Arcaneshot

Battalion 1944 future.

i dont feel right being able to post this as i havent even logged on the same since about 2 weeks after release. i just felt bad seing there ads on facebook recieving so much hate. so thought id give you some advice. if the game really is struggling bad then from my point of view what id work on the most is how it looks and feels.

because the game is good, we all like SnD for its competitive. however i disagree with the loud footsteps as bomb rotations were simpler in cod4 but never the less. games decent. the aspect of it anyway. wartide/connectivity/maps/guns is another topic. 

but the game looks shit. it just looks fuckin shit lol. i dont meen to be rude. but everytime i see some decent player upload frags on the game im just thinking this looks shit, its a good game so im dissapointed with this shitty look it has because its such a turn off. frag movies are unenjoyable too watch and in essense it just doesnt advertise well. everytime i now see the game it instantly sparks just a very unintrested feeling too play it. even though when im realistic it wasent that bad. still not coming back though for a while.... 

• Upvote 1

It's not about how the game looks like or how "ugly" it looks like. It's about the core mechanics.

Peoples haven't leave the game just because of the look or because of WW2 scenario. They have left the game because something is really messed up with the game. And I can promise you... it's not the look of the game itself.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

The look of the game is within how it feels, it feels sluggish and like your playing on a calculator. therefor in videos when people are recording the game. it looks shit also ;/

if the developers made it look like far cry 5 then the "pros" will find a way to make it look crappy by tuning off all the graphical effects to squeeze an extra fps anyway :)

• Upvote 2

probably because ya average decent player plays everything low foliage off 100 res quality... and probably half of thise decent players are playing stretched aswell which makea it look even worse... most decent players dont really care how it looks

• Downvote 3

WTF does a games graphics have to do with how it plays? animations yes, but graphics. if you want something great to watch go on netflix. a game like strafe looks like it was made in the 80s but it plays well. fortnite is 3rd person and looks like a cartoon but it plays well. overwatch looks like a cartoon but its one of the best playing fps games of recent years. the one thing that all these games have in common is first class animations. graphics is down to personal taste and has no bearing on how a game plays.

Edited by Farq-S
  • Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Farq-S said:

WTF does a games graphics have to do with how it plays? animations yes, but graphics. if you want something great to watch go on netflix. a game like strafe looks like it was made in the 80s but it plays well. fortnite is 3rd person and looks like a cartoon but it plays well. overwatch looks like a cartoon but its one of the best playing fps games of recent years. the one thing that all these games have in common is first class animations. graphics is down to personal taste and has no bearing on how a game plays.

I think the main problem with Battalion's graphics is not that it doesn't look photorealistic or anything, in my opinion the main problem is that it doesn't look visually appealing like games such as OW or even old CoDs do. It doesn't have anything to do with how the game plays but it's certantly a bummer that a game made in 2017/2018 with UE4 looks worse than old CoDs or ,to make another more approriate example, worse than Black Squad, a free to play game made with UE3. It's not a big problem for me, since I don't care about graphics, but it kinda makes me question the devs skill, maybe they were not able to make it look good and run well at the same time, who knows?

• Upvote 3

35 minutes ago, Zane said:

I think the main problem with Battalion's graphics is not that it doesn't look photorealistic or anything, in my opinion the main problem is that it doesn't look visually appealing like games such as OW or even old CoDs do. It doesn't have anything to do with how the game plays but it's certantly a bummer that a game made in 2017/2018 with UE4 looks worse than old CoDs or ,to make another more approriate example, worse than Black Squad, a free to play game made with UE3. It's not a big problem for me, since I don't care about graphics, but it kinda makes me question the devs skill, maybe they were not able to make it look good and run well at the same time, who knows?

i'm responding to the OP which directly linked graphics to gameplay which is completely ludicrous.

Edited by Farq-S

On 1-4-2018 at 4:00 PM, Zane said:

think the main problem with Battalion's graphics is not that it doesn't look photorealistic or anything, in my opinion the main problem is that it doesn't look visually appealing like games such as OW or even old CoDs do

I second this. Hardcore/competitive gamers that come from the older cod games (like me f.e.) care little about high res quality graphics let alone destructible environments and fully furbished houses with high details. We will simply disable most of it anyways to get that little extra fps and have less details to get distracted by.

The correct "art style", tile set, lighting and color palette chosen however does! That alone determines the atmosphere within a game, played in competitive scene. COD UO and 2 nailed it in WW2 settings (where COD WW2 utterly failed if you ask me) and COD MW nailed it in Iraqi settings.

But for me personally Bat1944 missed the boat here. It's too..."saturated" and too..ermm... trying to look realistic? I can't really grasp the WW2 atmosphere. Perhaps due to not having a single player campaign with brilliant storyline to get "in the mood"? Also, once again, the maps need to be brought back to the drawing table and redesigned to fit competitive play (CQC in center with escapes to the map edges which in turn hold more long distance fighting and not to forget rooftop access and less houses being accessible).

Its kinda like the IT movie remake; where the classic one (with Tim Curry) was frightening because of the psychological effect it had by not overdoing things and trying to hard, the remake simply emphasized on blood and gore which just not sorted the same effect. It left nothing to ones imagination.

I know the comparison is kinda of a long shot but I'm trying to make a point there which i hope will deliver the message hehe(English is not my native language).

• Upvote 2

It is also ludicrous to accept that a game looks like something that came out over 10 years ago. Oh except for better resolution I would go as far to say that old game looks better and plays better. And that is very very saaaaaaaaaad!

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

Well yeah, I don't know if they're gonna change anything on the looks of the game, but indeed even cod2 looks better than battalion atm

• Upvote 2

I'd be extremely surprised if Battalion goes anywhere at this point. There's nowhere near enough developer interaction for an Early Access title. The game needs a lot of work as at the moment it's stale and completely lacks any sort of vision. For me, developing the game on UE4 was their first mistake. Movement is clunky, it's not visually appealing in the slightest and there's almost a non-existent player base. I know they say "there's no such thing as bad publicity" but frankly the whole Shroud skin fiasco is nothing but the latter. Not to mention that the official forum is essentially ignored.

Don't get me wrong. I'd LOVE for Battalion to become a massively popular competitive FPS but if the developers don't change course soon they might as well call it quits right now as clearly something isn't working.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

1 hour ago, Duncan said:

For me, developing the game on UE4 was their first mistake.

I thought the same thing but isn't post scriptum also made with UE4. will that game also feel clunky and rough?

15 hours ago, Duncan said:

For me, developing the game on UE4 was their first mistake.

Since you are such an experienced game developer, which engine would have you used? I'm curious

Are you telling me I've registered on the forums just to say goodbye? Just say no so that I'll be able to get some sleep tonight.

55 minutes ago, shishx said:

Are you telling me I've registered on the forums just to say goodbye? Just say no so that I'll be able to get some sleep tonight.

Come back in a year.

1 hour ago, Zane said:

Since you are such an experienced game developer, which engine would have you used? I'm curious

It's ridiculous when people say things like that. This game has one of the best hit regs I've come across, especially so soon in the games release. UE4 is perfectly fine.

8 hours ago, MagicalBubba said:

It's ridiculous when people say things like that. This game has one of the best hit regs I've come across, especially so soon in the games release. UE4 is perfectly fine.

You kidding? Best hitreg?

Look at this: 

Is this the best hitreg you've came across?¬¬

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, Greenfox said:

Look at this: 

Haters will say its fake

Has science gone too far?

JK but this game has real flaws and the blind fanboys have done nothing but convince the devs of their own "superiority"

RIP PC FPS

1 hour ago, Greenfox said:

Look at this: 

It can be one of the best and still have some flaws. Both are not incompatible.

Even if they are not perfect and there are still improvements to be made, Battalion hit regs are more than correct for an early access game.

• Downvote 1

1 hour ago, Greenfox said:

Look at this: 

This footage is from the old manorhouse since then they did some tweaks to the netcode iirc and most importantly they added icons to show connection issues, you can't know if there was a problem his connection when he shot

18 hours ago, Zane said:

This footage is from the old manorhouse since then they did some tweaks to the netcode iirc and most importantly they added icons to show connection issues, you can't know if there was a problem his connection when he shot

The netcode tweaks had no specific impact to the hitreg. The only thing the devs did was to adding some icons.. which no one really needs. That's all. There is no significant improvement compared to the last update. Hitreg is still a mess and the TTK (Time to kill) is still very long.

It's ok how it is if you want to play for fun... but if you want to play competitive and because of performance...then you need a much more improved netcode. If the game have issues to register your actions in a frame of 10-20ms... then it's a mess.

10-20 ms delay might be not relevant enough for casual and fun players. But at semi-professional and professional level and in general at competitive level... it's big difference between "get a point" or to "not get a point"...it's a clear limitation that is not allowing to play properly at a competitive level. Because every millisecond is very important in eSports. It's about to get points and win.. and not only about to have some fun. That's the difference between just having fun and between playing serious because you need to qualify for a league or however. So you need a perfectly working game to make this real.

Give Hamilton a F1 car with transmission issues... he will not win a GP race for sure. Although he's 4x world champ. He will not be able to win.. not because he is not skilled enough... rather because the car is limiting him because it has some serious issues. Same for Battalion 1944. Still a lot of work for the devs. 

Edited by Greenfox

Battalion 1944 doesnt have a future lol 100 players playing average GJ dev team i do not even consider to install the game again.

• Upvote 1

12 hours ago, grizzgolf said:

I hope the next update brings back some players. This game is actually really great! 

Update is two months away though, who is going to wait that long?