e4sYy

Record a demo during the tournament.

33 posts in this topic

@BattleNonSense : Good explanation. :mrgreen:

I never think about it but what is the size of a demo on server side and is it requiering a lot of ressources (for the server) ?

It would be nice to get server side option because it is the most complete.

I never think about it but what is the size of a demo on server side and is it requiering a lot of ressources (for the server) ?

IIRC a 64 player match that ran for ~20 minutes generated a demo file of ~15MB at demoquality=10

Back at the day (2005) the server owner had to pay the gameserver provider extra to have a demo quality of 10. Standard was "5".

In game recording is a good idea.

Save's having to install another app to do it.

It must record what the gamer is actually seeing on their screen which can also be used as proof in a clan match.

It also has to be light on the computer so it doesn't add lag spikes to the game.

But must be smooth as silk in use while playing.

Also comes in handy to record cheats before they are banned.

I'll back this just because it's useful in so many ways.

On ‎13‎/‎03‎/‎2016 at 1:31 PM, wraith36 said:

In game recording is a good idea.

Save's having to install another app to do it.

It must record what the gamer is actually seeing on their screen which can also be used as proof in a clan match.

It also has to be light on the computer so it doesn't add lag spikes to the game.

But must be smooth as silk in use while playing.

Also comes in handy to record cheats before they are banned.

I'll back this just because it's useful in so many ways.

recording what someone has on there screen is very dodgy ground and may well be illegal in some areas, it is also massively intensive as far as computer power and bandwidth, never gonna happen.

As far as demos for catching cheats there are very few options that cover any but all the most inexperienced and noobish cheats, most demos are recorded by actions in game to keep filesize down, think of it like a jpeg file, to remove evidence of cheating simply play back that demo on a  clean machine, no trace..

I have mentioned this on other threads but the only real option is one that allows playback of demos with wall textures removed, in this even the most proficient cheat will eventually give himself away by "reacting" to something he cannot see, even then one guy I estimate it took about 30hrs of recording him in bits.

maddog-b

All good points maddog. Lets hope the cheats find something else to play and keep this game clean.

It's most basic form is 'done' 

We've programmed it, but we have some work to do to make it as good as modern games. But you can literally record out footage. But we're trying to build in a 'theatre mode' similar to how the Call of Duty demo viewer worked except its built into the game instead of an external piece of software (See CSGO for example). 

There are quite a lot of factors limiting how well this works, performance being one but right now there isn't a perf hit. Viewing other players perspectives is a difficult thing to do here, but we're looking into it. Certainly at alpha it won't be in, but I can't say it will be for early access. 

Battalion has a long life and the next year will rely on you guys to let us know what features work and what features need to be added.

Thanks
Joe

19 hours ago, wraith36 said:

maddog-b

All good points maddog. Lets hope the cheats find something else to play and keep this game clean.

oh we wish, but the truth is as soon as it's out there will be a race to hack it, have a google there is already someone demoing a wallhack for the unreal4 engine and bf1 which is a very "big money"  and newish title has a few working and undetected hacks out already.

there seems to be an infinite amount of reasons why people make and use cheats and imo that seems to indicate a strong need for a multifaceted approach to catching/dissuading them..

and one could ask why if the points are all good there are several "down votes" on that post...

18 hours ago, [DEV] BRAMMERTRON said:

It's most basic form is 'done' 

We've programmed it, but we have some work to do to make it as good as modern games. But you can literally record out footage. But we're trying to build in a 'theatre mode' similar to how the Call of Duty demo viewer worked except its built into the game instead of an external piece of software (See CSGO for example). 

There are quite a lot of factors limiting how well this works, performance being one but right now there isn't a perf hit. Viewing other players perspectives is a difficult thing to do here, but we're looking into it. Certainly at alpha it won't be in, but I can't say it will be for early access. 

Battalion has a long life and the next year will rely on you guys to let us know what features work and what features need to be added.

Thanks
Joe

nice but I hope the basic and theatre mode are kept separate, for the demo playback to be of any use to admins is that it can be viewed in a "clean" mode.

Demos are an absolute must for any competitive game.