Not everyone wants to move around like quake, have to play against people who use scripts to quick fire or tweak every inch of performance, and want a more tactical approach and utilization of teamwork.  Even though wehn comparing kickstarter videos, I would had thought BAT44 would be the game that leans more towards realism with how it showed Germans running with their rifles, assaulting defensive pillboxes and slower assault up a main street utilizing cover....and DOW looked like a 100% fast play run and gun type ; it is DOW who is throwing bones to the casual players a bit more and even intends to add a complete realism mode for servers wishing to run it that contain a lot of what people like us want.  

I have never understood the comp communities obsession with being totally against allowing casual or role play players a chance to do their own thing.  They always say "mod it in".  My vote is with the game that says you wont have to, we will do that for you.  Again this goes back to how much love we can expect over here if you are a representation of who the game is to be catered to.  Just look at how you picked out Omaha.  Omaha man!?  Serious?  They literally made a video on it too look just like SPR to get us role players excited.  How then or even why would you make it so unrealistic to be "balanced for competitive purposes".  

By knocking on Omaha and Foy, you are attacking fans of casual and immersion.  Who those maps where made for.  If the overwhelming "sane" negative reviews at DOW are about the games speed and difficulty, it is clear a large portion of players would agree that even in the most self proclaimed ultra comp games out there, it is okay and even needed to throw some things in for the casual and realism players.  It is well known anyway that the community always ends up making the best competitive maps.  

For me, I am all for a game simply catering to both.  Make a separate game mode that has all the little tweaks that the other half wants and let the players choose.  For $25, DOW is a solid game and will be a very popular title once released with.  Which by that time you can expect 50+ very playable and enjoyable maps (granted a lot of DODS ports), all kinds of game modes, gameplay/sound/immersion/movement/optimization to where most current players are happy with and expect...  I do not see any scenario this game fails unless the entire Dev team just dropped dead today.  The only thing many of these unfair reviews will accomplish is causing hundreds of people on release day to hold off on buying it and will only get it much later down the road once the player base has thinned out again to just the regulars.  

And believe it or not I am not a DOW die hard.  I stand up for any game, especially EA, that is getting unfair treatment that I happen to enjoy and think they are on the path to making a good game I can see myself playing.  Same goes for BAT44 once it starts taking it's unfair hits.  Head over to Fog of War and see the same thing happening over there. 

All in all, How about let's quit trying to sabotage Days of War and let these two companies push eachother to make the best game.  I literally want both games to be great.  To be the best.  There is obviously going to be competition with the two because they are basically making the same type of game and are advertising it to the same player base.  Why help make one of their jobs easier so they quit reaching higher?  It makes no sense at all.  

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

15 hours ago, xXclusiivE said:

The fact I am putting there name out there is bad enough, I don't want to fully expose them no matter how much I hate that dev team.

Sorry but that's just stupid, anyone can go to Steam and read that...

11 hours ago, xXclusiivE said:

I have already told you through DM why I despise the DOW team so I am not going to go into that again.

You clearly hate and despises them and with the Steam screeny and dev name on there how can you "out" them more??

Edited by Razor
  • Upvote 1

10 hours ago, Razor said:

Sorry but that's just stupid, anyone can go to Steam and read that...

Then go do that?

You clearly hate and despises them and with the Steam screeny and dev name on there how can you "out" them more??

Thanks for repeating me? LOL

Edited by xXclusiivE
  • Downvote 1

Days of War is a timely reminder of how NOT;

to chase kickstarter funding just to get the cash

to build a game from the past that should have stayed in the past

to listen to the toxic elements of your community to the exclusion of all others

to rush a game to early access just to hit deadlines

Edited by Farq-S
  • Upvote 1

Let's learn a lesson from that. It's like with a lot of other games. They always come with "we have a great vision for a game" or "we want to create something that community wants". And then *BOOM*, the game is dead. Because they are like blind and deaf. They do not listen to the community, they are blind to a lot of obvious issues and they fail to do the right steps. I think the problem is, that most of these developers just do it without a real passion for their game. They do it either for a pure vision of profit or because somebody simply told them to. Like there is no way, if you have a passion for something and you do it for a long time, that you have no idea, what you are doing. You simply can't say, that you are creating something for the community and then fail to listen to it. 

On 7/8/2017 at 11:43 PM, DarkMortyr said:

Let's learn a lesson from that. It's like with a lot of other games. They always come with "we have a great vision for a game" or "we want to create something that community wants". And then *BOOM*, the game is dead. Because they are like blind and deaf. They do not listen to the community, they are blind to a lot of obvious issues and they fail to do the right steps. I think the problem is, that most of these developers just do it without a real passion for their game. They do it either for a pure vision of profit or because somebody simply told them to. Like there is no way, if you have a passion for something and you do it for a long time, that you have no idea, what you are doing. You simply can't say, that you are creating something for the community and then fail to listen to it. 

I feel like they all met on the street and was like okay you know how to code, I know how to use the Unreal map editor, lets make some money and bam that's it, total flop. Like even on there website the community manager only post like once ever 3 months.

On 9/7/2017 at 4:13 AM, DarkMortyr said:

Maybe sometimes devs are so passionate about their own idea of how the game should be that it makes them "blind and deaf" to their community's needs

at the end of the day, if you are so deaf and blinded by your own obsession to turn this game into something for your preference, then you cant blame anyone but yourself when you end up the only person playing/liking the game. 

Being a good dev team requires compromise, and good communication with your fan base will tell you everything you need to know and what the direction to take your game.

Clearly these devs were either having internal issues on the direction or just lacked communication with their fan base, what a waste.

I am here to state I agree with the recent hate towards DOW.  I have always been a ardent defender of the game.  Like I have said numerous times, I see EA's for what they are and give them a long leash before coming up with a conclusion.  I still feel DOW has room to become a fairly decent game, but with a small community in the end, however, I do not think I will be one of them anymore.

I have been told over and over again that you assume a risk as a KS backer in that the game can and will change like it is our fault for being gullible instead of passionate players actually putting our money where our mouth is and HELPING a new and promising game.  However, just like a game possibly changing is a risk to us backers, that does not mean it is not a risk to the developers from Kickstarter backers backlash and that is exactly what you see happening now.

Okay...still nothing new.  Its unfortunate., but it happens.  Granted the recent moves from DOW are perhaps larger changes than you normally see in these things...but that is still the risk.

However, here is where my recent 180 on this game comes into play.  Before I backed DOW for a extremely large amount of money to purchase a top clan package....I spoke to them.  I was specifically told everything that would be DIFFERENT than DODS.  Because for us, we liked that it was going to be a game we would instantly feel used to (we where coming out of a HL2 mod)...but more importantly, some different mechanics too.  We where painted an excellent sales pitch apparently and even promised much more than what we ever dreamed of with a actual realism game mode added in by the devs and where asked to start gathering details about the realism mode(s) we wanted to see.  

We where literally talked into supporting them....for around $1000.  

Every single thing promised has since been removed...most coming in the most recent updates.  

---I guess now you guys get a sense of what tips me over the edge.  For the love of God, if you are asking for funding via kickstarter....don't mislead people.  If you do, then expect well deserved backlash.  I still defend EA games and agree they can and are allowed to change without getting too bent out of shape over...but if the funding of the game comes from a KS campaign....you are morally bound to deliver what was promised IMO.  

Actually, I'm not particularly concerned about DoW because I haven't put any money on that horse. However, them hitting such a low and seeing virtually nobody is playing the game anymore - only a couple of months after early access launch! - got me curious as to what is going on over there. So I took some time and had another look at their website, forums and the Kickstarter campaign(s) and tried to figure out myself...

First off, I still don't quite understand what or who Driven Arts is in reality. It looks a lot like there isn't a real company behind that name, but rather a few guys - might be at least a core team of three heads given the number of people introduced during their campaign video - teaming up at one's garage and developing the game in their spare time around some regular day job. Nothing wrong with that of course, but that would explain the overall lack of business sense surrounding the project and kind of putting things into perspective about what one 'realistically' could expect from such an endeavor.

One rather weird thing I happened to discover in the 'press' section of their website is a link being displayed as www.playdaysofwar.com, which underlying URL appears to connect you to a Twitter account of some Steve Gomez, who seems to have no relation to DoW or Driven Arts considering the complete lack of references on his page to anything related to the game. The Twitter page tells he's a Java Script coder, so maybe he's actually the guy who has scripted the page and someone forgot to change the underlying URL of that reference when changing the link-text. Or Mr. Gomez just highjacked the page and left this as a note. I don't know, but quite telling either way...

Secondly, even after reviewing the campaign video a few times now I still don't quite get the idea of their vision for the game. In fact, the whole storyline behind that flick seems to be nothing more than a desperate attempt separating from BAT44's KS campaign and to make Bulkhead look bad somehow. It's kind of funny how the sole purpose of that COD scene - which cuts so awfully into the rest of the video, like a literal afterthought addition - seems to be trying to remind people of how crappy COD has become these days in hopes people might conclude any game taking COD as a role model will necessarily also become such a mess. Well, maybe that is a little far-fetched...

However, they really provide us with a deep look inside their heads by explicitly pointing out how their game was oh so close to being finalized after two years of development already spent (I simply can't believe that being a fully accurate fact actually given the current state of the game) in contrary to some other 'idea that may or may not be here in two years' from then. Now, at this point, I think it's quite obvious what they had on their minds there. Get out earlier than BAT44 and pull people over simply by delivering first. Mind you, they probably weren't even aware of COD going back to WWII at that time, not to speak of the general comeback of WWII shooters in 2017.

Summing it up so far, their primary goal was to get the game out of the door as fast as possible and they even put it exactly like that themselves in the video. Unfortunately, that seems to be the entire plan - let's not say vision at this point. At least, I can't find anything more than them seemingly hoping for being the first bringing back WWII back to FPS with some sort of cheap mash-up of the best features of old school shooters. Nope.. that's not how game design works mates. With that in mind, it seems quite conclusive that instead of providing a more profound explanation of what their - proclaimed to be almost finished - game is, they decided to ask the community taking part in shaping the game. Frankly, that doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me at all and sounds rather contradictory, doesn't it? I mean, if the game is all about being finished, read the core gameplay is settled and mostly fixed, how is it going to work out now to start and try to incorporate a whole lot of new/different ideas...

Which finally brings us to the present day. The latest updates kind of underline how the game indeed hasn't been anywhere near finished at any time so far. Quote from the 'July Dev Update' (12-07-2017):

What is the state of the game?
We are in Early Access, meaning we are still building essential features and refining the core of the game while also creating the bulk of the map content. The game is still very much in development.

Welp, erm... pardon? This most obviously doesn't add up with the central message their KS video was throwing at us and they seemingly have decided not to even keep the tiniest back door open to fall back on that myth anymore. Wow. What an astonishing move altogether. OK, putting things into a more positive light, one might say they have learned their lessons, cut their losses, starting out on a second try with their eyes steadily put on their vision - this time indeed having one, or at least having that one of Valve,  when they still made games back in the day - no matter what.

Yeah, maybe and why not. Past is past and today is today and isn't' everybody bound to make mistakes, right? If luck is on their side, who knows, maybe there will be enough folks giving the game another shot, dragging it back up into life out of the 0-players grave.

In fact, I do believe Driven Arts is on the right track by coming back to where they (should have) started and finally try to identify their niche and start to think about how they can make a difference from the vast range of alike shooters out there. Are they going to screw over some of their 2k backers by that? I'm afraid yes, they will and most likely already have. Are they going to get another batch of players into the game from finally showing profile? I kind of doubt that, but let them prove me wrong...

Finally, no this is not a matter of devs not listening to their community. How even could it be, with such a limited community? Again, there's less than 2k backers and you can consider yourself happy when there's more than 5% of the total of your base audience ever going to show up on your forums. Realize, these guys started out on a damn thin marketing plot of scamming the thirsty WWII FPS enthusiasts, unaware they are far from being the only one on the market targeting that niche. They didn't see it coming and they obviously lack a real vision of what they want to create. Look, they have been on the cheap road, half a rip-off of Day of Defeat, half a mash-up of any other WWII shooter. They said this themselves to some degree on the 'Status Update' (13-06-2017). Now, with their sad attempts reasoning the removal of ADS they even try to jump onto the CS:GO train and run along with that. Their logic, it works for them all right so it got to be an approved concept. Well, you guys over at Driven Arts. If you haven't realized yourself yet, firgging CS:GO is a whole lot more than 'not having ADS'. Got to dig a little deeper there I guess...

Anyway, haven't you been talking about your vision?

On a side note. There seem to be quite a lot of people wetting their pants when looking at such incredible renderings and losing all reasonability. Yep, might look awesome, but that doesn't require any advanced skills on the game developers end. That's basically an Unreal 4 engine show off. Read, anyone can pull off such renderings because all the fancy stuff is done by the engine no matter what low-quality meshes and textures you might feed into. The engine is doing the job and such 'game images' tell nothing about the overall quality you can expect. Quite cheap, maybe even closer to a misleading advertisement than anything else. Anyhow, don't let anyone fool you with some shiny graphics!

--- edit ---

It's been no more than 45 minutes after posting this and the Gomez-Link got fixed. Maybe coincidence only, though.

Edited by RLpacifist
  • Upvote 3

I hoped it would become a great game but actually I expected this.. Don't know why..

The good news:

My expectations about Battalion 1944 are very high and most of my expectations are already reality..

We did put our money on the right horse :D <3 BulkHead

• Upvote 2

7 hours ago, Switz said:

How I feel in a nutshell:

No one did more for the game, in terms of game-promotion, passing on news updates, giving people advice and encouragement, especially new players, etc., than you did, Switz bro. Some folk say, "The DoW Devteam never appointed a Community Manager!", but everyone knows they really didn't have to, because you did it all for them, you did it for free, simply for the love of the game.

I feel really bad for you, amigo, you really don't deserve how they've treated you and your gaming community.

• Upvote 1

On 7/13/2017 at 10:11 PM, WolfEnstein said:

No one did more for the game, in terms of game-promotion, passing on news updates, giving people advice and encouragement, especially new players, etc., than you did, Switz bro. Some folk say, "The DoW Devteam never appointed a Community Manager!", but everyone knows they really didn't have to, because you did it all for them, you did it for free, simply for the love of the game.

I feel really bad for you, amigo, you really don't deserve how they've treated you and your gaming community.

100%..

I may have a strong dislike for the dev team but Switz was always the man who got the info out to the public first, he always had a clear vision and supported the devs 100% from day one. Even DMing myself and telling me to just give it time and things will work out. I feel sorry for @Switz and his group because they where the true supporters of DOW who tried to be positive and help the community 24/7. Driven Arts need to disband because they have already killed the name.

42 minutes ago, WeAsOne said:

Any news about this game or did the devs just run away?

That's the big question, WeAsOne. This mythical "Big October Update!" has never materialised and the ever-dwindling "community" are still as much in the dark now as they ever have been. Here's a link to the last topic on this very subject, over on "Steam": Days of War Update Thread