh    82

I'm sold, great answer.

The confusion here was the link between lootcrates and hosting servers, not future free content. I think it's clarified now.

• Upvote 2

Pte Walker    25

Aye guys sorry if this has been raised before. But looking at other games I like the idea of buying 'cosmetic' faces as well. Would be cool to have Clint Eastwood, Lee Marvin or even the mighty John Wayne as your character. I don't think it would impinge on their rights as it would be cartoon likeness. Or even put your own face in game?e.g

Clint-Eastwood-in-the-Army-92867.jpg

DukeNukem    187
16 minutes ago, Pte Walker said:

Aye guys sorry if this has been raised before. But looking at other games I like the idea of buying 'cosmetic' faces as well. Would be cool to have Clint Eastwood, Lee Marvin or even the mighty John Wayne as your character. I don't think it would impinge on their rights as it would be cartoon likeness. Or even put your own face in game?e.g

I am not sure about the Celebrity faces because you may need permission from the celebrity......not sure how that legal stuff works. Would be cool to have your favorite war actor in the game though lolol

• Upvote 2

Pte Walker    25

I think CGI is drawing, painting or sketching. I wouldn't think it would be a problem? It would be a caricature of a person. Must be someone in the games industry would know. I'd pay for things like that to be added:)

KriZ    1

Alright, signed up just for this. ;-) So hey everyone, and here goes.

I pledged about 18 euro (current rate) for this game. The advertised retail price was said to be 36 euro (current rate). So backing early made sense, at a 50% discount. So I did. Even though I knew this game wouldn't come out for a very, very, very long time.

Now you're talking about lowering the price, to attract more players. Alright, cool, makes sense. But now I feel cheated. So what will the retail price be? 20 euro? Maybe some early access discount dropping it to 15 euro? Who knows!

We paid very early, basically without seeing anything, to get a big discount, and who knows if we will even have been better off than those guys who will just buy the game in early access or even on release? We took a risk backing this game. There's no way we can now now if this game will be good or just absolutely horrible. A 50% discount is worth taking a risk for. But if you lower the price, it was for nothing.

Now, compare that with Day of Infamy. Bought the game for 18 euro (exactly the same as Battalion), BUT I can play it right away. As a matter of fact, I think I'll play a few rounds after finishing this post ;-).

Now on to the loot crates: not a big fan. I don't care too much for visual unlocks though, so it doesn't bother me. As long as it's not too much "in my face", I can live with it. I paid full game, I don't want to see ads in every menu to "get the super holiday package, 5 crates for 5 euro!". Let's see the game we paid for first, then we can talk about expanding.

I honestly don't care about those few euros, but this is a very bad start, and a horrible way to treat the people who made YOUR dream come true!

Edited by KriZ
  • Downvote 1

Farq-S    371
1 hour ago, KriZ said:

Alright, signed up just for this. ;-) So hey everyone, and here goes.But now I feel cheated.

So what will the retail price be? 20 euro? Maybe some early access discount dropping it to 15 euro? Who knows!

A 50% discount is worth taking a risk for. But if you lower the price, it was for nothing.

I honestly don't care about those few euros, but this is a very bad start, and a horrible way to treat the people who made YOUR dream come true!

WOW!

RLpacifist    71
16 hours ago, KriZ said:

But if you lower the price, it was for nothing.

Bulkhead is aware of concerns like this obviously and already stated (latest kickstarter update) they will come up with something to reward backers in this regard. Despite us not knowing what this will be, I hope this information might ease the bad feelings for now.

However, backing a kickstarter project isn't an actual purchase after all. It always leaves you with the risk of receiving nothing for your pledge. That's the whole deal actually; enthusiasts taking a risk financing someone, in hopes those are getting something done , they would like to have.

If your mere intention was to get the game a little cheaper, kickstarter definitely was the wrong place to go. If that was the case, you rather should have waited for the game to be realsed and discounted eventually.

Edited by RLpacifist

KriZ    1

I gladly backed the project, to support the game. The idea of the game looked cool. But as you say there is a risk: you don't know how the game will turn out.

But you support the game by buying it. It's not just a donation. It's a purchase. And if the developers tell me that by backing their project early, they will reward me with a 50% discount, I expect that to be true.

If not, I feel it's a big slap in the face of those early backers.

I've been thinking more about the loot crate idea today. And honestly I find it a bit absurd. If they finished and delivered the game first, and THEN find new ways to finance extra content, that would be absolutely no problem. Like hey, here's the game you paid for, enjoy it! We're going to add some new maps and weapons soon, so we'll need some extra money. So we will sell extra styles and patterns and whatever to those who want them. Cool! Absolutely no problem with this approach. But finish the game first, before you start to finance future content.

ToonBE    257

Hi,

I played MOH on clanbase for years and atm I am an avid CSGO player ranked Legendary Eagle Master after only 510 hours of game time.

As for the price of the game. I would pay 50 euro upon release. But then again, I don't care that much about price (I bought Alpha Access already). Other people would care however, so a lower price would attract more players.

As for continued funding of the game to support further development and updates creates are good. Just do what CSGO is doing. Cosmetic stuff to be bought, either buy opening cases with keys or buy just buying the skins you want from the marketplace.

As far is cosmetics go. You say "WE WILL NOT BE CREATING BRIGHT PINK STRIPEY WEAPONS". My anserw is: WHY NOT??!! To be honest with you.... I would not get excited for cosmetics that introduce a different kind of wood on my gun or would give me a different type of gunmodel, at all. You should seriously reconsider this. I would actually pay 30 euro's just to have a funky looking thompson. Just copy what CSGO is doing.

IMPORTANT: for a cosmetics system to work the following is essential. Other players need to say how rare or special your skin is. This requires 2 things: the skin must be visible in 3rd person AND in 1st person. I mean this: when I look at a model in game who has an awesome thompson skin I need to say that he is holding that awesome thompson. When he dies he needs to drop his gun so I can pick it up and use and SEE it for myself.

IMPORTANT: don't let the player base get frustrated by RNG. If someone wants a skin he should be able to just buy it. There need to be 3 ways to get cosmetics: 1. play get drops and get lucky 2. open cases with bought keys 3. just buy the skin from the marketplace.

IMPORTANT: as I stated before: the cosmetics need to be exciting! please don't hold true to "historicaly correct" cosmetics. That will just be plain boring.

OFF TOPIC: game visivility is very important. I don't want smoke and all these effects. Clean looking graphics is what I am after.

• Downvote 3

BlueSmiley    65
On 28-12-2016 at 5:06 PM, ToonBE said:

As far is cosmetics go. You say "WE WILL NOT BE CREATING BRIGHT PINK STRIPEY WEAPONS". My anserw is: WHY NOT??!! To be honest with you.... I would not get excited for cosmetics that introduce a different kind of wood on my gun or would give me a different type of gunmodel, at all. You should seriously reconsider this. I would actually pay 30 euro's just to have a funky looking thompson. Just copy what CSGO is doing.

:shock::lol: C'mon dude... 

Allison_Lee    40
On ‎11‎/‎8‎/‎2016 at 9:55 AM, KeepingThingsClear said:

Hey! As long as items placed in those drops arent gameplay changing and i can unlock while playing the actual game,i dont have a problem and i think its a good  thing that you use that money to support the servers runnng normally or work on giving more variety to the game, your work an time on this game is well apreciated by us ,over.:ph34r:

it might affect gameplay because the Thompson can house a 30 round mag or a 50 round drum magazine so I think it will affect it sadly

• Downvote 3

On 30/12/2016 at 7:13 PM, EthanFong said:

it might affect gameplay because the Thompson can house a 30 round mag or a 50 round drum magazine so I think it will affect it sadly

We will NEVER implement gameplay changing unlocks. We've said that since day 1 :)

• Upvote 6

sh0tyz    131
On 12/30/2016 at 1:13 PM, EthanFong said:

it wont affect. its strictly cosmetic. 

DEMZZ    12

I'm all for it.

Pros:

Can potentially make the game cheaper and can be put on sale for a larger player base.

Can disposable income for making the game better, more content and increase longevity of the game.

Provide options / crates for tournament prize pools etc. similar to what Valve does for competitions.

Can fund more support for anti-cheat as well referring to the main downside of making the game cheaper / more affordable for players.

Cons:

Cheaper game, easier to cheat and re-purchase the game.

Can deter anti-microtransaction-gamers (if they don't know how to read / research lol)

• Upvote 1

Razor    374
On 1/1/2017 at 8:16 PM, [DEV] KingHoward said:

We will NEVER implement gameplay changing unlocks. We've said that since day 1 :)

And thank god for that, one of the most frustrating things about BF are all the unlocks! Now a days I don't have time to play a lot and as a consequense I'm still basically standard equipped for combat and all my friends are armed to the teeth. No need to say I don't have a chanse in hell to compete with them only with my skills aiming and shooting.

Give me a game where I can compete with anyone regardless of how many hours they have played

• Upvote 1

ElDoggo    2

Two things: 

1. I'd love to see this as a feature. I was hoping it would be a feature. 

2. I frickin love you guys. Do you know how many developers would go for the cash-cab route and make it pay to win. Thanks for being a legit company that gives hope to the future of gaming.

• Upvote 1

Scarps    10
On 11/8/2016 at 9:33 AM, [DEV] BRAMMERTRON said:

Hey guys, myself and @[DEV] KingHoward would be really interested to hear what you guys think about Loot Crates & Weapon Cases.

So we're thinking about the long term sustainability of the game and trying to keep the experience not only continuing but growing. Running servers, ranking systems, match making (yes you can still have dedicated servers), and other systems in the game, costs thousands of pounds/dollars per month. This is something we've always been planning for, but it's something we're actively trying to find a solution to. We're also looking at how we can price the game, a lot of people have an issue with paying £29.99/£39.99/£49.99 for the early access/beta/alpha version of a game made by independent developers. Despite the size of our studio having absolutely nothing to do with the quality of our game, we acknowledge that some people have had an issue with it; that said, none of them are here because you guys all clearly see the value in Battalion!

Loot Crates and Weapon Cases can be accessed in two ways, when you rank up we will give you a free drop, but you will also be able to purchase extra cases and crates for around £1-£1.50 / $1-1.50. 
This is an optional part of the game, you can still enjoy the classic shooter style and feel, you can still enjoy the old school style and you can still play the game to its full potential without engaging in weapon drops. You could potentially, get every single unlock without ever spending money. To get every single one it would take a lot of time, but you don't have to ever spend money on this if you don't feel it's justified. This is something we feel is important.

It's important that you read this next bit: 
We have absolutely no intentions of making anything like this a requirement, we 110% will NOT be introducing any gameplay changing items that you can unlock in the game. The money from these crates and cases goes towards running the servers and costs of the game. 
WE WILL NOT BE CREATING BRIGHT PINK STRIPEY WEAPONS. 

Even though you can buy loot crates, you will have to continue playing for your weapons and equipment to wear as part of the 'War Torn System'. 

Example: There are about 3 different types of Thompson that look similar, have the same ADS, and have a similar silhouette. You would be able to unlock different variants of the Thompson without any of the gameplay side changing. 

For many people, myself and Howard included, crates and customisation gives us a reason to continue playing the game. From a Battalion stand point, every time we introduce a new faction we can introduce new customisation sets such as a different type of helmet of a melee weapon like brass knuckles. It gives players individuality and a reason to continue trying to grind up through the ranks of the game.

The gameplay is totally unaffected by this, but we wanted to know your thoughts before we made any concrete steps towards putting this in Battalion 1944. 

We more on board with modding than ever, we are looking into esports heavily, and we are looking at ways to give Battalion a long life. Battalion is an old school shooter, not a WW2 shooter, so we're trying to keep to our old school roots and blend it with the things that work in modern shooters.

Let us know what you think and keep an open mind. We'll be reading all the comments here, provided they're civil and written well! We want to know exactly why you don't like or why you do like something :D!

Community, GO!

Would the different variations of the weapons have different iron sights? (Example: the Thompson M1A1 vs the Thompson M1927)

Farq-S    371
11 hours ago, Scarps said:

Would the different variations of the weapons have different iron sights? (Example: the Thompson M1A1 vs the Thompson M1927)

no, ALL weapon variants would be purely cosmetic. no extended mags or new barrels to extend the guns range or anything else that would improve the performance of the weapon so if there were different iron sights they would give no statistical or tactical advantage over the standard weapon.

• Upvote 2

Farq-S    371
9 minutes ago, WackoDaSniper said:

I just hope those who buy a $5 loot box pack won't be able to get the same goodies I spent 50 hours grinding for. 

i respectfully disagree. people who pay hard cash should have access to the same loot, mostly. but saying that, i do hope the devs put a few items of loot in the game that can only be earned through grinding or the loot is marked in a way that players can tell in-game if it's bought or earned.

Edited by Farq-S
  • Upvote 2