[DEV] BRAMMERTRON

For consoles: aim assist

Samir02392    2

As a PS4 and PC gamer I think the PS4 would definitely benefit from aim assist. Makes the game a bit more fun and balanced. It's hard enough with it for me on Battlefield let alone without it. :lol:

woess    2

hmm i'm actually suprised the devs care about aim assist on consoles

i actually abondend the forum after my first thread and thought nobody cares here

btw: here is my old thread with some questions i had

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=161

so here are my 2 cents:

i think i played a lot of fps on consoles to give nice feedback about what works and what not

so first of all, yes console players need an aim assist.

BUUUUUUUUUUUT, it must be done right!!!!! there are games which have a strong aim assist and it completelly takes out skill out of the game and makes it a random game where you dont need to controll the recoil anymore or the aimassist even hinders you to controll the recoil or aim at the targed

so there are different aim assists in console games today

1: snap assist

2: targed assist

------------------------------------------------------------------------

1. snap assist

the snaps assist, snaps at the enemy. if you are aiming near the enemy from the hips and than you'll go to the ads, it will snap at the enemy... so it basically it will catch the enemy for you... and you dont need to aim precisely at all... in such games there is no skill involved to play good. it's mostly snap, shoot, dead

snap assist also creates a balance problem within the game... the playerbase starts to play weapons which shoot fast (high rpm) (rounds per minute) and are some kind of accurate... to abuse that mechanic... so people use the snap assist, than instantly spray with the weapon and hope to get the kill without aiming for the head or controlling the recoil, because the snap assist catches the enemy and your high rpm weapon does the rest with it's first 1-3 bullets

so i absolutely do not recommend to use snap assist in the game if you want to make the game skill based (if you want to make another shitty console game, go for it)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

2: targed assist

the targed assist slows down your aiming "movement", if you aim at the targed

this is the only assist players need on console. but there are also bad and good examples of it

the bad example of this assist: if the assist it to strong. so if you aim at the targed at your normal sensivity and than you'll go to ads the assist is sooo strong that you can't even aim anymore.... so this perfectly works with the snap assist(in a very bad way). you snap on the targed and than you just spray because you can't make anything wrong now... there is no need to aim or controll the recoil at all in such games...

the other problem the targed assist has are to big assist zones on the player model... so the assist starts even before you are aiming at the enemy player models. the player models have an "halo" around them where the assist starts... so making an strong assist and adding on top of that the snap assist will make your game just another shitty console game without any skill involved

-----------------------------------------------------

now the good example on how the assist should work:

like i said before the targed assist should not be too strong, but just a slightly help to aim at the targed and it should only start, if you are aiming at the model

well the assist "halo" can be bigger as the model but the assist should not be too strong to hinder your aiming

here is an good example

the last of us remastered is a good example for a good aim assist and bc2 is also a very good example for good aim assis. in these games you can aim percisely and you can controll the recoil of the weapons... and whats also important is that these assist do not aim for the player

you should play these games to test these aimassists

you also need to make the game feel and play good...

in addition to the targed assist your game needs bigger stick deadzones and a little bit different acceleration curve for the aiming mechanics to work very good with your assist

here is a good document to see different deadzones (compare them to bc2 ones)

https://drive.google.com/folderview?id= ... eb&ddrp=1#

the aiming acceleration curves... most of the games have a to strong acceleration while in ads... you should avoid that.. a to strong acceleration makes aiming precisely to difficult and it hinders you to controll the recoil.....

i think a gave some good examples on how to make a decent aim assist on consoles

and guys(devs) please dont force players to play with preset deadzones which people can't change... add option to change the deadzones and add options for the acceleration

so there should be 3 options in the final game player should be able to change

deadzones

acceleration curves

sensibility(x,y)

good luck guys... i still hope you can come up with a decent console game

• Upvote 2

i think i played a lot of fps on consoles to give nice feedback about what works and what not

so first of all, yes console players need an aim assist.

BUUUUUUUUUUUT, it must be done right!!!!! there are games which have a strong aim assist and it completelly takes out skill out of the game and makes it a random game where you dont need to controll the recoil anymore or the aimassist even hinders you to controll the recoil or aim at the targed

Yep, I totally agree. And I only edited this down to save space

Sl3ipner    0

@woess: good post!

Question to all: Is is possible to differentiate Aim Assist per weapon? Im thinking single shot (bolt action) versus automatic weapons.

Question to all: Is is possible to differentiate Aim Assist per weapon? Im thinking single shot (bolt action) versus automatic weapons.

I think the recoil of automatic weapons would normally throw the shot away from the assist area, or it would not function during firing (the initial shot is autoaimed, but then the fall of shot has to be manually controlled afterwards.

Weeder76    1

I Think AIM Assist is a VERY bad idea, If you truly want a analog Feel to the game DONT do it, ill be Very sad if it gets implemented into the game. it take the " SKILL " Out of the game then . Just my opinion because did Call of Duty 2 have aim assist NO ! Just saying look back at the SOLE reason your making the game, analog is analog no aim assist PLEASE !

• Upvote 1

woess    2

sniper weapons especially 6x and higher scopes should not have aim assist at all, because the aim assist mostly hinders you in such scopes to aim precisely for the head...

if the deadzones and acceleration curves are done right, you can easily aim precisely in 6x and higher scopes without any aim assist

Speirs    1

I once tried to play Battlefield Hardline on PC with a Xbox One controller. It was god awful. Since there was no aim assist, I couldn't hit the broad side of a barn. So, with that being said for console players they are 100% going to need aim assist. And if cross platforming happens, PC vs Consoles, well... console users better just go ahead and switch to the master race.

• Upvote 1

Subbie    1

Hey Peeps

if your aiming for cross platform gaming well for one there will be no aim assist, for the Xbox1 as the developers will have keyboard and mouse support for it by the time batt44 arrives. also the Xbox1 developers are just itching at the bit for this to happen.

And NO chance in hell for the Ps4 as the console already has keyboard and mouse ability,

but i don`t know if the Ps4 servers has even ability for cross platform with the PC.

Xbox1

http://www.xboxoneuk.com/xbox-one/news/ ... l-spencer/

Sony Ps4

https://www.epicgames.com/paragon/forum ... ge2#post_0

WeAsOne    220
On Sunday, May 08, 2016 at 6:10 PM, Cryptor! said:

Aim Assist [YES] >>> CONSOLES ONLY

Absolutely NO Aim Assist on PC Please!

Exactly!

vozER    109

I'd still say no to aim assists, let the skills decide either you live or not.

Edited by vozER
  • Downvote 1

Disfunkd    11

the direction the game is going, it seams to be aimed at the enthusiast/purist of FPS players. so minimal AA at best

The big problem you have to contend with on this matter is this.

in BF1 if you are using an SLR scoped in on a target and there are multiple enemies on your screen, AA & Snap to target make it almost impossible to kill a clustered group as AA and snap to are always interfering with your aim buggering it up. snapping from one player to another

my suggestion to fix this happening in your game is simple

AA snap to enemy only happens on the initial scope so you zoom in as long as you are within a foot of your enemy it snaps to centre mass, then thats it. you are required to aim yourself after that allowing you take down multiple enemies that are in close proximity 

secondly there is nothing worse that been zoomed on a target ready to shoot them, then all of a sudden an enemy runs behind them causing the AA to snap to them instead

AA has to be minimal.... please don't bow down to pressure to release a game with horrific OP AA

Farq-S    371
33 minutes ago, Disfunkd said:

AA & Snap to target make it almost impossible to kill a clustered group as AA and snap to are always interfering with your aim buggering it up. snapping from one player to another

there's an option in the BF1 advanced controls menu to disable AA snapping to targets. i've used it and my aim no longer gets dragged away from my selected target.

Disfunkd    11
4 minutes ago, Farq-S said:

there's an option in the BF1 advanced controls menu to disable AA snapping to targets. i've used it and my aim no longer gets dragged away from my selected target.

i will look into that thanks!

Seabeefly    0
On 5/5/2016 at 1:51 PM, Shaldag said:

No quickscoping at all or dolphin diving or bunny hoping please or why make a game that is too CODlike in the worst ways. Or penalise it , with stamina or slower movement.

Temper aim assist, add recoil , and suppression effect to balance it. Bf3 had it almost right the first time before they nerffed it

Or just give the combo options through game servers with Hardcore, Realism etc or whatever you decide to call the diff settings.

The lower common denominator of arcady shooters just dumbs down the gameplay.

I could see mechanics that take the best of COD, BF

Think twice and choose wisely:)

Agreed!!!!!

Yeah, I have no issues with aim assist on consoles as the crutch has been there for too long.  You would be putting your players (and your game) at a disadvantage by not having it.   That being said, it has absolutely NO PLACE on PC versions of the game.  I don't care if the player is using a console controller or not, aim assist shouldn't be an option.

We're running into this on BF1 right now - Aim assist is available on PC for those who use a controller and there are plenty of people doing so just for aim assist.  It's like dev endorsed hacking, and utterly ridiculous.

Farq-S    371

the most recent example i know of no aim assist in a console game was Killzone: Shadowfall. the guns felt weighty and powerful and the shooting mechanics felt really good. most of the maps were medium to small and player count ranged from 6v6 to 12v12. in that respect, the game in terms of map size is closer to Bat44 than a BF game would be. despite various attempts in BF games the aim assist in BF1 is still too high (subject of a recent YT vid i found).

having the ability to disable aim assist isn't an viable option because it usually puts you at a serious disadvantage against players who have it enabled. no aim assist really heightens the skill ceiling and separates the casual player from the player whose invested time in the game. 

if there's any way aim assist can be left out of the console version, give it serious consideration. if it has to be in please keep it as subtle as you can.

Boblaaaam    3

No no Aim Assist at all it ruins the experience and makes playing harder by sticking to players, snapping onto someone you don't care about and following someone you don't care about throwing off your aim, all experienced players know this, aim assist is annoying and shouldn't be there.

Edited by Boblaaaam
  • Upvote 1

Division    1

Aim assist on consoles, I don't care.  But no way in hell should it be on the PC.

Assist has a lot of drawbacks, like unskilled "lock on" and automatically tempers or even eliminates recoil effects.   Depending on how it's implemented, it's damn near a built in aimbot.

Personally I'd say no to all aim assist.   And the Xbox One and PS4 actually have the ability to use a mouse and keyboard.....it's up to the designers of the game to offer it.   So I say give them the option.   Hell, you could even market a "PC Master Race" edition for the consoles that is a box set with a mouse and keyboard.

If we can get just one game dev to open up to a mouse / keyboard on consoles, it could start a small change in the landscape. 

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

WeAsOne    220

I think the only way mouse and (some sort of) keyboard will make it on consoles: Xbox and PS need to make their own ones. Official ones..

It's not up to the developers of the games I think.. Well maybe they could start the discussion but that's all

Don't see it happen tbh...

FrosteR    185

The last time I played an FPS on console was Socom 2 on PS2 online. Aim assist didn't exist back then and nobody really needed it. I don't see why it would be needed nowadays because I think the 12 year olds playing FPS on console nowadays are way better at it than 12 year old me playing console back then.

For the people saying ''Don't put aim assist on PC'': It will obviously never be added to a PC version, that shouldn't even be a concern to anyone haha.

Edited by FrosteR
  • Upvote 1

Boblaaaam    3
3 hours ago, Division said:

Aim assist on consoles, I don't care.  But no way in hell should it be on the PC.

Assist has a lot of drawbacks, like unskilled "lock on" and automatically tempers or even eliminates recoil effects.   Depending on how it's implemented, it's damn near a built in aimbot.

Personally I'd say no to all aim assist.   And the Xbox One and PS4 actually have the ability to use a mouse and keyboard.....it's up to the designers of the game to offer it.   So I say give them the option.   Hell, you could even market a "PC Master Race" edition for the consoles that is a box set with a mouse and keyboard.

If we can get just one game dev to open up to a mouse / keyboard on consoles, it could start a small change in the landscape. 

You should care,  aim assist is bogus and shouldn't be added anywhere PC or console. I always disable aim assist when I play multiplayer. Everything about aim assist is a drawback from snaping onto the wrong someone or something that you don't care about to following someone you don't care about pulling you off target while aimed in. Aim assist ruins controller play just like it would with a mouse where you would feel like you hit a wall while looking or aiming around plus the other stuff I mentioned.

• Upvote 2

TeeDoff23    0

Give me the bare minimum aim assist on console. I mainly play Battlefield and have it turned off, although it still persists and has moved my aim with more than one target. 

If we have plenty of one hit rifles, as eluded to in the initial post, then players spamming aim and shoot will have a huge advantage and force everyone to play the same way - plenty of BF1 videos with the Martini-Henry and players doing just that.