[DEV] BRAMMERTRON

Loot Crates & Weapon Case drops, what are your thoughts?

117 posts in this topic

Hey guys, myself and @[DEV] KingHoward would be really interested to hear what you guys think about Loot Crates & Weapon Cases.

So we're thinking about the long term sustainability of the game and trying to keep the experience not only continuing but growing. Running servers, ranking systems, match making (yes you can still have dedicated servers), and other systems in the game, costs thousands of pounds/dollars per month. This is something we've always been planning for, but it's something we're actively trying to find a solution to. We're also looking at how we can price the game, a lot of people have an issue with paying £29.99/£39.99/£49.99 for the early access/beta/alpha version of a game made by independent developers. Despite the size of our studio having absolutely nothing to do with the quality of our game, we acknowledge that some people have had an issue with it; that said, none of them are here because you guys all clearly see the value in Battalion!

Loot Crates and Weapon Cases can be accessed in two ways, when you rank up we will give you a free drop, but you will also be able to purchase extra cases and crates for around £1-£1.50 / $1-1.50. 
This is an optional part of the game, you can still enjoy the classic shooter style and feel, you can still enjoy the old school style and you can still play the game to its full potential without engaging in weapon drops. You could potentially, get every single unlock without ever spending money. To get every single one it would take a lot of time, but you don't have to ever spend money on this if you don't feel it's justified. This is something we feel is important.

It's important that you read this next bit: 
We have absolutely no intentions of making anything like this a requirement, we 110% will NOT be introducing any gameplay changing items that you can unlock in the game. The money from these crates and cases goes towards running the servers and costs of the game. 
WE WILL NOT BE CREATING BRIGHT PINK STRIPEY WEAPONS. 

Even though you can buy loot crates, you will have to continue playing for your weapons and equipment to wear as part of the 'War Torn System'. 

Example: There are about 3 different types of Thompson that look similar, have the same ADS, and have a similar silhouette. You would be able to unlock different variants of the Thompson without any of the gameplay side changing. 

For many people, myself and Howard included, crates and customisation gives us a reason to continue playing the game. From a Battalion stand point, every time we introduce a new faction we can introduce new customisation sets such as a different type of helmet of a melee weapon like brass knuckles. It gives players individuality and a reason to continue trying to grind up through the ranks of the game.

The gameplay is totally unaffected by this, but we wanted to know your thoughts before we made any concrete steps towards putting this in Battalion 1944. 

We more on board with modding than ever, we are looking into esports heavily, and we are looking at ways to give Battalion a long life. Battalion is an old school shooter, not a WW2 shooter, so we're trying to keep to our old school roots and blend it with the things that work in modern shooters.

Let us know what you think and keep an open mind. We'll be reading all the comments here, provided they're civil and written well! We want to know exactly why you don't like or why you do like something :D!

Community, GO!

This sounds awesome! But what if you carried a more historical type where for instance on the day of D-Day you made a limited edition crate that consists of special D-Day things. Or for the day of battle of the Bulge you did a special crate with items that was in it? It wouldn't only reward the player, but also bring in really cool WW2 facts and etc! 

Hey! As long as items placed in those drops arent gameplay changing and i can unlock while playing the actual game,i dont have a problem and i think its a good  thing that you use that money to support the servers runnng normally or work on giving more variety to the game, your work an time on this game is well apreciated by us ,over.:ph34r:

As long as the rewards don't affect gameplay I would personally be fine with it. I do like the idea Logan put forward about special crates. I would love to see themed boxes dropped around the dates of famous battles. If you need ideas for crate contents I think uniforms/gun "skins/character voice packs would be cool/game music? I also really like the little trinket system in Rainbow 6 siege where you can hang little key chain things from weapons.

6 minutes ago, Coombsyboy said:

As long as the rewards don't affect gameplay I would personally be fine with it. I do like the idea Logan put forward about special crates. I would love to see themed boxes dropped around the dates of famous battles. If you need ideas for crate contents I think uniforms/gun "skins/character voice packs would be cool/game music? I also really like the little trinket system in Rainbow 6 siege where you can hang little key chain things from weapons.

Yea, I just posted my idea of Chants if you want to check it out. I seen you said voice packs and maybe there is more people wanting it than I thought lol! 

I've always wished that games would include variations of each weapon (cosmetic) - since most weapons in games have many different versions in real life that aren't represented in game. It would be awesome if you included this in the game via crates, and maybe also challenges. You mentioned something that sounded like this with the Thompson. Basically, as well as adding skins that change the metal/wood colour and stuff, also add skins that change the actual gun itself (different iron sights, etc). I have no problem with RNG crates, as long as they don't affect the actual gameplay.

Personally, I like the way Blizzard have approached loot crates offering skins and other such cosmetics that would take longer to earn - plus the thematic loot boxes - for instance the Summer Games set. I'd be fine with B44 adding these in as long as they offered no gameplay changes / advantages.

You could have a set of cosmetic items that could only be unlocked through loot crates - like community creations or suggestions for instance. 

Logan's idea for historical drops is also a great one -  you could include special unit patches etc. 

Edited by KingWzrdd

as long as anything you unlock is only cosmetics and does not affect the gameplay its a great solution for keeping servers and such running.

Honestly have no problem with them in game as an option however I DO have a problem with my YouTube being spammed with unboxing videos.

As long as nobody starts unboxing videos I don't care.

Will say though that I am curious to know if we were to design our own stuff, engravings etc (if yous are still going ahead with that), would we have to pay for our own designs?

If so I wouldn't mind that (personally, can't speak for everyone) because, it helps you lot out.

Personally, having fun to play is an enough reason to continue playing the game. ^^

Now if Loot Crates & Weapon Cases help you to run servers for the game, it's also an enough reason to introduce it in the game.

Like you said, you'll not introduce any gameplay changing items and any player can unlock this content without ever spending money. So it's fine for me.

In long term, if team have enough time and money, you could also introduce (I think it exists for other games on Unreal Engine Maketplace) a system where battalion community can create and share game items (crate for example). If battalion community and you vote for it, it can be introduce in the game. People could pay for the item to support the game and the creator rather than waiting to win it in the game. The money could be share between creator of the item and you for running servers or tournaments cash price.

1 hour ago, LoganHansford1944 said:

This sounds awesome! But what if you carried a more historical type where for instance on the day of D-Day you made a limited edition crate that consists of special D-Day things. Or for the day of battle of the Bulge you did a special crate with items that was in it? It wouldn't only reward the player, but also bring in really cool WW2 facts and etc! 

It's a good idea, if we can win the crate during an event on more than one day (example : play 5 games between nov 7th and nov 13th to win the special crate). After the event, the special crate could be add in the Loot Crates system (to buy it or to win it). I like the idea that a veteran who plays every day and a beginner can access to the same content without spending money.

Edited by Mithiriath

2 hours ago, [DEV] BRAMMERTRON said:

We're also looking at how we can price the game, a lot of people have an issue with paying £29.99/£39.99/£49.99 for the early access/beta/alpha version of a game made by independent developers.

So is the plan to decrease the price if you implement weapon cases? 30 pounds is a mighty entry barrier for a competitive game and also not the best way to keep the money flowing long term. 10-15 pounds + cosmetics is what i think is ideal for a competitive game, enough of a barrier to keep cheaters and smurfs somewhat in check and low enough to allow pretty much anyone to pick up the game. CS:GO wouldn't be anywhere close to where it is now without their business model.

2 hours ago, [DEV] BRAMMERTRON said:

You could potentially, get every single unlock without ever spending money. To get every single one it would take a lot of time, but you don't have to ever spend money on this if you don't feel it's justified. This is something we feel is important.

This would quite frankly ruin the value any skin could possibly have, provided you intend to implement a marketplace. As long as an item has purely cosmetic value there's nothing wrong with hiding it behind a pay wall, especially when it allows you to offer the game at a lower price and fund prizes for competitions, free updates, etc.. Having the skins be tradable is integral as well, people are far more likely to spend money on vanity items if they have a chance to either gain value or at least get some of their money back.

As long as these drops are not something we must pay to open, then im all for it. Throw a million of them in the game, keep us comin back, keep adding things, and i am sure there will be activity for time to come.

No.this isn't a free to play game. DONT use the free to play model. we don't need another Overwatch Loot crate opening game. I'll go ahead and be the punching bag for the other side of the argument. If you need money to run the server and do basic things to run the game, then your taking the wrong route obviously the kickstarter wasn't enough for you. Customization's must be unlockable for free ONLY. No exceptions this is where you guys begin to turn a bit shady. I don't want to seem like the bad guy here and say your all scamming us (or whatever ridiculous accusation). But this seems ridiculous.  

Now you can look at this as new items and a cool move to get more stuff. But little Items and customization won't keep us coming back if the game isn't good. This seems like something you should be asking us when the game is near completion or is complete. Go back to developing the game please you already took our money. Stop begging for more.

(Queue incoming enemy fire)

" The money from these crates and cases goes towards running the servers and costs of the game. "

Edited by ZachGamr

Yea

I don't mind, if it helps the game it's totally alright. 

Just please no duplicates...

Edited by Legsik

@ZachGamr No one took you're money or begged for any in the first place. It was your own decision to back the game. 

But I can see what you mean. Putting the time and effort into getting those red tiger and gold camoes in the earlier CoDs made it much more rewarding when you'd finally unlock them and it gave the player a sense of motivation - something to achieve. That being said I wouldn't mind if the loot crates worked to gradually implement new items to the game.

Edited by Nikolumsen

Personnaly i don't like the idea to pay again for something that i bought yet (even little cost), that is one of reason i stopped to play COD and BF. But this is my mindset.

But if a game is good enough, i m able to spend a little bit more cash occasionally. This is what i m doing since 3 years with Arma3. That said nowadays  I do not play any other game except COD4 (with my teammates) for which I paid 50 € only (if i m right), almost 10 years ago.

4 hours ago, [DEV] BRAMMERTRON said:

....we acknowledge that some people have had an issue with it;

Ignore them. People complaining about the price of Battalion are the same guys spending every years 70€ to play each BF and/or COD.
They will buy Battalion, if the game is good enough and if our feedbacks are positive. :P
Other thing, have you set the price of the game for the release ? (after Steam early access) It should be cheaper than current prices defined. No ? So they should be happy and will buy the game anyway if they are really interested.

You could potentially, get every single unlock without ever spending money. To get every single one it would take a lot of time, but you don't have to ever spend money on this if you don't feel it's justified.

Are you sure that is the appropriate economic model ? Are you sure that players will pay to get faster cosmetics that everone is able to win with time for free ? I have less doubt on the fact that some players will cheat to unlock everything faster.

You are looking for funds for dedicated servers, why not looking for partnership with dedicated server providers ? (you may be did it yet) I m not talking about servers games providers (multiplay, gameservers, ...) but real dedicated server providers with their own network (french examples : OVH, Online ...)

..... you will also be able to purchase extra cases and crates for around £1-£1.50 / $1-1.50. 

By the way, if there is no other solution, the Longanhansford1944's idea is good enough. Put some items dedicated at one event in the same box, for a really lower price, why not, that doesn't mean i will buy them.

-------

Don't foget this, if a game is good enough, if players have fun to play it, if the community around the game is strong enough and modder/mappers enough prolifics, the game will meet the success.
You want to make Battalion the successor of old games, as COD2, if Battalion is only at the same level of COD2, potentially you should be able to reach 5.9 millions unit sold (IGN source) ... minimum ! 9_9;) (now make the math with the final game price ! :P )
No need little transactions that were not planned when you did the kickstarter campaign - It was one of huge good point in the campaign details.

Like the idea as long as others have said it doesn't give an unfair advantage. Or there will be the obligatory pay to win comments. I play Elite Dangerous which offers paint schemes for ships and have quite happily purchased several myself. I see it as a way to freshen up my game and help the development and running with my purchases. I'm not sure I would like to pay for a mystery box though not knowing what was in it. Myself personally I prefer to know what I'm buying.

I don't mind, I actually like cosmetics since like you said it gives a reason to keep playing. But on a side note if you guys add it you should implement an option that would globally disable all the skins. So if someone wants to play just the base game without all the skins they can.

4 hours ago, ZachGamr said:

No.this isn't a free to play game. DONT use [...]

I have to agree with his whole reply.

Would not mind this at all if it is kept strictly to non-gameplay changing cosmetics only. I would suggest adding a store that also sells the cosmetics individually to allow people to buy what they want instead of having to roll the dice for everything. This could be done with an in-game credit system that rewards players credits based on time/performance in matches and also allow people to purchase these credits with real money.

Personally I'm totally against this system, even if I admit to like the customisation.

I've never bought game items with real money (I prefere make donations if I think that the game/server/... is good).

Why?

For a simple reason:

- it give me more fun earn them that buy them (and... If you buy all items what would you make than? Probably play a little bit and than go away)

If you would make crates (even as reward for ranking, like Overwatch), please make just sure to avoid duplicity.

And if you make some "special events crates", be sure that players will obtain the special items.

Personally, if I see to many double items, especially if obtained from a "special-event-crate", I see only a single aspect: the devs would force players to buy.

And let me say that, honestly, I hate this sensation.

On an other point of view, I think that many person are egoistic and they prefere give money for skin thinking that's "for them" (oh... look my new pretty cool skin guys!!) than make a donation... doesn't matter if the money would be used for the same ground reason.

Well: until what you can buy can be found in game I'll say doesn't really matter for me, but if you will have chance to "obtain" some new financial support from me, put a transparent donation bar on the website.

I mean: our monthly cost are X (perhaps a link to a table with a detailed specification of each single economic voice) - with your help we cover Y%

Make perhaps some cool stuff as T-Shirts or similar (don't know if it would really work but try to make some pools to have an idea... who know) to sell.

My littles two cents

Here's a bit of an interesting stat for you guys, 

If 100,000 people bought the game day 1 and 100,000 played the game every day for 1 year, we wouldn't be able to keep the servers, ranking systems, and match making going for that year! 
Players don't release how expensive games are. There is no problem here, we have everything covered, but this makes it a lot easier to manage and helps with the longevity of Battalion. 

Few things. I don't believe having some fluff skins in crates is at all shady and is a perfectly reasonable revenue stream, with several ifs and buts.

If you implement these crates, with skins that don't affect gameplay....FOR THE LOVE OF GOD DON'T MAKE TIMED EXCLUSIVE EVENTS LIKE OVERWATCH!!!!!! Ahem. So frustrating they way they have done their timed events such as the summer games/halloween. It feels like they are pushing you towards buying boxes if you really like a skin because the success rate in their boxes hasn't been great for me in terms of getting something I actually want. Whilst I wouldn't consider buying boxes due to the horrific amounts of RNG and the crappy duplicate system involved in OW, I hear of people who cave in and buy 50 when an event rolls out because they feel that's the only way they will get what they want. 

Also, the price must be right. The price of one box can't be too much so that it's seen as though it's pushing you towards the 'discounted' bundles. The £1-£1.50 that you suggest seems a decent place to start, perhaps with 'older' boxes lowering in price after 6 months when new ones come in.

A question I have is...and I know this is a long way down the road and it depends on so many variables but would any proceeds from these boxes contribute towards potentially lowering DLC costs? We all know the age old problem of splitting the playerbase with DLC. If this was successful enough, could that see us get lower priced DLCs to help keep the playerbase together as much as possible? I understand that you wouldn't be able to give DLC away for free simply off of these box sales, unless they were massively popular beyond all forecasts but anything that helps lessen the segregation of a playerbase is also a good thing for me.

If it is a system that allows the chance for duplicates in place, please allow us to scrap them like in OW/BF1 so that we can put that towards acquiring a skin we like somehow, but not at such a slow trickle like in OW. 

@ZachGamr - No punching involved B|. I understand your concerns but if you don't think they need to have an economical forecast and plan of how they are going to keep the game going for the long term in place at this stage then that is a very naive stance. That's like opening a shop and buying in a load of stock and not worrying about how you are going to actually sell it so that you can keep the shop running beyond the first week. This is also not begging, Joe's floating a suggestion for feedback.

Also, this doesn't detract from the fact they want a quality, polished game at release. We all know they want that - but they want it running in the long term. Not shut down after 12 months because they can't keep the servers running...

1 hour ago, Freakshow said:

@ZachGamr - No punching involved B|. I understand your concerns but if you don't think they need to have an economical forecast and plan of how they are going to keep the game going for the long term in place at this stage then that is a very naive stance. That's like opening a shop and buying in a load of stock and not worrying about how you are going to actually sell it so that you can keep the shop running beyond the first week. This is also not begging, Joe's floating a suggestion for feedback.

Thanks Freakshow, apparently this needed explaining. Appreciate you stepping in and speaking sense.. common sense.

I skipped some of the reactions and focussed on the OP.

First off all:
What costs of keeping servers running do you mean? Aren't clans renting/hosting their own servers then? Thus being responsible for those costs? Same with TS and Vent?As far as i can see the cost for BH would be limited to a single server running the BattleRank competition, which in its turn can be supported in costs by placing adds on them and perhaps donations?

Second: why thinking about growing a single title called Battalion 1944? Why not turning the name of the game to a Franchise called Battalion and name the first edition: <something> 1944 and second and more editions with new names under de same series/franchise? Like GTA was a game on itself but later on GTA became GTA franchise with Vice City, Liberty City, SA as subtitles..

third: i'm not really fond of grind walls and in all honesty i do not think the originally targeted audience (OLD school FPS gamers from MoH, COD era) is fond of it either. I think they will rather spend 30/40/50 bucks on a complete game with everything in it rather than seeing grind walls in the game that is absolutely nothing like any old school game as we remember it.

Please, keep it real! consider using Battalion as a franchise / series brand and come up with a subtitle. Next title could focus more on pacific theater, North Africa or Russian campaign (something like: Battalion: Scorched Earth (stolen from Panzer General). 

GL