[DEV] BRAMMERTRON

For consoles: aim assist

Sanborn    0

Slight aim assist is generally required on console to make games fun, but I think it does remove skill for competitive players.

Instead of aim assist....maybe just enlarge the console hitboxes by 5-10% ?

HaraldQuake    10

I don't think aim assist is needed. They key here is proper crosshair placement and letting your enemies run into your shots. I'm mainly a PC player but I also own a PS3 and for me MW2 was literally unplayable on console, because it didn't have enaugh options for controlls. Aim assist was always on with no option to disable it. There was no way to bind actions to buttons seperately. You was only able to choose between preset button layouts. When I used sniper zoom the sensitivity instantly lowered itself for no reason and even crosshair placement didn't work, because AA always made my view move towards the direction my enemy was heading to. For example I place my crosshair right beside a corner, then some enemy comes around and moves to the right. Normally he would run directly into my crosshair, I shoot and he would be dead. But not with auto assist. As soon as my enemy (moving right) came close to my crosshair, my crosshair started to move to the right aswell (away from my enemy) resulting in me not hitting the shot. So I think there should never be aim assist, but options for sensitivity, acceleration, zoom-sensitivity and acceleration while zoomed. Maybe even make it possible to have different configurations depending on weapon class. The only 'advantage' you can get from using a joystick is the ability to have a variable player movement speed depending on how far you moved your stick towards an angle, but that has nothing to do with aiming.. And air-strafing on the other hand is a lot harder when using a joystick.

Edited by HaraldQuake

Boblaaaam    3
On 4/28/2017 at 9:28 AM, Sanborn said:

Slight aim assist is generally required on console to make games fun, but I think it does remove skill for competitive players.

Instead of aim assist....maybe just enlarge the console hitboxes by 5-10% ?

That's not true at all, ever since I found out what aim assist was years ago I've always disabled it first thing before playing and had tons of fun I disabled it in Battlefield 3, Blacklight Retribution, Battlefield Bad Company 2 and Black Ops and I am a good player that regularly finishes first in matches and if not first then one of the top players on the team. Enlarged hitboxes no way, nothing needs to be done except having the option to disable aim assist and having the ability to play away from the casual aim assist players that don't even realize they don't need aim assist and it messes them up, but developers keep putting it in making the game play bogus and having them believe they need it.

If your going to have lame assist then there should be casual and normal, casual has all the bogus aim assist and normal doesn't have any.

Boblaaaam    3
On 5/12/2017 at 7:18 AM, HaraldQuake said:

I don't think aim assist is needed. They key here is proper crosshair placement and letting your enemies run into your shots. I'm mainly a PC player but I also own a PS3 and for me MW2 was literally unplayable on console, because it didn't have enaugh options for controlls. Aim assist was always on with no option to disable it. There was no way to bind actions to buttons seperately. You was only able to choose between preset button layouts. When I used sniper zoom the sensitivity instantly lowered itself for no reason and even crosshair placement didn't work, because AA always made my view move towards the direction my enemy was heading to. For example I place my crosshair right beside a corner, then some enemy comes around and moves to the right. Normally he would run directly into my crosshair, I shoot and he would be dead. But not with auto assist. As soon as my enemy (moving right) came close to my crosshair, my crosshair started to move to the right aswell (away from my enemy) resulting in me not hitting the shot. So I think there should never be aim assist, but options for sensitivity, acceleration, zoom-sensitivity and acceleration while zoomed. Maybe even make it possible to have different configurations depending on weapon class. The only 'advantage' you can get from using a joystick is the ability to have a variable player movement speed depending on how far you moved your stick towards an angle, but that has nothing to do with aiming.. And air-strafing on the other hand is a lot harder when using a joystick.

I tried to visualize what you are saying and you are saying that the aim assist pushed your crosshair which was in front of the person away from them in the direction that they were moving which was right? Yeah that would be because of the aim assist bubble also known as the aim assist wall, you would have had to aim through that to hit the guy in that situation so you would have had to hold left on the stick as they ran close to your crosshair which is ridiculous, also in general hope that no one runs in front of your line of sight while your trying to aim at someone like that.

I want to say Battlefield Bad Company 2 was when my eyes were first opened to aim assist because it was an option you could disable in the options, I think I disabled it because I was like I don't need help aiming because it said "Let the game help you to aim" under aim assist so I disabled it but not knowing what it truly was and did still. I think I truly discovered what aim assist was during Black Ops because I noticed my crosshairs moving by themselves when I was in a building thought it was weird and so I researched what was happening online and found out it was because of aim assist along with all the other bogus stuff aim assist does and so I disabled it and was comparing what it was like with it on and off by aiming across people for the aim assist slowdown and just testing it, I think I tested the snap onto target as well and I just noticed how much freer and better my aim felt with it disabled and during this time of research I discovered that quick scoping in Modern Warfare 2 was people taking advantage of the aim assist snap on so you ran around pressing L1 to snap on to someone then R1 to shoot without aiming so it was fake aim assist quickscoping, then there is real quick scoping which I did throughout BF3 without aim assist.

However the order of events I found out what aim assist was and ever since then I have been disabling it first thing and adjusting my sensitivity before playing anything.

2 hours ago, RUDLAR said:

If you wan't to get this pumped up you'll need aim assist, pretty sure

What? No.

Sakura!    1

Dear developer team, first off all I want to gratulate you for the work you already did and for the path you have chosen, to develop a game, back to the roots.

With this said, I would like to introduce my self before I reply to this discussion. I'm 34, a quality engineer working with preventive solutions, I'm a competitive gaming veteran since 2002. Actually I did start my gaming career with americas army 1.2.1. I played that game in CAL, ESL, TWL and goarmy a german ladder system. After these period it came what usually comes to everybody's life. We grow up, education, work, kids... I switched from pc gaming to console gaming but continued my gaming career. Started with CoD Hardcore Search & Destroy, which I played successfully throughout different leagues and CoD versions.  Also Battlefield was played on a competitive base and I still do, just with BF1 these days.

My concern is that you downgrade the skill curve for console players. Actually a lot of us former PC gamer switched over to consoles for different reasons (money, family, time, cheater...), what we dislike is the circumstance that we are forced to play with aim assistance. The worst example is BF1. The slow down is somehow a fair support as long as you play with usual dual shock controllers. The snap aim (auto rotation) assist downgrades public gaming and is tailored to "casual" gamers. I thought that battalion want to go another direction? Back to roots. Skil. So why even think about any aim assist? Current competitive leagues in BF1 disable the snap aiming and it works fine. But it also puts some other salt into the game -> XIM gamer.

What is it and why is it always a discussion and how can you provide a solution?

First of all, I think we all can agree that using mouse and keyboard for FPS gaming is common sense, its like fighting sticks, steering wheels etc. When it comes down to console gaming we are entering a grey zone which is one of the biggest problems now a days. The old fashion console gamer, who usual is glued on his couch wont accept other console gamer using monitor, high definition audio devices and mouse & keyboard. BUT Sony themselves allow native support for mouse & keyboard on their console, leaving it up to developers to make use of it. Games like FF online, and even CS:GO on PS3 made use of it. Also Sony let third party hard ware developers sell Sony licensed products as the HORI Tac Pro (a mouse emulating device combined with keyboard). As developers for CoD, Battlefield or Overwatch does not support MnK, people uses these devices or even invest more money to effort a XIM4 (emulating hardware) to make use of gaming mouse and keyboard. We had a loooong forum discussion in battlefield PS4 about this.

Nothing can prevent you and me from using any emulating device, and I dont care about for what kind of reason you would use it. If its because you have a decease, lost a finger, small hands, just feel more comfortable, because you are used to it, because former pc gamer or because you think you can gain any advantage over usual controller gamer. All this isn't what counts. What counts is, it cant be detected, its available and people will use it. Its the same history as with SCUF. From banned, to official supported in tournaments. Console gamers are just way behind the PC gaming scene. So what can you do on both topics??  

1. Dont add aim assistance in form of snap aiming to any ranked mode for PS4

2. Official support MnK usage for console gamers to lower the amount of grey zone users to a minimum (you cant prevent, but you try to lower)

3. Go the way as CS:GO tried on PS3, support gaming lobbies for MnK vs MnK  and MnK vs Controller so its up to the user base to decide

Again, console gamers are crying about AAA games downgrade skill curves, they want something that is harder, at the same time we got that MnK growing "problem" which is a grey zone and its better to get it into the light.

Kind regards.

• Upvote 1

Farq-S    378
7 minutes ago, [VS-UK]Gom3R said:

I think all code that has to do with assists should be avoided. This is the kind of stuff cheat creaters abuse isnt it? 

the PC and console versions are completely separate builds (ie, not ports) so i wouldn't expect there to be aim-assist code added to the PC version unless it is added for controller support.

i'm assuming you're referring to cheat creators on PC for creating aim-bots as i've never seen aim-bots on console. i don't even think that's possible on console. if you're referring to the use of M&K on console, if it's supported on console i don't see that as cheating even though i personally think its unfair and you'd have to be pretty lame if you had to use M&K on console unless you were physically impaired in some way. 

solaze    11

Haven't played console fps since 2010 before i made the permanent switch to PC.

I'd say some sort of aim-assist is almost a must. Some of the cod games had the option to turn off aim assist and it does not feel fluent to play and it just emphasizes the issues with raw joystick aim. Just my opinion though, I'll be playing the game on PC but just from previous experience I can't imagine playing a console fps without some type of aim-assist.

Farq-S    378
On 5/5/2016 at 8:47 AM, [DEV] BRAMMERTRON said:

Hey guys, I wanted to see your opinion on aim assist!

Personally, I think it's something console gamers need more than they think. They've been conditioned to use it and Battalion will have a lot of one shot rifles compared to current shooters on console. This means spray and pray, although it has its place, will only be part of the firing mechanics in Battalion, you'll have to use precision a lot more as well.

Anyway, let me know what you think.

Joe

is it possible to make aim-assist active only when you ADS/zoom in and inactive when in hip-fire mode or is it all or nothing? still trying to come up with ideas to reduce the reliance on aim-assist.

Xtreem    13

I would say make aim assist but with the option to turn it off. Make it so the aim assist helps the player by ?% and for those who want to play without it will have the option to do so

Dark    52
On 5/16/2016 at 8:13 PM, VictordVos said:

Yes please! I would then at least have a chance on not getting my anus stretched by people better than me.

Victor

Isn't that the goal of a competitive shooter? Having one team that's "getting their anuses stretched" and one team that is the better one ;) 

skitelo    52

4 minutes ago, Dark said:

Isn't that the goal of a competitive shooter? Having one team that's "getting their anuses stretched" and one team that is the better one

It is on PC. Console version will be, well, "different" :D

Dark    52
23 hours ago, skitelo said:

It is on PC. Console version will be, well, "different" :D

yeah console is less skilled ;) 

skitelo    52
18 hours ago, Dark said:

yeah console is less skilled

I just didn't want to start another 'console vs pc' war :D But yes, i agree.