[DEV] BRAMMERTRON

For consoles: aim assist

52 posts in this topic

Slight aim assist is generally required on console to make games fun, but I think it does remove skill for competitive players.

Instead of aim assist....maybe just enlarge the console hitboxes by 5-10% ?

Posted (edited)

I don't think aim assist is needed. They key here is proper crosshair placement and letting your enemies run into your shots. I'm mainly a PC player but I also own a PS3 and for me MW2 was literally unplayable on console, because it didn't have enaugh options for controlls. Aim assist was always on with no option to disable it. There was no way to bind actions to buttons seperately. You was only able to choose between preset button layouts. When I used sniper zoom the sensitivity instantly lowered itself for no reason and even crosshair placement didn't work, because AA always made my view move towards the direction my enemy was heading to. For example I place my crosshair right beside a corner, then some enemy comes around and moves to the right. Normally he would run directly into my crosshair, I shoot and he would be dead. But not with auto assist. As soon as my enemy (moving right) came close to my crosshair, my crosshair started to move to the right aswell (away from my enemy) resulting in me not hitting the shot. So I think there should never be aim assist, but options for sensitivity, acceleration, zoom-sensitivity and acceleration while zoomed. Maybe even make it possible to have different configurations depending on weapon class. The only 'advantage' you can get from using a joystick is the ability to have a variable player movement speed depending on how far you moved your stick towards an angle, but that has nothing to do with aiming.. And air-strafing on the other hand is a lot harder when using a joystick.

Edited by HaraldQuake