Farq-S

Battlefield 1 is frickin' amazing!

had my reservations about this game but couldn't resist buying it the day after launch. in short, it's bloody good. the gunplay feels fluid, weighty and rewarding and there are too many good things to say about every area of the game. my biggest fear was the game's performance but so far its been excellent. if Bat44 can be half as good as BF1 then we're onto a winner.

Friend and former clan mate of mine is rocking with a scoped rifle on that game and posting stuff on youtube. Sure, gameplay looks fluid and all but to me they overreacted with too many things that it takes away any WW1 atmosphere it aimed for. 

Tanks drive around on crazy speeds, 1 on 3 is running around with a grade A scoped rifle as if it come straight from the 21st century, bayonet attacks go paired with COD:MW alike dash/warp attack motions but then two times faster and whats up with those flamethrowers? Quite frankly i do not get the choice of trying to create a MMO FPS game in a WW1 setting which was originally 99% trench warfare and nothing more than massive artillery attacks followed by waves of infantry running from one side to the other. To make it interesting for online gameplay they just had to let go off so many things that were so typical for the WW1 era...that it actually lost any WW1, heck even WW2 atmosphere. Looks and feel more like some war game in fictional setting to me really :)

with respect, NMastah, BF1 very much has the right atmosphere for its era. true, they had to make compromises for the sake of gameplay but the uniforms, maps and landscapes and sounds are all very much WW1. i'm assuming you haven't actually played the game because playing it definitely gives no hint of the 21st century. it may not be realistic but its definitely immersive.

20 minutes ago, Farq-S said:

with respect, NMastah, BF1 very much has the right atmosphere for its era. true, they had to make compromises for the sake of gameplay but the uniforms, maps and landscapes and sounds are all very much WW1. i'm assuming you haven't actually played the game because playing it definitely gives no hint of the 21st century. it may not be realistic but its definitely immersive.

No worries. Each has his/her own opinion. Glad you like the game.

How about the Air to Ground missiles on planes, massive Zeppelin gunships, easy to steer and high speed tanks (fact: Germany barely fielded ANY tank during WW1, instead they focused on development of AT guns)? I have seen enough (live) footage to get an idea of the ingame gameplay that i do not have to actually own a copy and push a few buttons to get the same idea ;)

The prototype assault rifles, medics able to revive the dead and so on? Besides, the game lacks any competitive element other than playing with randoms on a massive server where everybody is just horsing around not really caring about team play but personal stats and playing as lone wolfs.

Besides, i am no fan of EA at all. Most of the game is actually DLC as well which is just pure thievery.

Anyways, I'm more the 5v5 clan fight type of player in games where visuals are less important than challenging game- and teamplay, where skills make a difference other than who has the biggest gun :) That is why i'm so looking forward to Battalion1944.

But enjoy the game mate. Be sure you make it back in here on time

off: that model on the casing, what is he supposed to be? Some sort of Usher meets the Elder Scrolls meets Zorro? He doesn't even know how to aim down the sight of that pistol. Makes me laugh each time i see it  hehe.

Edited by y!NMastah
  • Upvote 2

of course you're entitled to your opinion which i'm not trying to change but my guess is Bat44 gameplay will be closer to BF1 than a hardcore, competitive shooter. 

3 minutes ago, Farq-S said:

of course you're entitled to your opinion which i'm not trying to change but my guess is Bat44 gameplay will be closer to BF1 than a hardcore, competitive shooter. 

You for real mate? Didn't you watch the KickStarter promo video then, in which they actually said that with Battalion1944 they wanted to go back to what FPS games used to be? Which is, the exact opposite from the mindless shooters such as COD 10000 AD or Battlefield futuristic warfare?

Man it gives me the shivers imagining Battalion1944 with so much HUD clutter as in BF1 with score XP counters, and medal achievement messages spamming your screen and blocking the view non stop. All while seeing players doing insane stunt jumps as if wearing EXO suits. Aaaaaarghhh!! :) 

Personally, I have my foot in both camps here. I have not played it but I have watched video and talked to Youtubers and people who have.

I agree with @y!NMastah that in some area's it is stupidly unrealistic.. E.g. the prevalence of Semi automatic rifles and machine guns but if you research it, most were prototype weapons that did work but were just unsuitable for trench warfare due to unreliability. So for that reason I can forgive them. Also all the weapons look pretty awesome so that helps them a little ;)

However Battlefield is not meant to be a "realistic" game in terms of gameplay. A medic reviving players is a core staple of the Battlefield series and adds another layer of teamwork to the game aswell as keeping the fun going for the player who doesn't have to respawn miles away. Play Squad, Arma or Project Reality, You can revive in most of those and they're almost Mil Sims. 

I agree with @Farq-S that it looks and sounds awesome! But the point of Battlefield is to create and attractive and fun atmosphere. It's not competitive or an Esport. This is why we as a studio aren't as interested as people think we might be. The gameplay itself might be spammy and semi skill-less at times but that's BF1 for ya! 

Edited by [CM] BigTuna

the economic realities of gaming today is games have to appeal to the more casual gamer. not just to be a success but to simply survive. one word that's been repeatedly used in reference to Bat44 from the start is fun. by sheer weight of numbers more people find fun in games like BF1 than more hardcore shooters. personally, i'm equally happy playing both. btw, the entire HUD can be turned off in BF1.

Edited by Farq-S

4 hours ago, Farq-S said:

the economic realities of gaming today is games have to appeal to the more casual gamer. ...

Oh well... I don't really feel like starting off a discussion on this one and I do get what you are pointing out here, but no, it is not that easy.

Uniqueness, quality, passion, innovation and fair customer-relations will allow studios not only to survive, but even to earn their share. Nobody says it was easy, but sure it is not impossible to sell reasonable quantities even in a niche-market.

The sad thing is, the more people accept the mainstream-dumb-down to be a natural rule to take place, the more dumb-down-scrap we're going to receive from the studios. Demand quality and you'll get quality in the long run. Keep throwing your money at them for less and less is it what you get. I mean, nobody knows how successfull the game would have been, if it wasn't that fast paced and more team oriented, for example.

However, I don't mean to spoil the fun for anyone enjoying BF1. If people will still be that much excited in six months* I might even give it a try.

* Current players total: BF:Hardline 11,6 k (released 03/2015), Battlefront 23,4 k (released 11/2015)

Edited by RLpacifist
  • Upvote 2

havent played it and probably won't. for me the fun is over as soon as there are attack boats and all that kind of nonsense. consider me a purist regarding fps shooters, wich is why i will stay under my rock till this game comes out and keep playing moh warfighter till then. but for the ones liking this game, have fun

Agree with RLpacifist here.

Simply accepting that games need to attract massive amounts of players to be of any interest to the outside world is exactly where it went wrong. It all started with 2 publishers (Activision, EA) that happened to have major succes with, exactly, 2 games where gameplay ruled the scene (COD2, BF2) instead of fancy graphics, perks, combo's and all the stuff you see in games today. This in return made them see dollar signs and deterioration of the gaming industry was kickstarted.

Now the time has come that more and more gamers starting to complain about the repetitiveness of most new games out there; it has been literally said a zillion times that most games just seem to be an' existing game with a new skin' and they get bored with the game after 6 months or so already. Of course, the big studios forked enough money in that time to do it just over again so they see no reason to alter their development cycles.

Exactly here is where i think BH's chances are: trying to bring a game that stuns everyone when it comes down to level of gameplay, replayability but also simplicity. This in the end will result in one of the most important factors for people to stick around: fun. They do not need (nor have the finances) to reach out to the same targeted audience as EA or Activision do to make Battalion1944 a succes. Their strength would/should be sticking true to the old-school gaming scene which , as we still see today in CS, is still massively active but most of all TRUE to their game over a longer period of time.

We got a saying for that down here, something along the line of: "Becoming big by staying small". A loyal community will make this game great.

Edited by y!NMastah
  • Upvote 1

I love it. Been playing since Early Access and everyone was pretty amazed by the atmosphere. There is no other game that's so immersive as BF1 in my opinion.

Anyway, it's Battlefield, so people who didn't like the previous games from this franchise will not like this one either.

If anyone wants to meet up on teh leet battlefieldz -> Add me on Origin: BlueSmiley-BE

No point even discussioning authenticity or realism in any way shape or form because it's non-existent but damn is this game fun to play.

Only problem I'm seeing is once again the overpopurity of the Recon class (ie. sniper dickhead). Those rifles has bairly any drop.

On 10/30/2016 at 1:30 AM, Oldboy said:

No point even discussioning authenticity or realism in any way shape or form because it's non-existent but damn is this game fun to play.

Only problem I'm seeing is once again the overpopurity of the Recon class (ie. sniper dickhead). Those rifles has bairly any drop.

Exactly my thoughts. Battlefield games aren't the place to go for a sim experience but they are (usually) fun. Been loving my time so far in BF1. Recon is a little bit of a problem but every time I've come up against a team of people sniping on hills, they have lost the match because they aren't near the objective. I also think there are only a handful of maps that they are a problem on as most of the maps offer decent enough cover once you get used to the layouts and where the recon camp spots are.

Edited by Freakshow

the new Operations gamemode is very similar to the d-day gamemode people suggested for Bat44. there is lots of sniping but the team that pushes the objective more often, wins. and, the map design and polished presentation far exceeds any game i can remember.

Anyone else noticing that attackers rarely win on Operations now? Most games don't even make it to the second map.

On 31-10-2016 at 8:38 AM, y!NMastah said:

Blue! Welcome back mate. Long time no seen.

Ha! I've been busy & I've put my free time in to actually playing games (Bad Company 2, BF1 and Day of Infamy) I'm still reading the forums though. I'll be as active as before as soon the Alpha gets closer... :)

40 minutes ago, Oldboy said:

Anyone else noticing that attackers rarely win on Operations now? Most games don't even make it to the second map.

St. Quentin Scar for example... The defenders win the first round, but the defenders lose as soon as the behemoth goes airborne. These behemoths are a great idea, but way too powerful. /needmoreAA /needbetterteams

Most of the people are just playing for stats/lonewolfing. Working as a team should bring these silly behemoths down in minutes.

Oh well... Operations is a great gamemode, but I rarely play it because of this.

Now that you have played Battlefield 1 for a while, do you still feel it's pulling you back to play? Or "have you already seen it all?" 

36 minutes ago, vozER said:

Now that you have played Battlefield 1 for a while, do you still feel it's pulling you back to play? Or "have you already seen it all?" 

BF1 is still great to play. there's a steeper learning curve than there is for previous BF games so most players are still learning the weapons and maps. gameplay is smooth as butter so i think it will always feel fun to play just like cod4 does. my only criticisms are the weapon progression is unreasonably slow, the medals/challenges system is absolute garbage and squad join is a joke. aside from that, actual gameplay is very good.

• Upvote 1