[DEV] BRAMMERTRON

For consoles: aim assist

Hey guys, I wanted to see your opinion on aim assist!

Personally, I think it's something console gamers need more than they think. They've been conditioned to use it and Battalion will have a lot of one shot rifles compared to current shooters on console. This means spray and pray, although it has its place, will only be part of the firing mechanics in Battalion, you'll have to use precision a lot more as well.

Anyway, let me know what you think.

Joe

Yes, I think we should have aim assist and for the exact reasons you stated. If it was present day it may be easier without it but like you said we have bolt action rifles and no aim assist may discourage people from using them. Then the battlefield wouldn't be diverse and everyone would run around spraying with MG's hoping to get lucky.

Farq-S    371

i say yes to aim assist but please use the minimum you can get away with so it is barely noticeable. for reference, i remember BF3 having it set about right and BF4 having it set too high. now this might be a really stupid question but does the aim assist track to the head or to the body? or is it more complicated than that? my logic says it should track to centre mass so the player would have to make adjustments to aim for the head. i ask because my preference would be no aim assist at all but it's an absolutely fair point that there will be alot of single shot weapons that will be outgunned by automatic weapons if there were no aim assist. i'm also very mindful of quickscoping if aim assist is too strong.

Shaldag    2

No quickscoping at all or dolphin diving or bunny hoping please or why make a game that is too CODlike in the worst ways. Or penalise it , with stamina or slower movement.

Temper aim assist, add recoil , and suppression effect to balance it. Bf3 had it almost right the first time before they nerffed it

Or just give the combo options through game servers with Hardcore, Realism etc or whatever you decide to call the diff settings.

The lower common denominator of arcady shooters just dumbs down the gameplay.

I could see mechanics that take the best of COD, BF

Think twice and choose wisely:)

• Downvote 2

On PC I'm bad but on console I'm just worst. And loving play sniper (or with single bolt action rifle) I've already seen that the console gamepad aren't optimal.

I think that a little bit aim assist (on console) can help, but I'll make the difference (or not)... aim assist must assist the player and not replace the skills.

A player must give the right "force" on the sticks.

But... as Farq-S:

What would you aim with your aim assistance? Would you make simply a larger hitbox or "move the aim" on specifics part of body?

An other little question, that is, I think, potentially related with your question:

We would have to aim "over" heads or "anticipate the mouvements"?

I hope to yes, to give more impact at skills, but if it's so, how can "aim-assist" work?

OK... sorry for this post, probably hard to understand... I'm to tired and drunked to make a better post :mrgreen:

WolfEnstein    213
After a few beers i need all the aim assist i can get :lol:

qMf5zQ0.gif

:lol:

Sorry, Joe, I can't help you with this one, I've been a PC-only gamer for the past 13 years or so :| .

Farq-S    371
CH_SwissWolf":3oh6qcg5]

But... as Farq-S:

What would you aim with your aim assistance? Would you make simply a larger hitbox or "move the aim" on specifics part of body?

An other little question, that is, I think, potentially related with your question:

We would have to aim "over" heads or "anticipate the mouvements"?

I hope to yes, to give more impact at skills, but if it's so, how can "aim-assist" work?

OK... sorry for this post, probably hard to understand... I'm to tired and drunked to make a better post :mrgreen:

i think i understand your question Swisswolf. i might be completely wrong in saying this but in most FPS games i've played on console the aim assist slows your weapon's movement as the reticule sweeps across the target. in CoD games the hitbox for the head is quite big making it easier to one-shot with a high damage weapon. i just wanted to understand if it was possible to not have the aim assist for the head hitbox to reduce its reliance for getting headshots.

upuranus    1

As long as this is not ever going to be a cross platform game, I am all for aim assist on the consoles.

As a PC player, I just wouldn't ever want to be in a position to have to compete against it, even if it was easily defeatable. It just wouldn't seem like any sort of level playing field.

Razor    370

I would say no, let skills decide the outcome of the game, not all sorts of assistance

• Upvote 2

Jester    5

I'd say yeah, personally.

But give the SMGs a little less than any others, or make them less powerful, otherwise it's just going to be an SMG fest, like MW2.

It's nice not to have to worry about the PC side of things, with consoles it's always a little awkward, especially with the rifles, as the controls aren't as good and practical as a keyboard and mouse.

as long as they go by the COD 2 game play feel as far as Weapon Accuracy , all will be Golden.... looks like both this game and DoW are Letting COD 2 lead the way... witch tells me they are both very very Smart lol

Farq-S    371

Deadzones: if there is a scaling option available for adjusting deadzones in controller thumbsticks does it reduce the need for aim-assist? is there even a relationship between deadzone scaling and aim-assist? or is deadzone scaling more related to sensitivity?

CH_SwissWolf":bv1gt7tk]

i think i understand your question Swisswolf. i might be completely wrong in saying this but in most FPS games i've played on console the aim assist slows your weapon's movement as the reticule sweeps across the target. in CoD games the hitbox for the head is quite big making it easier to one-shot with a high damage weapon. i just wanted to understand if it was possible to not have the aim assist for the head hitbox to reduce its reliance for getting headshots.

Sorry for the delay Farq-S.

Mhhh, I don't know if it will slows the weapon or if it is more like a "magnet"... Anyway I'll still interested to know how Devs are thinking to manage that on consoles. :)

Joejitsu":2x8tw8c9]Hey guys, I wanted to see your opinion on aim assist!

Personally, I think it's something console gamers need more than they think. They've been conditioned to use it and Battalion will have a lot of one shot rifles compared to current shooters on console. This means spray and pray, although it has its place, will only be part of the firing mechanics in Battalion, you'll have to use precision a lot more as well.

Anyway, let me know what you think.

Joe

What kind of aim assist do you mean? Autolock, as in ADS near the enemy and it auto locks on, or a soft one that tries to account for the inaccuracy of the thumbsticks on consoles? The latter is fine, but I play on console and I want my aiming to be as much of me as possible, not the game saying "There you go, here's a headshot for you." This would make it too CoD/BF4 for me. Just try to keep it as minimal as possible.

I would say no, let skills decide the outcome of the game, not all sorts of assistance

It depends on the type for me. Auto-lock aim assist, as in CoD campaigns, is not a good idea, and needs to be as much about the player as possible. I want my play to be as much about me as possible, not the game going "this one hits, this one misses, that hits" etc.

UKWarrior    0

Personally, I say no to aim assist.

I dont play consoles, I'm a 100% pc gamer and prefer realism.

Always aim down the sights, it's a skill game, no aim assist in real war ! ;)

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

blswa    0

Joe

What kind of aim assist do you mean? Autolock, as in ADS near the enemy and it auto locks on, or a soft one that tries to account for the inaccuracy of the thumbsticks on consoles? The latter is fine, but I play on console and I want my aiming to be as much of me as possible, not the game saying "There you go, here's a headshot for you." This would make it too CoD/BF4 for me. Just try to keep it as minimal as possible.

Totally agree. My thoughts exactly. [emoji1303]

Sl3ipner    0

Aim aissist on consoles for sure.

Not that easy to wish for weak or strong AA, as long as the game mechanics still are unknown.

But we know that there will be (and should be) lots of bolt rifle action.

Now, even with Battlefield4' strong AA, you just try and take a bolt rifle to war.. Sure, quick scoping exists and even youtubes with fantastic performances. But I play BF4 on a daily basis, and quick scopers are seldom seen. If it were that darn effective everybody would run around and quick scoping, for sure..

Just try and get plus scores with a DMR without hiding in a corner, feasible yes but not easy.

If MGs and MPs isnt going to be über in 1944, you darn well have to help the bolt action, end of story.

Another thing is of course Mouse on consoles. It a kind of "no subject", but very much in exsistance. More so now that Sony have officially licensed the first Mouse combo for PS4 (Splitfish). Without AA classic controllers are toast.

morgawr    2

Never for the pc, aim assist ruins games, it was a lot of fun learning how all the weapons work in coduo and learning to control them, I've tried gaming on a console and I understand the need for aim assist, I just can't control that game pad, a keyboard and mouse strangely have a fantastic balance and aim assist for the pc is nothing more than a PERK.