[DEV] KingHoward

Battalion 1944 User Interface - Ideas Thread

callouts - players are going to name locations themselves whether there are default names or not so i say don't bother. that said, landmarks could have in-game signage in keeping with the environment that would aid the more casual player but leave the competitive players free to develop their own callouts. 

for ingame UI, the one you guys showed is simply awesome (I prefer numeric ammo count though)

upload-2b790bd0-cd02-11e5-94aa-3b4f529f5

https://rm-content.s3.amazonaws.com/525bd94b5908abb4120004a3/488552/upload-2b790bd0-cd02-11e5-94aa-3b4f529f5e39.jpg

for competitive mode is more than enaugh (added the round timer)

Rounds count: could be only showed at the score (press tab)

Minimap: not sure it's necessary but the CoD4 promod one is really cool

Healbar: are you guys going with that? Healthbar like CoD1 does the job perfectly (showing only to the spectators?)

COD1 ui <3

Edited by maz

minimalist UI, white text is easy on the eyes

A few leaves could be taken out of BF1's book, who's UI is clean and clear. I don't think we need old font styles, clarity is tantamount.

I like the compass at the bottom. Perhaps you could have a physical map and compass that the character takes out, quite like Far Cry 2 which was an immersive feature. On the map could be real time ally positions as well as (short period) red dots showing enemy gunfire.

In the alpha you could have different versions of each UI element that testers could pick and choose (modular), then after a few weeks do an ingame poll where the playerbase votes for their favourite elements

Instead of UI elements differentiating the two armies/teams, their outfit clothes should clearly denote whose side theyre on. Maybe even a red or blue cloth sewn onto the soldier's shoulder? 

I think being able to customise HUD UI elements and scale is a no brainer, as well as all the different graphic settings (motion blur, hdr, AA, anisotropic filtering, textures, shaders, shadows, decals, all that good stuff)

whatever is included in the HUD, how about all of it disappears when you ADS and reappear when you scope out? that way, those who like hardscoping a choke point would do so without the benefit of any information other than action on their screen, sounds or callouts. 

• Upvote 4

On 27.12.2016 at 5:05 AM, Farq-S said:

whatever is included in the HUD, how about all of it disappears when you ADS and reappear when you scope out? that way, those who like hardscoping a choke point would do so without the benefit of any information other than action on their screen, sounds or callouts. 

Just like in CoD1 and CoD2  I think. Yes, I'd like that.

• Downvote 1

Team players up top, minimap top left with compass surround, ammo and gun down bottom right. Bomb site etc labels available but can be disabled from console commands would be great.

On 27.12.2016 at 4:05 AM, Farq-S said:

Yeah, that sounds nice.

On 2016-09-09 at 3:46 PM, Freakshow said:

Ideally for me there won't be any great revolutions, keep it simple. Obviously the following are just my own preferences and I may chip in several times as more things come to me:

- If you include an in game map (perhaps this can go on the loading screen so players can take a look whilst loading), please include your own location names on buildings, so everyone is singing off the same sheet. Perhaps you can make it look like a military map with names scribbled over the buildings to identify them.

- A small, circular compass that allows for clearly communicating directions. No "red dots" to pinpoint gunfire, make players learn to use their ears to identify the direction of the sound.

- Killfeed - enough so you know who killed who, with what weapon. Possibly indicating the location of the killing blow (like if it was a headshot, or a leg shot). 

- The ability to see how many players are alive on both teams as well as what the current score/time left is without having to TAB to the scoreboard.

- If you are following a health regen system with a short time to kill model then please, no health bar. Don't need to see that yo-yo'ing up and down.

- Keep remaining ammunition/grenades permanently visible.

Everything Freakshow said, except just have no compass if there are no red dots imo Would just be unnecessary interface then. If we have callouts for the different parts of the map we would not need it. If not then we'd just say, ''Go north'' ''Go south'' etc. and that would be..meh. Either compass with red dots or no compass at all in my opinion :)  

I think having a minimap will help the competitive players a lot. It helped A LOT for COD4 Promod and CSGO. I used the minimap a lot to time my pushes with the rest of the team, etc. 

Edit: You don't have to have red dots for enemies on there as COD4 didn't have that. This promotes communication amongst the team.

Edited by sh0tyz
  • Upvote 1

I see a few people have mentioned it already but I must push the idea of scaling the HUD. It is one of the best things to do in a game to be able to customize what your game looks like. Such as custom configs used in the earlier COD Games.

Personally I refer to have my mini-map larger than normal and my ammo counter small. I know other gamers prefer things differently aswell.

p.s. I really really appreciated having my experience bar on the bottom of my game as it gave me something to strive for. I really enjoyed going on a killing spree or having a really good game and seeing my xp increase steadily. Seeing the bar 90% full also made me want to play into the late hours of the night.

I am a big fan of simple, the menus could be created using a simple grid system which would work well on both consoles and Pc and could translate to varying sizes of screen easily.

Don't go to flashy with colours, even a background image could be faded using white with black icons that would stand out easily.

For the hud the ability to choose what elements to show would allow players to tailor it to our needs. Also being able to move elements around to set it up how we want would be awesome. Varying Crosshairs to choose from would also be nice.

47 minutes ago, vozER said:

BTW guys, the HUD was quite minimal, which was good :)

Good to hear! :D. Thanks for the info.

• Upvote 1

it depends on how realistic u want it to be.

i personally would love it to be like real life  with regards to ammo and maps ie look in the mag / pat ur self down  and kneel down get a map out and look at it 

no leader board unitll the game ends no pop up of who dies so u have to use communication to find out where who and what and injury the game squad has a really good solution to health. no bars no hearts just what u think is ur health with only medics able to see what life you have left

• Upvote 1

On 15/09/2016 at 1:11 PM, yiNMastah said:

Firstly, no need for the player mute buttons since their should be no ingame voice chat ever. The devs themselves are well known of the fact that any self respecting competitive shooter let their players make use of either TS or Vent ;) 

Player reporting should be done by use of the competition website (BattleRank) by providing ingame footage (recording) and a GUID checking system (see: COD2/COD:MW). Since fast paced competitive gamers even use the scoreboard to their advantage (especially in game modes with unlimited spawns to see active player #'s) so making the scoreboard interactive for a reporting system (would be the most logical place as far as i can judge) can really be frustrating when your mouse 'hangs' in there in the heat of the battle.

@Soldat Ryan

My thoughts exactly. COD2 HUD basically held all the essential info. Perhaps the # of grenades and rounds could fade away to the background until using them when they will show up for a few seconds?
Or make it optional to give just that little extra challenge for players that like to go full HC mode.

I second the idea of the fading ammunition and gernade counts

On 23/03/2017 at 2:41 PM, FesterAdams said:

it depends on how realistic u want it to be.

i personally would love it to be like real life  with regards to ammo and maps ie look in the mag / pat ur self down  and kneel down get a map out and look at it 

no leader board unitll the game ends no pop up of who dies so u have to use communication to find out where who and what and injury the game squad has a really good solution to health. no bars no hearts just what u think is ur health with only medics able to see what life you have left

I think the idea of only allowing the medics to see you health is an interesting concept. It could be problematic in the fact that if I only have 20% health and I don't know that and I go and push on an objective and get killed in one shot and now a medic has to come do whatever and he dies trying to save me, now you have your medic down and he's not able to help the rest of the squad out. Also random side question that may not get answered but will there be bleeding damage to your health, That be an interesting thing aswell and make you rethink how you play the game... i.e. Sticking close to your medic

#my2cents

Scoreboard

• Scoreboard needs to be as simple as possible.
  • There also should be an indicator to see who is dead/alive so you can fast-check how many vs how many are still left by opening it
  • Theres nothing wrong with just a plain gray level but you could make it look better or at least not making the whole screen gray (scoreboard of CoD or CS is pretty much perfect)

Minimap

• Small minimap in a corner (let the player decide which corner)
  • Make the size of the minimap adjustable
  • If you plan on making a map with callouts on it, dont use it for the minimap.

Killfeed

• Let the player decide how big the killfeed should be (from one line to sixteen lines or something like that)
  • Give Team1 a colour and Team2 a colour as well (for example blue and red)

For a game I played called Dirty Bomb, you could modify the hud. By default all the items of the hud were around the edges and corners, this didnt seem to be the most useful. Since we needed to keep an eye on the clock so moving it elements towards the center (crosshair) turned out to be better. So people created a "centered hud". Here is a screenie.

DB-hud.jpg

• Upvote 1

HUD in the Multiplayer

Bring back the Compass! I dont want a Minimap, I would prefer a normal Map with the Names of the different Locations on it, accessable via "M". Maybe also shown in the Loading Screen of the Map so Players could have time to learn the Locations while the Map loads.

The Compass should be in the Center of the Monitor as a linear Compass (already shown by some people) or only show the needle. The CoD 1/2 Version is too Big. It should also show nearby Friends and Enemies.

It shouldnt be too easy to spot Enemies, in every other Shooter I can easily do that because of a Minimap. NO Teamwork needed.

For a competetive Search and Destroy Match I would love if it would look somethin like this I made.

Every Information that is needed is shown without blocking the important Area of the Monitor.

HUD_Battalion.thumb.jpg.8b2105645cdde4af513eb84592b24398.jpg

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 3

On 4/8/2017 at 9:01 AM, rosskii said:

For a game I played called Dirty Bomb, you could modify the hud. By default all the items of the hud were around the edges and corners, this didnt seem to be the most useful. Since we needed to keep an eye on the clock so moving it elements towards the center (crosshair) turned out to be better. So people created a "centered hud". Here is a screenie.

DB-hud.jpg

I like the idea of HUD customization. Everyone has their own preferences when it comes to things like this.

I made a post a couple of days ago in the Reinforcement System thread (I included some details about HUD customization from another game as well): http://forums.battaliongame.com/topic/2164-reinforcements-system/?do=findComment&comment=24996

The game Reflex Arena did a perfect job with their HUD system. The game comes with all of the necessary HUD 'widgets' to put you on a level playing field with your opponents. If you don't like the way they look, you have the ability to make your own by using Lua. (They use the NanoVG API to do all the drawing on the Screen for the UI).

There are limitations to prevent cheating as well. If you're a player in a match, parts of the Lua system are restricted, such as enemy player positions, their health and armor, their viewangles, etc., but all of those things are unrestricted when you're in spectator mode. The game also has workshop integration, so you can upload all of your neat widgets (called Addons in the workshop) for other people to use!

And they aren't hard to install either, you simply browse the workshop and subscribe to an Addon, and all the needed files and everything are downloaded and put in the proper directories for you. All you have to do is check a box in-game that will enable or disable it.

Here are some examples of community made Addons:

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=850067158

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=850072551

Here's a spectator HUD used for casting a tournament: 

My Reflex Arena HUD:

My Reflex HUD

• Upvote 1