[DEV] KingHoward

Battalion 1944 User Interface - Ideas Thread

93 posts in this topic

I prefer the HUD of Call of Duty 1. It is easy not to much informations and every important things are on the screen.

Call of Duty 1 = Wolrd War 2 and i hope Battalion1944 will be a worthy successor.

But i think too without any HUDs or indicators Battalion 1944 will be the best and greatest HardCore WW 2 FPS in the World.

Please dont overload the screen with things like The Divison that is sooooo too much!

Call of Duty 1  3.jpg

This interface has a problem in that the difference between empty/full ammunition is not apparent at the corner of the eyes. Used ammunition needs to have a darker outline to make it stand out more clearly from the actual ammo. This image illustrates it well because there are so many rounds they kind of blend together. Looking down the sight, it is hard to see how much ammo I have. 

upload-c155fc00-cd00-11e5-b8de-cfbfa3365

14 hours ago, Charlemagne said:

This interface has a problem in that the difference between empty/full ammunition is not apparent at the corner of the eyes. Used ammunition needs to have a darker outline to make it stand out more clearly from the actual ammo. This image illustrates it well because there are so many rounds they kind of blend together. Looking down the sight, it is hard to see how much ammo I have. 

If that kind of ammo count is going to be a thing, I would rather have the (remaining ammo in the mag in numbers)/(maximum amount of ammo in a mag in numbers).

The HUD from call of duty WaW was simple and effective. With the option of holding a button to bring up a mini map to show your team mates location and give u a better idea idea where the enemy might be. Also holding another button to kills and deaths on a leader board is also  must for me.

Also maybe something like a kill counter somewhere on your screen, maybe even something cool like a little notch showing up near the sights on your gun showing how many enemy’s you have killed in that life? 

Really I guess you want to keep it as simple as in a ww2 fps but I think ABSOLUTELY that the player should have the ability to tailor the HUD to his/hers own specs. So a toggle option in the menu for every part of the HUD would be ideal and keep most people happy to some degree...hopefully.

I have a few ideas. While playing CoD, BF and other war simulations I've come across things I would like to see in this game. Now all the things I'll be listing will be for multiplayer purposes. I'd hope in order to play your game there's modes like players vs players and players vs AI. This will help your multiplayer community grow and understand how the game mechanicals work.

1) no visible names of players, health, ammunition, etc. Basically like the HUD from CoD Hardcore modes. The only way you know friend from foe is by uniform. This can constitute friendly fire and no auto-health regeneration.

2) emblem creation. Now since you may or may not see other players' names, there emblem should be visible like on their helmet or a stitch on their clothes.

3) premature ammunition reload. It isn't real if you reload after every kill and have all your bullets that you dropped still with you. If you reload with a bullet used magazine, you should lose all ammunition in that magazine. Each player only has 2 Additional mags.

4) there should be classes: Medic, that heals others and himself with first aid because there's no auto-health regen. Resupplier:  one that carries additional ammunition for others as well as triple for himself. Roughneck: higher endurance runner and sleight of hand with the ability to switch weapons faster, reload faster, and the only one with grenades. Having just these 3 would make the game interesting. Others could add to this as well as take away.

4) no peripheral score streaks or vehicles. The last thing I want to play is helicopter vs player. It should remain boots on the ground. If you like to praise a player for being so good, there should be a "bounty" on an untouchable or MVP. The wanted player should get some sort of perk like a "war cry" for every kill after 5 in a row or so. As we progress, we should be able to choice those war cries like a shout or special saying.

5) taunting: there's nothing better than killing a player than taunting like in Battlefront Star Wars...or other special means in Halo and CoD. Killcam maybe not enough. I'd like to be able to taunt so in the killcam they see the taunt.

6) knife carving. In Overwatch, you could spray walls and other places. Since you have a gun and a knife you should be able to carve wooden areas your symbol.

7) knifing, there's pros and cons to knifing like the fact it's panic and a cheap way to win in CoD. The way in Battlefield seems cheated as you can easily counter and stab them back. So...guns with bayonettes should stab and miss if not accurate or on point. If you're holding a gun, smacking with the blunt of the weapon does only 1/4 damage and staggers players for a second. This gives the melee player a chance to shoot them afterwards. If knife is out, knife melee stab is like that or CoD ghost. You could also throw your knife.

8) gore. This should be given to the player if they want gore filtered or not, but what I liked was gore from CoD WaW. A proper explosion decapitated limbs and blood went everywhere.

9) weapon balance: you should be given a point system on weapons, ammo and attachments. Smgs cost 1 point, Rifle cost 2 (because they're bigger) and LmGs cost 3 (with extra bullet penetration and damage). Each attachment costs a point and ammo as well. Gas mask: 1 point (poison tossing that actually kills?). Helmet costs 1 as it protects you from headshots. Knife and pistol cost a point. Weight should also play a roll as the heavier the items you carry the less mobility the character should have. I don't want to see a supply guy with an LmG running at full speed.

The only thing I would like to see is a simple, less interfering HUD. (Just use older shooters as a reference) I also dont need to know where my teammates are on the map/on-screen and dont want to see their names floating around on the screen if I'm looking in their direction, regardless of if they are next to me or across the map. Battlefield does it and its annoying as well as interfering. You see someone and think its an ally because your teammates name shows up over their head, but turns out its an enemy player and your teammate is actually no where near you. I hope that makes sense. 

Edited by NewWorldShogun

The simple answer to the yes this and no that argument is have them switchable in a configurable HUD through the setup menu. That way anyone that wants all items off no compass etc etc can have a uncluttered screen and for the guys that want info they can have that configuration too.  

Some kind of fireteam option would be excellent too through playing DOI we noticed that not knowing you are last alive can be a huge issue so and opaque fireteam would be superb.

An intuitive load out screen would be cool, adaptable option as well as defaults.

One huge thing would be a great set of customisable server tools. Having played several alpha games not having all details of available server commands make running a server kind of hard, having a wiki or database in place before we start running our own server would be a huge help.

I guess there aren't that much feasible new ideas on user interfaces for the screen-keys-mouse-environment. Things will change once Battalion goes VR. ;) The all-too fancy stuff that was brought up in the past has vanished today for a reason. (e.g. Microsoft - no more 3D-buttons/menus/..., no more transparency)

Therefore I agree with a lot of people up there, keep-it-simple/keep-it-clean is the way to go.

Despite the beforementioned, I'd like to see a revival of the fully editable HUD. I think I only saw that on some old Doom game, or someother game back then. Not only let us decide what will be displayed, but where to put it on the screen. I could go into more detail on this one, if anyone is interested, but I'm short on time atm.

When it comes to setting-menus I prefer tab-menus above all. That approach follows the 3-click idea and should do the trick on all platforms.

The loadout-menu is usually a mess on most games, in my opinion. Unfortunatelly I can't quite fathom what I dislike about them in particular. Maybe it is simply too much information, no matter how well organised, in general. I sure would put significantly more time/efforts/money on trying to find something great there, than in any other place, given it will be - asside from the lobby/server-browser and actually playing the game - the menu people will hang around most.

However, I'd like to have a fully functional console, which allows to change settings by command. That's something that Assault Cube really does better than a lot of other games. Changing things like Gamma, Volume, FOV, FPS-on-screen, key-binds and so on right away without searching through menus is quite handy, even if maybe only for the advanced users. I'd be suprised if it is wasn't supported by Unreal anyway.

Edited by RLpacifist

Ok, sorry for the big delay but I had some problems on a server that I manage and I've involved my time to resolve the noises.

Well, I think that you have already said the essential:
Keep it simple!
(especially in game)
The screen, in game, must give us only few basics info and let us see as much as possible the action/environment around us.
On the same time, each of us, as players, have our personal opinions about what the basic infos are:
- no infos! I would play as hard as I can!
- just my life to know when I've to go at cover
- just my life and my primary weapon ammo situation
- I would know where my team-mate are!
- I would know where the enemy are!

The list can be long and, as I remember, actually Battalion haven't planned a single player campaign. That take me on an other point for non-competitive game/servers... make all options (dis)enable from Server Admin first and from Players than.

What I mean here?

I mean that I start with some new ideas, crazy and stupid as asked by King :) (thank you to for your question and opportunity!)

IN GAME
Well, let say that I'm an admin and I set this configuration:
- Life indicator: yes
- Primary Weapon Ammo indicator: yes
- Primary Grenade indicator: yes
- Shot direction indicator: no

Now, as player, on the server I can make my own choice on the Admin admitted indicator:
- Life indicator: yes
- Primary Weapon Ammo indicator: yes
- Primary Grenade indicator: no

At the end, I would have this situation:

- Life indicator: yes - yes => YES
- Primary Weapon Ammo indicator: yes - yes => YES
- Primary Grenade indicator: yes - no => NO
- Shot direction indicator: no - no possible choice => NO

Why this?
As Admin I can have my game idea about "hard/soft" game and make a server based on this, but I let at players the opportunity to play on my server in an harder way if they would.
I know that probably some elements would never be blocked by players if they are active on server. I mean; if the "enemy spot ability" is active, you will be really crazy to disable this option just for you... you would have a big disadvantage, but perhaps you doesn't care about your primary grenade situation.

Other point:
Let players define the position of the indicators.
You prefer have the life on your right side, or perhaps on the left? Give us the opportunity to "create" our own structure.
As DEV you can decide if make a "free drag-and-drop system" or define some specific areas, but than let player say: ok, I will see my life on the over right edge (or bottom left,...).

As "graphical" view I think that the "ribbon-compass-infos" proposed by FARQ-S can works too and spare place on screen, but here you will find an example about the "positions":

positions.png

Please, note that:

- I'm really bad at design :)

- I've setted just some "stupid" images to give an idea (even if they would be similar at my idea of "minimalism")

- Personally I wouldn't see enemies and fire directions elements, they are here just as example (with overlay)

- I haven't set the kill feed but It can be imagined as overlay :ph34r:

example2.png

example1.png

Let explain the images:

1/6 = Remain Bullets / Max Bullets (we doesn't need - I think - the raster of the weapon)

heart with decrease color = Life indicator (small but, I think, rapid)

n-s-w-e = dynamical compass with transparency

gold symbol = target position (set as overlay on the compass)

blue/red points = friend/enemy position (setted as overlay on the compass, nothing on the map over the player)

overlayed red image = fire direction (hit), transparency

Some elements can be "on-request" too: compass, map,... if they are active on server it doesn't mean that the must be visible by default. Perhaps just "key-binded".

Please: no rewards pop-up during the fight! Let them at end, during the score resume.

On Load-Screen (pre-match)

I like the FARQ-S Idea (yes, I've make a positive vote ;)) about the Map.

As I see the Load-Screen can teach us some little things:

- World map position of the conflict location
- Infos about the location itself:
    More important fight on LOCATION_NAME: FIGHT_NAME
    WWII Daily info (a little bit as the Tweets about "WWII fact of the day" ;))

I think that it would be really hard to make something new/never see.

You can set background ideas (personalisation of HUD,...) but at the end in-game you have to stay with an simple as possible result.

At end, nothing special I think :)

Edited by [NGBC]CH_SwissWolf
I've lost the explanation images :D

There should be VOIP in this game, no matter if it is on PC or not. Most people only use teamspeak if they are friends playing together, and there are some of us out there that likes solo queuing. Think CSGO, that game would be terrible without VOIP for competitive game modes.

Keep it clean and simple, don't clutter the UI with to much stuff, make it possible to switch potentially distracting UI off.

Old school scoreboards. Main menu with at least abiltiy to switch between SP,MP and Options. Some games have this wierd idea of hiding options under SP,MP tabs which is just confusing. For audio have a few sliders and not just one master volume. 

Edited by heady89

On 23/09/2016 at 10:53 PM, Charlemagne said:

Or only show the icons on the remaining bullets. 

-----

What CoD2 has on the bullet / equipment info works well. It's simple and informative

Kuvahaun tulos haulle cod2 hud

-----

On 23/09/2016 at 8:42 PM, Dynamite1337GER said:

I prefer the HUD of Call of Duty 1. It is easy not to much informations and every important things are on the screen.

Call of Duty 1 = Wolrd War 2 and i hope Battalion1944 will be a worthy successor.

But i think too without any HUDs or indicators Battalion 1944 will be the best and greatest HardCore WW 2 FPS in the World.

Please dont overload the screen with things like The Divison that is sooooo too much!

Call of Duty 1  3.jpg

Same here. To my eyes, this is perfect. Simple yet informative. Not too much of gibberish on the screen distracting my intensive shooting.

On 9/9/2016 at 3:23 AM, [DEV] KingHoward said:

1) Write down ideas that are as ridiculous as possible.

For implementing a kill feed, please add something like this for a nut shot kill.  Nutcracker 

Please name buildings and locations. Can be named a special code name like Zulu or Charlie, just so we can direct our team mates to it.

Please include voice chat in-game, it's a lot better when you're playing solo and you don't know anyone in the team so you dont have comms with them.

Kill feed in all games modes is a must unless it hinders gameplay.

Cheers

Edited by Exodus

10 hours ago, Exodus said:

Please name buildings and locations. Can be named a special code name like Zulu or Charlie, just so we can direct our team mates to it.

Please include voice chat in-game, it's a lot better when you're playing solo and you don't know anyone in the team so you dont have comms with them.

Kill feed in all games modes is a must unless it hinders gameplay.

I completely +1 this.

11 hours ago, Exodus said:

Question to everyone: Would you rather us provide location names (call outs) via the UI or let the community create their own upon release?

We're making each section of the map identifiable with 'landmarks' so that players not only know where they are within a level but also are able to call over voice comms 'Sniper by Tank' or '1 by broken wall' etc. I know from experience in CS, players will come up with their own callouts regardless of what it says underneath the radar. Depends if you'd rather us create default call outs for players aswell

I think that people trying to get into the game could benefit from certain places/locations being named for them. I remember when i tried to get into CS:GO, it was a pain to learn certain spots that everybody was calling, but seemingly had no connection to the name (the one that comes to mind right away is "Jungle" on Mirage for example). In the end, the community will develop their own location names anyways though, simply because the "need" arises. If people often are located in an area that is not named, a name will develop.

So in short, i'd say give a couple of locations a name and let the community do the rest.

@[DEV] KingHoward

I'd say leave it to the community. If you design the maps in such a way it has clear landmarks we will take care of the rest ;) 
What seems a logic name to you can be be less logic to others. clans tend to come up with short/simple but effective call outs.

Worked in every game I've played so far (who hasn't heard of the "Graveyard" on COD2 now huh? :) "Market" on COD:MW anyone?)

Edited by y!NMastah

I'd like it much better if we actually named the places as simple as it may be, it takes new players some time to understand the callouts like CSGO.

Even if it's generic like Location 1, it would allow players new and old alike to communicate better than having a landmark and an unofficial callout.

Just my opinion sir

@[DEV] KingHoward, the default landmark will be appreciate by lonewolf (players without clans) but it is sure that each communities will develop thier own location names. IMHO.

Agree with Soldat Ryan.

The strength of a (competitive) game also lies in letting the community have some freedom to sort things out on their own. With other words: let them do the thinking instead if aiding them too much.

I know of a WW2 game out there where they take players by the hand by literally putting info text messages on EVERYTHING and the maps have such awfully tunneled design that all it lacks is big arrow signs saying "this way for objective!". 

Again, no need for predefined location names afaic.

Less is more regarding hud and such!

As to call outs - Leave it to the community

On 23/11/2016 at 10:17 AM, [DEV] KingHoward said:

Question to everyone: Would you rather us provide location names (call outs) via the UI or let the community create their own upon release?

We're making each section of the map identifiable with 'landmarks' so that players not only know where they are within a level but also are able to call over voice comms 'Sniper by Tank' or '1 by broken wall' etc. I know from experience in CS, players will come up with their own callouts regardless of what it says underneath the radar. Depends if you'd rather us create default call outs for players aswell

Please leave it to the community. The simpler the better. It's only fun when people will come up with their own funny names, and it gives more breathing space on the UI.

On 23/11/2016 at 10:31 AM, Frxion said:

I think that people trying to get into the game could benefit from certain places/locations being named for them. I remember when i tried to get into CS:GO, it was a pain to learn certain spots that everybody was calling, but seemingly had no connection to the name (the one that comes to mind right away is "Jungle" on Mirage for example). In the end, the community will develop their own location names anyways though, simply because the "need" arises. If people often are located in an area that is not named, a name will develop.

So in short, i'd say give a couple of locations a name and let the community do the rest.

You will learn them, however. You just gotta play and play :) I don't find it to be a problem at all. I agree with everything you said though

Having general building/location names (bank, butcher, supermarket, hotel) would be beneficial for newer players, and shoutcasters/broadcasting. I feel it would be better if they were in game rather than players going out and googling callouts so they can be more help to the team.. There are always going to be more specific callouts made by players like cutout, catwalk, heaven, dark.