[DEV] KingHoward

Battalion 1944 User Interface - Ideas Thread

94 posts in this topic

Hey guys!

So we're currently working with our User Interface design team and we're currently in the ideation phase. We've got some really talented guys working with us and we've got some great ideas so far to make the user experience innovative as well as interesting and highly useable. Whilst we've already locked down our own initial ideas and plans, we want to hear your ideas, however brilliant or ridiculous, to help make Battalion 1944 a better user experience for everyone, as we know different users have different needs.

This is purely the ideation phase, so we'll be looking at any ideas you present with an open mind. The best ones totally have a chance make it into the game based on importance/feasibility. 

Posting Rules:

1) Write down ideas that are as ridiculous as possible.
2) No critique of anyone elses ideas. Only expand upon.
3) Write down as many ideas as possible.
4) We will look through and incorporate the best ideas into Battalion 1944.

Feel free to 'upvote' others ideas that you like.

This is important to us as we're developing Battalion alongside you the community as well as for ourselves as gamers, so it'll be great to hear your ideas and to potentially help the game better for everybody. We understand there have been Ui ideas posted before, but it'd be great to get them all contained into one thread. We'll be reading all your replies!

Ideally for me there won't be any great revolutions, keep it simple. Obviously the following are just my own preferences and I may chip in several times as more things come to me:

- If you include an in game map (perhaps this can go on the loading screen so players can take a look whilst loading), please include your own location names on buildings, so everyone is singing off the same sheet. Perhaps you can make it look like a military map with names scribbled over the buildings to identify them.

- A small, circular compass that allows for clearly communicating directions. No "red dots" to pinpoint gunfire, make players learn to use their ears to identify the direction of the sound.

- Killfeed - enough so you know who killed who, with what weapon. Possibly indicating the location of the killing blow (like if it was a headshot, or a leg shot). 

- The ability to see how many players are alive on both teams as well as what the current score/time left is without having to TAB to the scoreboard.

- If you are following a health regen system with a short time to kill model then please, no health bar. Don't need to see that yo-yo'ing up and down.

- Keep remaining ammunition/grenades permanently visible.

It would be awesome to see something similar to the st hud for seeing where nearby friendly team mates are. A pop up compass like in arma would also be helpful for calling out bearings.

It would also be cool to have your character pat himself down to find out how much ammo he has in hardcore game modes rather then just always have it on screen.

firstly, thanks very much for giving us the opportunity to put forward our ideas.

my idea is very simple in that the main screen could be a WW2 map of Europe with the menu icons overlayed on the map. the icons could drill down into a more detailed map or menu. for example, if you wanted to play on the carentan map you'd go to france on the first map. this would drill into the various map locations with carentan being one of them. i've linked crude examples to illustrate.

for the hud, i think it could be as minimal as possible. on the game screen there would be a ribbon compass with teammates indicated above the ribbon and objectives indicated below. instead of a mini-map on the game screen there would be a full screen map of the play area on a toggle button. again, crude examples attached to illustrate.

thanks for listening.

[EDIT] i found a map on google (linked) which is animated to show how the war progressed at different dates. got me thinking that maybe the UI map could be animated in the same way by the player selecting a listed date which would show the map at the chosen date with a ticker or legend saying "on this day........". would make the UI semi-dynamic and inject some war history while retaining the maps functionality 6df07d4d55.gif

Bat44 HUD.JPGBat44 UI-1.JPGBat44 UI-2.JPG

Edited by Farq-S

Also, in order to keep as many people as possible happy, allow as many elements of the UI to be turned off serverside so those who like to run custom set ups on their own servers can do so as they please.

Bulkies and fellow B1944's

To begin with: The User Interface is perhaps one of the most underestimated features in a game that can actually make it or break it. The UI holds both the main menu screen layout, HUD, character load out screen as the server settings menu and the match finder / serverlist. Something i personally are really keen on and allergic for too, if not done right (see: Heroes and Generals where they started off really great but since 2014 totally messed it up).

In general:

- First of all: In all area's the golden rule is KEEP IT SIMPLE and follow the "3 click max to reach your goal" principle.
- Second: preferably do not hide everything under buttons but make it reachable directly as much as possible.
Example: I wish to mute main menu sound? then there should be a speaker icon directly on my screen that toggles it. And not having to go all the way through settings menu to disable it.
- Something revolutionary could be a personalized fast access menu?
- Keep it low on the fancy stuff and have features toggled OFF as default. If people want to fancy up their UI / HUD then let them have to toggle it manually.
- DO NOT design the UI as if playing on a mobile phone.
- DO NOT use floating menu's but have everything framed and positioned properly and logically.

Main menu idea
- Have a solid background only showing the SinglePlayer / MultiPlayer / Training and Settings options in a list. Simple as that. Early COD series did and worked just fine. Optional the toggle on/off sound button and credits page showing the names of the devs, investors and early backers.
- Do not add social media links nor links to the forum/website or whatsoever on the main page. Perhaps when viewing the "credits and info" page can hold them. Else it will look very cheap and like a game aiming for the "casual gamer and the mass").
- Optional: A tactic maker menu where you select one of the official maps from a list and go to a drawing board where you can add simple colored lines and dots and able to send it to other accounts?

Single player
- Depending of how the SP will take shape, this screen should give u the possibility to choose the faction you would like to play the SP campaign with, by the use of a simple pull down menu. Something unique would be the option to play as a Wehrmacht soldier! But that aside. 
- Then a list will appear of the scenario's that are available to play.
- Lastly a character load out screen showing the character with slots around it on designated places of where the equipment should be placed (e.g. in one hand holding the main weapon, second hand a pistol, on the head a helmet with custom modification etc).
- Alternatively have classes to choose from with fixed load outs and let players just then select the asset to customize?

Multiplayer
- FarQ-S his idea sounds interesting. World map showing active WW2 theaters. Next zoom level should show the cities/towns/areas available each with their own specific / detailed map (with help of mod community). After selecting the map of choice, the last zoom level (3 click max) should give you the list of available servers running that map with server info and join button.
- But to stick to the "keep it simple formula", just showing a filter and "refresh" button which calls a mission list should do the trick too. And in my honest opinion this will fit better in a game that aims for competitive gaming.

HUD
- Optuinal: A compass showing your position, objectives and wind directions and perhaps a red dot lighting up where an enemy is spotted 
- Optional: Ammo status bar bottom screen
- Optional: health bar
- Clock showing remaining battle time top left
- NO hit registration boxes
- NO spotting doritos in your screen/face
- NO objective markers in your screen other than on the compass (competitive gamers are smart enough to learn the maps) 
- NO text messages telling you what happens in the game but just sounds (see: COD: MW)
- NO tooltips ingame

Again, not too much hidden menu's that turns the game into a point and click adventure game.

Please do not try to win a Pulitzer price by making everything ultra super high resolution with curved edges around text and that sorts.
The game should have an oldschool look&feel. MOH and COD2 did this very nicely (COD:MW less) and people supporting this game actually expect an oldschool type of game starting with the general UI. We/they do not really care about fancy graphics since then we would have gone playing COD:10000 AD.
Text size should not be too small.

Thats my two cents. Will think of more.

Added:
- Please keep transitions and animations to a minimum. If you click something (e.g. open a menu) it should simply 'pop open' with minimum delay instead of slowly sliding open or stuff like that Again this all looks fancy but surpasses its goal. 
- Concerning Farq-S his carousel i would suppose hitting a button to change faction would just dissolve the current character image and load the next one rather than having some carousel turning it around some axis putting the current one on the background or anything.

Simplicity is the keyword here ;)

Edited by y!NMastah

to add to y!NMastah's comments, i think tabs should be used to keep clicks to a minimum. the usual crude illustration is attached as an example.

Tabs.JPG

looking more closely at the Loadouts tab and depending on how the game is setup you could have a character model (similar to the character screen in Destiny) that presents the uniform and weapon options available. you could have a character customisation screen for each army in a carousel configuration (i'm sorry i don't know the correct technical term for a carousel screen).

the battlerank and settings tab are pretty much self explanatory.

Edited by Farq-S

come on guys! we need more ideas in this thread. this is the sort of opportunity to make a significant contribution to the game and only 4 of us has said a word.

Tugg-1.gif

16 minutes ago, Farq-S said:

come on guys! we need more ideas in this thread. this is the sort of opportunity to make a significant contribution to the game and only 4 of us has said a word.

Tugg-1.gif

I need some time to make something crazy (and actually I've more code-side ideas).

I'll hope to be able to make something for this weekend ;)

But the important points are already here:

Simple

Rapid

Intuitive

Stay tuned for more details :D

Hi folks,

Just to add my 2-bits.

Main screen Multi please allow us to mute other players...Cant stand screaming shouting or music (other than punk:)) that other players seem to put on full volume.

Main screen Multi please allow us to select players that we think are cheat/hacking and put in a report button with space to explain why we think they are cheating.

As the others have said KISS keep it simple stupid. I think we should try through alpha/beta testing to get most desirable mix of maps and buittons.

Backgrounds, maps, buttons and text etc keep to WWII vintage look for effect. I really liked the 101 Airborne main, equipment & weapons screens & B17 pre mission briefing in the old huts etc.

Thanks for the effort guys

Edited by Pte Walker

As it is said yet : Keep it simple !

I prefer a "COD2"'s HUD :

400px-CoD_2_Repairing_the_Wire3.jpg

than a "The Division"'s HUD where there are too much informations (too much information kills information).

maxresdefault.jpg

But while we are able to disable them in server settings, elements by elements i m fine with.

Don't forget the access to the ingame console for admins. :P

17 hours ago, Pte Walker said:

Hi folks,

Just to add my 2-bits.

Main screen Multi please allow us to mute other players...Cant stand screaming shouting or music (other than punk:)) that other players seem to put on full volume.

Main screen Multi please allow us to select players that we think are cheat/hacking and put in a report button with space to explain why we think they are cheating.

As the others have said KISS keep it simple stupid. I think we should try through alpha/beta testing to get most desirable mix of maps and buittons.

Backgrounds, maps, buttons and text etc keep to WWII vintage look for effect. I really liked the 101 Airborne main, equipment & weapons screens & B17 pre mission briefing in the old huts etc.

Thanks for the effort guys

Firstly, no need for the player mute buttons since their should be no ingame voice chat ever. The devs themselves are well known of the fact that any self respecting competitive shooter let their players make use of either TS or Vent ;) 

Player reporting should be done by use of the competition website (BattleRank) by providing ingame footage (recording) and a GUID checking system (see: COD2/COD:MW). Since fast paced competitive gamers even use the scoreboard to their advantage (especially in game modes with unlimited spawns to see active player #'s) so making the scoreboard interactive for a reporting system (would be the most logical place as far as i can judge) can really be frustrating when your mouse 'hangs' in there in the heat of the battle.

@Soldat Ryan

My thoughts exactly. COD2 HUD basically held all the essential info. Perhaps the # of grenades and rounds could fade away to the background until using them when they will show up for a few seconds?
Or make it optional to give just that little extra challenge for players that like to go full HC mode.

Edited by y!NMastah

3 hours ago, Soldat Ryan said:

too much information kills information

Agreed, Ryan. All that's needed is the basic in-game info. Although, in saying that, I really like having "fireteam" info in the top-left corner of my UI, here's an example:

oZhjxWy.jpg

It tells me where my players are, their state of health and how may are in respawn. All that information contained in one small box :).

2 hours ago, y!NMastah said:

Firstly, no need for the player mute buttons since their should be no ingame voice chat ever. The devs themselves are well known of the fact that any self respecting competitive shooter let their players make use of either TS or Vent ;) 

As a PC player, which a lot of us are, yes. However, don't forget about consoles. This game will be releasing on consoles. Console gamers correct me if I'm wrong but this seems like a thing that is much needed there?

This puts me onto a side note. Please develop the necessary elements of the UI's separately for the various platforms. Nothing screams "I don't care about this platform" more than a poorly or rushed ported/adapted UI. It's really is a poor experience to hop into a game on PC and it's telling me to 'Press X to Continue'. So lazy! I wouldn't expect this from Bulkhead from what I've seen so far but just want to make sure ;).

Edited by Freakshow

Would it be possible to have a customisable interface?

For example have the ability to turn certain features on or off and potentially snap them to different areas of the screen?

1 hour ago, Freakshow said:

As a PC player, which a lot of us are, yes. However, don't forget about consoles. This game will be releasing on consoles. Console gamers correct me if I'm wrong but this seems like a thing that is much needed there?

This puts me onto a side note. Please develop the necessary elements of the UI's separately for the various platforms. Nothing screams "I don't care about this platform" more than a poorly or rushed ported/adapted UI. It's really is a poor experience to hop into a game on PC and it's telling me to 'Press X to Continue'. So lazy! I wouldn't expect this from Bulkhead from what I've seen so far but just want to make sure ;).

the ability to mute in-game voip on console is a feature that is expected and a real pain in the arse when it's not there.

Personally, I say mix Red Orcestra 2/ Rising Storm HUD with the one from COD2 as in, it will be there when you want it, not there all the time and it will show all the necessary info that you need to know when needs be such as

When you fire your weapon or reload, it shows the ammo count, grenades included, same goes for kill feed but the compass stays and no disappearing.

And a button that allows you to call the full HUD up.

*tosses two cents*

Ah yes i forgot about our console gamers when it comes down to VOIP. Perhaps since competitive gaming is mostly done on PC's and I have my mind set to that 100%. ^^

Anyways. since we may assume that the largest part of the community that will pick up this game will be PC gamers, we should be really humble about what to ask the Devs to spend their time on so that we get the max out of the game that serves all platforms. Instead of a game full of gimmicks only to be used by fragments of the community. Investing resources in VOIP will be a classical 80/20% situation; costing a lot of efforts but only serving a relatively small portion of this (expected) community. On the other hand, they can not leave the console gamers in the dark concerning some sort of communication platform. Is it not possible to log onto TS or Vent when on console? (i am not familiar with console FPS gaming sorry).

Concerning HUD and this "Fireteam" info: isn't that exactly something that should be left out for the sake of encouraging teamplay and clear communication? I personally do not see the benefit of this info box (which mostly means more HUD clutter) when there's already proven TS systems around. I see at as an extra skill level when teams outplay other teams also on perfect use of communication without any of these 'assisting' tools. Would not mind if it was set to optional though, but server sided then to not to be of any advantage from one over the other.

(p.s. a typical HUD shown in that screenshot of Wolf, that i wish not to see in Bat1944. Way to much screen filling stuff and basically any tooltip would ruin it for me. I wish not to be taken by hand by a game telling me what buttons to press for an action, which i have set myself to an input key).

Hi guys! Thank you for involving fans into the game! Something you rarely see these days.

Here is my POV.

• No compass - I guess it represents reality more like this
  • No bullet counter - same point as above, just countr your shots (maybe after reloading you could loose all ammo in your mag?)
  • No HUD - same point as 1st one
  • Badges like they made are awesome, for other UI elements I would make them black and white only as they also did

Hope this is any help for you!

Fully customizable hud elements? I used to be a big player of TF2 and what I loved about it was that no two games were alike. If not, give us options to enable/disable a lot of features depending on if you want a lot of medals for killing a player or not.

I love the bullet outlines as my remaining clip, I think that's great. Along with the low-key compass. I'm not sure a mini-map is even a good idea for this game!

My biggest request is that everything have a toggle in the options menu! It's very frustrating to not be able to control what you see in your HUD in a competitive game. Something that helps one person can really hurt another. For example, in Overwatch, you cannot select abilities and fire with mouse1! This makes me worse at the game while helping others because of my experience with half-life, etc.

26 minutes ago, armyk said:

Hi guys! Thank you for involving fans into the game! Something you rarely see these days.

Here is my POV.

• No compass - I guess it represents reality more like this
  • No bullet counter - same point as above, just countr your shots (maybe after reloading you could loose all ammo in your mag?)
  • No HUD - same point as 1st one
  • Badges like they made are awesome, for other UI elements I would make them black and white only as they also did

Hope this is any help for you!

I agree with this - ignore the old digital HUD. Go back to 'analogue'

Direction - pull out a physical in-game compass. (unable to fire during)

Position - Pull out a map, finger or something could point to ones actual position

Kill ratio - Notebook in back pocket / notch on gun

Ammo - check the clip?

Some of these ideas probably wouldn't work but my point is, every decision has a physical effect on gameplay.

What I want in this game...

1.  Have everyone start off with the same guns and equipment on multiplayer, not have to unlock by leveling up. If you ever played Socom 2, this was one of the best ideas they ever had.  If you want the allies and the axis to have weapons unique to each group, thats fine, but the weapons must be comparable, not have one side have all the better guns.  If you want people to unlock camos or secret characters, have them be unlocked in the single player game (if you have a single player mode).  That way people have a reason to play the single player mode.

2.  Online ranking system, judged by combination of KD, wins and objectives met, not just by one stat alone.

3.  Clans, for obvious reasons.

4.  The ability to vote out other players.

5.  Maps that are not the size of shoeboxes, but not the size of the grand canyon either.

6.  Ability to send game invites to your friends.

7.  Standard HUD with Bullet counter, health, armor etc, basic compass.  Doesn't need to be too elaborate, but with all the action going on, I don't wanna guess aboit how many bullets I have.  Maybe even let players customize their HUDs to their own liking.

8.  DO NOT DO A GAME WITH FLYING AROUND IN JET PACKS OR BOOST BOOTS OR WHATEVER THE FUCK...(had to get that out of my system)

9.  If you have people being knifed, have the option for the knifer to keep knifing to drain their health, and the knifee(?) to have the potential to block the knife if reaction is quick enough.

10.  It is okay to have a game be realistic, but please remember that it is a game and is meant to be fun.  Ex:  GTA San Andreas and GTA Five, I hate, hate, HATE the working out and food consumption.  I do not need a game to mimic real life all that much.

11.  TAUNTS!  Have the ability to send taunts to the other players, dance on their bodies, maybe even piss on them too.  Must let people know that they are casual scum from time to time.

12.  Explosions and head shots should KILL THEIR TARGETS, not be able to brush off like a mosquito bite.

13.  Have the ability to airdrop in a multiplayer match for a tactical insertion.  Would be kinda cool, maybe the player coming down would have temporary increased health so it is not like  a party bus full of people throwing grenades into a barrel with only one fish, or sped up coming down.

Agreed on keeping it simple. I would like a pull up menu (e.g., tab) that let's users quickly customize the UI by checking or unchecking a list of checkboxes. As others have noted, the UI should have at minimum the ammo remaining, a compass, a minimap, and a team roster, all of which can be toggled on or off with the pull up menu. By making it easy to turn features on and off with a quick popup menu you let everyone decide if they want a minimalist UI (just ammo) or a complex one with all the info they need right in front of them.