Katterman

Game Type Suggestions for Battalion 1944

27 posts in this topic

Multiplayer Game Modes

It is very important for Battalion 1944 to become a game for everyone. By saying this I mean all age groups as well as big groups and small groups of players who want to play the game on-line.

Young people and especially teenagers have a lot of free time and due to their age group are able to gather a lot of friends to play on a single map. This means that they can play every single game mode available.

What about game veterans like me and my friends who are beyond 35 years of age? Married people who with jobs and very little time for gaming? Most of the times, and I can only speak here for myself and my friends, as a person gets older his circle of friends becomes smaller including only a selection of very few true friends who happen to have similar interests.

Due our family and work commitments we don’t have a lot of time. We want to play amongst each other and have fun. Not to be in a map with other people who we don’t know. Especially teenagers and younger adults. We don’t want faceless opponents we just want to go up against each other for a bit of a laugh and to have something to talk about while drinking beer or having a coffee.

The Headquarters Game Mode is ideal for us because it can be played with even a minimum of  3 vs 3.  No matter how big or small the map is the action will be focused around the place where the HQ is located. Smaller maps are preferable as you don’t have to run too far to locate the HQ and both sides can meet at some point on the map to fight over who will capture the HQ.

GAME TYPE 1: HQ – Headquarters

In this mode, teams capture a set point in the map (the "headquarters") to gain points. It is one of the most popular game modes, as it offers experience per time that the headquarters is held, allowing for larger sums of points earned. Teams must coordinate a steadfast and solid defensive perimeter around a captured headquarters in order to hold it.

In addition to a HQ game mode securing bridges in specially made maps based on Operation Market Garden is also a good idea.

Hey Katterman,

Even though i agree with you that the game should also be accessible for the more 'mature' players among us, and for a WW2 theme we may assume they actually represent quite a large part of the global FPS gaming community, i would not be surprised BH will aim for the more dedicated/'no lifer' Esports type of players out there :)

But still, and as they have said themselves, they ARE looking at implementing other game types than the common CTF(T)DM and SD ones. HQ and especially Sabotage are my runner ups as well.

Did you ever read my post about the idea of combining ALL gametypes in a single Normandy Beach Assault MP map? Could not find the thread no more but here was the idea:

==============

End Goal:

The end goal should be: Total Domination. To get there, is where the originality comes in (at least i think it has not been done before).

Part one: Storming the beaches

First part, when storming the beaches, the objective should be carrying Bangalores from the boats to the walls and blow these walls up. This is a team based objective (sort of sabotage mode) with a time limit but unlimited spawns from the assaulting forces. In the meantime limited spawns for defending troops!

Once the Bangalores have been brought to the walls and they have been blown up, this part of the mission is completed. There could/should be multiple crates/Bangalores to be carried by different Battalions, leaving from different boats!

Part two: Destroying bunkers and cannons

Next step should be some sort of S&D type of objective, namely: destroying the bunkers + naval cannons. Both teams should have limited spawns in this phase. Once assaulting team loses, they have to start this round over from starting position, till time limit runs out.

Once cannons have been destroyed, game goes to next phase: a TDM part.

Part three: Teach them Jerries!

In this phase both assaulting and defending team meet around trenches and fields behind the hills/bunkers and given unlimited spawns. Goal: within time limit assaulting team should end with higher kills than defending team. Once succeeded they may pass on to next phase.

Part four: Secure the landing site

Last phase: Dominating different objectives spread out over the hinterland (villages and all). Assaulting team has to capture these objectives and once captured a score counter starts running (just regular Domination game mode). Defending team has to prevent this and gets points for each objective they hold. Once time limit is reached team with most points wins. If this happens to be assaulting team, the map is won!

End movie could be some landing crafts deploying tanks on the beaches and making their way through to the hinterland or something ^^

What you guys think? I personally have never played anything like this and could be a real unique selling point for Battalion'44. Just imagine if they could make this (perhaps AFTER official game release) and the media attention it could get.

=======================

On 05/10/2016 at 0:39 PM, y!NMastah said:

In this phase both assaulting and defending team meet around trenches and fields behind the hills/bunkers and given unlimited spawns. Goal: within time limit assaulting team should end with higher kills than defending team.

I'd change this aspect to an objective that has to be completed, e.g., seize and defend a selection of capture points, rather than simply base the result on a team/player's K/D ratio.

I'm in favor of all of the above, but the most competitive and strategically oriented game type I've ever played is simply capture the flag!

y!NMastah your idea sounds very interesting. Can you come up with something similar for Operation Market Garden? There are a lot to implement. 

Tell me what you think about the following,..because you have just given me an idea.

Operation Market Garden: A Bridge Too Far

Game Type Mode 1:

Securing the drop zones around the gliders. Attacking Paratroopers can spawn again whereas German patrols and guards in the area are taken by surprise but if they can hold the key points for a specific time until reinforcements arrive they win.

Game Type Mode 2:

Phase 1:

Trying to capture the bridge by securing key points along the bridge while the defenders try to blow it up. In this point the German troops who try to blow the bridge don’t get to spawn again whereas the British Paratroopers who make the surprise attack in force can. Keep in mind that the Paratroopers will be able to deactivate the demolitions but there is a time limit.

The Paratroopers must secure three points whereas the German Defenders must set demolitions on three points. If the British Paratroopers succeed in securing the Bridge then the game goes to Phase 2 if not the Germans win the match.

Phase 2:

The Paratroopers must hold the Bridge (key points) while the German troops who now attack in force try to take the Bridge back.

Defending team players (British Paratroopers Only) will not be able to spawn again and can only be spectators if they get killed. If the Paratroopers can hold up to a certain time they win. The Germans must kill every single one of the Paratroopers within a specific time limit.

Edited by Katterman
spelling error

12 hours ago, Katterman said:

Trying to capture the bridge by securing key points along the bridge while the defenders try to blow it up. In this point the German troops who try to blow the bridge don’t get to spawn again whereas the British Paratroopers who make the surprise attack in force can. Keep in mind that the Paratroopers will be able to deactivate the demolitions but there is a time limit.

The Paratroopers must secure three points whereas the German Defenders must set demolitions on three points. If the British Paratroopers succeed in securing the Bridge then the game goes to Phase 2 if not the Germans win the match.

I like this idea, idea, Katterman, there's genuine objectives to complete here, instead of the very limited and mind-numbing "K/D ratio FTW!", approach. The last thing we need in respects to a new WWII FPS is just another "meat grinder".

Let's say that the German troops manage to destroy 2 sections of the bridge, can the Allies still win? This type of scenario actually emerged during the battle for the bridge at Remagen, where the German's nearly completely destroyed the bridge, but the Allies still managed to capture and hold it.

The Germans must destroy all three sections in order to win. 

The question is Who is able to plant the demolisions? and Who is able to deactivate them. Not everyone can. If Battalion 1944 introduces classes then I suggest only the Engineers will have this ability. This can take the game to an even higher skill level as the rest of the soldiers in the team have to protect their engineers. It then becomes a matter of tactics as every soldier class is equipped with different weapons. 

I love this types. It is less run all over the map and more tactical.

but I'm not sure that we will have classes into Battalion.

have to see how is will work

2 hours ago, Katterman said:

The question is Who is able to plant the demolisions? and Who is able to deactivate them. Not everyone can. If Battalion 1944 introduces classes then I suggest only the Engineers will have this ability. This can take the game to an even higher skill level as the rest of the soldiers in the team have to protect their engineers.

That's exactly the way it is in Wolf ET, Katterman. The squad must use their combat skills protect the engineers, in order to progress through the map.

2 hours ago, [NGBC]CH_SwissWolf said:

I love this types. It is less run all over the map and more tactical.

Yep, me too SwissWolf. A case of "tactics and teamwork" all the way, as you frag through each map ;).

2 hours ago, [NGBC]CH_SwissWolf said:

but I'm not sure that we will have classes into Battalion.

In the main release of the game? Who knows for sure at this point? For the first release of Battalion I'd just like to see the basics being focussed on, a truly skillful WWII FPS in the style of Call of Duty 2. A game that will say to the FPS Community, "You think you've got skills? Grab your rifle and come show us!".

The ideas that Katterman has put forward are top class and would make for an excellent "add-on" for Battalion or definitely a superb mod, created by our community B|.

Day of Infamy has shown already that you can cater for two totally different type of players. We have been involved with the Cooperative mode and it's clear .. the multiplayer is for the more stat interested type of player. I don't care what type of player you are if a game can appeal to two, so radically different sorts of players the player base will be varied and vast. In the modes discussed here who is to say that we can't come up with a points system that is not simply k/d....that has never engendered teamplay and quite frankly never will.  But perhaps a sequence of maps that progress until one team completes the for want of a better word campaign. Then teams switch so defenders attack second time around. Think of each map as a cap point as a means to capture another map attack...  until one wins outright or fails and the whole battle starts again. With teams reversed.  I'm sure many will find fault but just trying to look at this from a new angle,  I know most of the guys we frag with play for about 3-4 hours a night so a small theatre of war with say 5-7 maps in a campaign would be totally feasible, that way you could also have a French campaign a Belgian campaign an Italian... Etc etc.... 

On 7-10-2016 at 3:08 PM, Wolf Enstein said:

I like this idea, idea, Katterman, there's genuine objectives to complete here, instead of the very limited and mind-numbing "K/D ratio FTW!", approach. The last thing we need in respects to a new WWII FPS is just another "meat grinder".

Let's say that the German troops manage to destroy 2 sections of the bridge, can the Allies still win? This type of scenario actually emerged during the battle for the bridge at Remagen, where the German's nearly completely destroyed the bridge, but the Allies still managed to capture and hold it.

Well, my idea for implementing a TDM part was to cover all various game types in a single map made by BH themselves since they announced in the kickstarter that a Beach landing map was close to be in the game seen the funding it got ;) For a game that wants to revive the WW2 Esport scene i do think something like a TDM game type should be there.

I assume you guys are aiming for custom made maps? In that case i see why you came up with the Market Garden idea since i cannot remember BH was to make this themselves. I will think about possible game scenarios for a map like that as well then. So far what i have read it already sounds awesome!

We help each other in trying to make this game an Epic,..don't forget that I got inspired from you y!NMastah. Keep up your good work.

the game modes I enjoy the most when playing shooters are; TDM, Conquest (Domination), Rush, War, variants of CtF, Search and Destroy..

TDM is self explanatory. Conquest ( or Domination) is what we all know of holding more locations than the other team. Rush again is anyones played games like Battlefield, knows what that game mode is about (if not, destroying two objectives to advance the next part of the round into a new area of the map for the offensive team to destroy another set of two objectives, so on and so forth. defend them enough for ticket bleed successfully to win the round). WAR this is a tug of war type mode, where two teams fight for one objective area, if one team holds the area long enough, it will push the other team back into a new area of the map. If the other team can hold off the advancing team in the new area, the round moves back into the original area to fight again for that spot to try to advance into the other teams area (or if the advancing team can take the new area over, it pushes the defending team back into a third and final area). This game mode can go back and forth if you get good teams fighting each other. Its a fun mode found in a game like COD World At War. Capture the Flag (varients) Theres different types of capture the flag modes. Obviously theres the original version (one version I really enjoy is called Blood Money found in Battlefield Hardline that is a blast to play. Two teams fight over a central location called the money pile and try to bring stacks of cash back to their vault. Team with the most cash wins.) You could do something similar and maybe call them "secret classified files" where you grab a briefcase of classified files and return them to headquarters. Search and Destroy Everyone should be familiar with SnD. Its one of CODs most played game modes. 

Those are just some of the game modes I enjoy playing. 

Edited by NewWorldShogun

5 hours ago, NewWorldShogun said:

the game modes I enjoy the most when playing shooters are; TDM, Conquest (Domination), Rush, War, variants of CtF, Search and Destroy..

TDM is self explanatory. Conquest ( or Domination) is what we all know of holding more locations than the other team. Rush again is anyones played games like Battlefield, knows what that game mode is about (if not, destroying two objectives to advance the next part of the round into a new area of the map for the offensive team to destroy another set of two objectives, so on and so forth. defend them enough for ticket bleed successfully to win the round). WAR this is a tug of war type mode, where two teams fight for one objective area, if one team holds the area long enough, it will push the other team back into a new area of the map. If the other team can hold off the advancing team in the new area, the round moves back into the original area to fight again for that spot to try to advance into the other teams area (or if the advancing team can take the new area over, it pushes the defending team back into a third and final area). This game mode can go back and forth if you get good teams fighting each other. Its a fun mode found in a game like COD World At War. Capture the Flag (varients) Theres different types of capture the flag modes. Obviously theres the original version (one version I really enjoy is called Blood Money found in Battlefield Hardline that is a blast to play. Two teams fight over a central location called the money pile and try to bring stacks of cash back to their vault. Team with the most cash wins.) You could do something similar and maybe call them "secret classified files" where you grab a briefcase of classified files and return them to headquarters. Search and Destroy Everyone should be familiar with SnD. Its one of CODs most played game modes. 

Those are just some of the game modes I enjoy playing. 

Basically i enjoy all game types that give you more than just one spawn, as is the case with S&D. Preferably when the game type also involves an object to either defend, capture or destroy. As long as it is high paced, non-static game play. War indeed was a lot of fun in WaW. To bad me and most of my COD2 buddies never really got hooked up with WaW due to the console look and feel and lack of an active competitive player base.

11 hours ago, Katterman said:

We help each other in trying to make this game an Epic,..don't forget that I got inspired from you y!NMastah. Keep up your good work.

cheers man. Actually first time i ever inspired someone i think ^^ Search the forums for suggestions about the Currahee training map too then. Together with some other early backers we came up with some really cool stuff for that one as well.

A mode like War from WAW or something similar to Operations in Bf 1 (but on a smaller scale) would be cool. A CTF type mode or maybe 1 flag CTF where the flag is replaced by documents or something. Maybe Search and Destroy could be a mode that you play as partisans or resistance fighters to blow up a German position. TDM  and Domination are a must I think.

PLEASE ADD A HARDCORE MODE

A hardcore mode is a must in this type of game. Considering i feel as if most of the community that would be interested in a game like this is 16+ and would be fairly mature, i believe it should allow the veteran gamer to experience a harder difficulty in a FPS game.

2 hours ago, Alpha1234 said:

A mode like War from WAW or something similar to Operations in Bf 1 (but on a smaller scale) would be cool. A CTF type mode or maybe 1 flag CTF where the flag is replaced by documents or something. Maybe Search and Destroy could be a mode that you play as partisans or resistance fighters to blow up a German position. TDM  and Domination are a must I think.

PLEASE ADD A HARDCORE MODE

What about something like Heroes and Generals? A dynamic map that can change depending on the results of battles?

I don't know that much about H&G over all is it kinda like conquest from the battlefield franchise but the positions have to be beside each other or something. It is good but maybe a little big for a game without tanks or jeeps.

Without vehicles, i agree it will be too much, but I am sure the Devs and modders will eventually put vehicles in. Id love to see a Tiger role in on the opposite and i just say "oh crap" lol

But what i meant by a dynamic map is a larger scale map that has all of Europe, or the Pacific Theater island hopping campaign, that we can battle over zones. If captured we can move closer and closer to Berlin and then the Germans can push the Allies back to the beaches. Each zone would have different maps to the general real world terrain. Not saying there should be 1000 maps, would be nice, but flat lands and hilly maps would be nice. Not just close quarter fighting in Carentan. Would it take forever to reach Berlin or push the Allies out? Yea, probably would take as long as the actual war did or even longer, but it may give that much more incentive to play. Especially for "clans" who will play for a few hours and could try to take multiple points.

This also could be directed by the devs themselves. Front line (just in theory) can be a total of 10 points (or 10 servers of 10-12 players and obviously there will be more) and in the day this mode will only allow either side to lose or gain ground by two spaces. Something like this, (AL = Allied points) (X = Original Start off Point) (A = Axis points)

------------ AL------------ AL------------ AL------------ X ------------ A ------------ A ------------ A ------------

This can allow situations like the battle of the bulge to happen. Would be fun i think lol

I see what you mean and I agree tanks should make an appearance somewhere down the line but do you mean this mode is just a continuous event basically like reach Berlin in 10 days for a special helmet or hold the Riech for 10 days and win a special type of wood for your Karbiner 98. So like pick a side and play different modes during the day and the winner in that map pushes to the next map e.g allies take St. Lo move on to Caen or Germans take back Caen go back to St. Lo?

Also it is overall great idea

14 minutes ago, Alpha1234 said:

I see what you mean and I agree tanks should make an appearance somewhere down the line but do you mean this mode is just a continuous event basically like reach Berlin in 10 days for a special helmet or hold the Riech for 10 days and win a special type of wood for your Karbiner 98. So like pick a side and play different modes during the day and the winner in that map pushes to the next map e.g allies take St. Lo move on to Caen or Germans take back Caen go back to St. Lo?

More or less yes! But i think capturing key points like Paris, the successful invasion of the beaches, and other major battles during WW2 would award the winning side with rewards. Key German victories and key American Victories but understandably because the Germans lost the war they would get rewards for defending those key objectives for a certain period of time. An example is, say the US takes it, the people who were involved in that battle get a reward for taking Paris (that reward cannot be given to anyone else) but if the Germans take it and hold it till the end of the day the people who were able to defend it last would recieve the reward. So its an incentive to actually make an effort to either attack or defend.

Or there could be a system that a single point can be played 100 times (to allow more people to participate and the # of times it has to be played can change) and whoever has the higher amount of wins takes the point instead of one battle with a total of 12 people deciding the outcome of "the war". 

4 minutes ago, Alpha1234 said:

Get this man a job a bulkhead and make this a reality!!!

hahahaha <3 I have a couple ideas but they are more for the serious gamers. I posted about a Role Play style as well. The person who commented makes valid points, but i feel just run and gunning will make the game dilute itself into the typical FPS. I don't want that to happen!!!

Hell, another idea just popped into my head for funzies. Ill post it up, let me know what you think.

Not sure if this is possible or if it's a good idea but maybe their could be gamemode where it's like tdm but it doesn't end and you can get a ton of kills.When you leave your stats save.

This could be good because alot of times people don't want a match to end because they want more kills and it would be unique